Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: Weaponizing spooks, for !!SCIENCE!!  (Read 14495 times)

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
Re: Weaponizing spooks, for !!SCIENCE!!
« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2010, 11:26:11 pm »

Wait, is the drowning mechanic "old" enough to be no longer considered a spoiler?  I left my Pedantic Forumgoer Rulebook at home...

Was it ever? I mean drownings kinda common sense, it like magma = fire obvious.

I think he was using
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Not sure how many on the forum know about that either. care, mabye major spoilerz

Damnit, I'm not nearly sober enough to interpret websarcasm.  :P

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2010, 11:35:22 pm »

It's better than being knurd though.

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Weaponizing ghosts, for !!SCIENCE!!
« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2010, 02:19:29 am »

Why are there spoilers in the thread title? Can it be changed please?

I agree. It's people like him that started the whole lame-ass clown shit.

I wasn't trying to be a jerk or anything. :(
Sorry if people were upset by what I posted, unintended I assure you.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 02:25:33 am by buckets »

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2010, 06:38:31 am »

-snip-
So you got the Uristbury Plump Helmet boy?
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 17, 2010, 08:02:20 am »

So, let's clear it up:
1) Ghosts can be respawned in possibly different version by removing the slab.
2) What we need is murderous ones.
3) Do murderous ghosts follow their friends?
4) If yes, what happens if all friends are also dead?
5) In any case, we should make a temporary graveyard, destroying a ghosts's slab once it is put to rest and wait for it to respawn. If not murderous, rebuild and repeat.
6) If #3 is true, then the best course of action is to take a large group of useless migrants, kill all but one (or maybe even everyone depending on answer to #4) in the entrance hall and somehow make the remaining one live there.
Did I miss something?

Urk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2010, 08:05:16 am »

Using ghosts to fend off sieges seems bit impractical, but they are perfect for doomsday device.

Think about it, those evil siegers crushed your army and are now marching to your fortress slaughtering civilians and there is nothing to be done to prevent it anymore, then you order doomsday lever to be pulled which causes front entrance to collapse trapping everything inside and also collapses burial area to release restless ancients who will punish those disturbing their peaceful rest.

Then there will be disturbingly evil smile on your face for some time when you think those unlucky goblins/orcs/humans/elfs who are wandering in dark tunnels of doomed fortress being haunted and tortured by its unforgiving deceased owners and never to be see sunlight again.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2010, 08:11:50 am »

Do we even know if ghosts will kill our enemies?

This reminds me of the mermaid thread. Tons of discussion and reveling and witty wordplay but precious little actual scientific !!fun!!.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2010, 08:15:14 am »

This reminds me of the mermaid thread. Tons of discussion and reveling and witty wordplay but precious little actual scientific !!fun!!.
Nah, the !!fun!! dwindled out after release of 31.01, when mermaids stopped being butcherable. Before that...

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2010, 12:56:34 pm »

Do we even know if ghosts will kill our enemies?

We know they kill adventurers.
The least you could have done was throw down some booze and seasoning. Abyssal Monsters that Creatures of the Light Know Not Of aren't savages, y'know. Sharing's caring.

KhazâdAimênu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Weaponizing ghosts, for !!SCIENCE!!
« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2010, 01:03:32 pm »

(I don't know about "running" water, but I don't see why it would make a difference)
In some of the myths, vampires at least can't cross running water. I wouldn't put it past Toady to implement something like this, though if I had to guess I'd say he probably didn't.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 17, 2010, 01:23:54 pm »

Well to add a little more !!science!! to the thread.

Burying just one part of a dwarf in a coffin is enough to put them to rest. I had a dwarf get his arm chopped off and then die, he came back as a ghost. I let them bury the arm, but left the corpse forbidden and that was enough to put him to rest. Not sure if it has any practical value since we have slabs though.

Invading enemy dwarves (from goblin ambushes) can become ghosts. The two I got didn't hang around the body though, they both haunted my barracks (which is funny because they were both killed by caravan guards not my dwarves).

Dwarf liaisons can become ghosts too. In this case, he did haunt his body (standing literally on top of it most of the time).

Not sure if regular dwarf traders/guards can become ghosts or not. I suspect they can, since you bury them, but I've not had very many die and none became ghosts yet.

I doubt anything else can become a ghost, despite the fact you can make slabs for them. Regular goblins surely don't and human traders/guards don't seem to either. If I can get the humans to siege me I'll try killing a few weaponmasters/important civ figures and see if they come back but I doubt it. Elves probably don't even have souls at all, so I doubt they are even useful as post-mortem fortress guards.

I've not had any really harmful ghosts yet, so I can't say if they attack invaders or not.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 17, 2010, 03:13:57 pm »

Question: do ghosts whose slabs were destroyed respawn where the slab was, where the body was, where they were in life frequently or randomly?
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Ipwnurmom221

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 17, 2010, 09:46:19 pm »

Question: do ghosts whose slabs were destroyed respawn where the slab was, where the body was, where they were in life frequently or randomly?
Thats what we've been trying to figure out. I think we can put our differences aside. For !!science!!. You monster.

I haven't had much experience with ghosts. I guess the only way we could find out where destroyed slab ghosts go is by dropping dwarves into spike pits, making slabs for them, and destroying the slabs. Watch the ghost and report what happens.

I lost my fort to a goblin siege (how did i fail that defense?), but when i rebuild my new fort, i'll start ghost tests.

Do ghosts mainly come from unhappy dwarves?
"I haven't seen my parents in nearly a year, I can't move a foot in any direction, I spend all my days being attacked by animals, and I've been forced to drink sheep puke- wow that's a nice floor grate!"

KojaK

• Bay Watcher
  • KojaK cancels job: interrupted by Dwarf Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 17, 2010, 10:58:16 pm »

Elves probably don't even have souls at all,

You're terrible.
Quote from: Airpi
A normal ballista does damage by piercing with overlarge arrows, a dwarven ballista does damage by crushing with entire trees.

They will run, naked, into the caverns and roll around in whatever nearby filth is available.  Watch for gory explosions.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 18, 2010, 09:31:27 am »

Thats what we've been trying to figure out. I think we can put our differences aside. For !!science!!. You monster.

I haven't had much experience with ghosts. I guess the only way we could find out where destroyed slab ghosts go is by dropping dwarves into spike pits, making slabs for them, and destroying the slabs. Watch the ghost and report what happens.

I lost my fort to a goblin siege (how did i fail that defense?), but when i rebuild my new fort, i'll start ghost tests.

Do ghosts mainly come from unhappy dwarves?

Urist McTestSubject didn't survive his magma swimming test, but we're glad he got burned, think of all the things we've learned, for the dwarves who are still alive!

And I think ghosts come from all sorts, happy or not. Just don't bury them. I think it only determines what kind of ghost spawns. But that's just me thinking. Maybe a violent death produces more angry ghosts... can try the trader-meets-goblin-siege-in-a-trap test to find out.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10