Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: Weaponizing spooks, for !!SCIENCE!!  (Read 14513 times)

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
Re: Weaponizing spooks, for !!SCIENCE!!
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2010, 09:11:08 am »

I really want to say something original about how Bay12 forum is the only one where ANYthing ingame can and will be weaponized (yes, I remember that passage from tvtropes about how someone covered goblins in water and then melted the fat off them via bugged magma), but everyone on this subject has already been said. Amen.

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2010, 10:41:51 am »

Why are there spoilers in the thread title? Can it be changed please?

I agree. It's people like him that started the whole lame-ass clown shit.

Hey! I like the clown reference. And it makes sense, Clowns cause fun, Demons cause FUN. I always liked it less as a stop to spoiling anything, but so it isn't accidental. Ghosts though were nowhere near as hidden.
The least you could have done was throw down some booze and seasoning. Abyssal Monsters that Creatures of the Light Know Not Of aren't savages, y'know. Sharing's caring.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2010, 10:55:42 am »

hfs was perfectly fine and reasonable.

but now it's changing every month or so, more so the name for the blue stuff/cotton candy/spoilerimum/whatever it's called this week.

which all it does is causing a mess for people searching for stuff, while there is a perfectly working spoiler tag which is just fine for this stuff.

it's not like this is a 10yo infested forum, isn't it?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2010, 11:19:27 am »

I generally just refer to it as HFS. I have no qualms about spoiling adamantine, because it's so easy to find.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2010, 02:15:58 pm »

Tee hee, thread derailment in less than ten posts. Nicely done. Just don't collapse the thread cavern section.
Ghosts are pretty unhidden, everyone will get some eventually with or without digging out adamantine or breaching heck. So there's no point in spoilering them. Calling them various funny names, however, is fine by me, as long as it's funny or at least !!funny!!.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2010, 02:42:43 pm »

Yes, what's next?

Will
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
be called purples or something?
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2010, 02:56:48 pm »

Tee hee, thread derailment in less than ten posts. Nicely done. Just don't collapse the thread cavern section.
Ghosts are pretty unhidden, everyone will get some eventually with or without digging out adamantine or breaching heck. So there's no point in spoilering them. Calling them various funny names, however, is fine by me, as long as it's funny or at least !!funny!!.
Let's go where no dorf has gone before and name
Subject 0s!

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
Re: Weaponizing ghosts, for !!SCIENCE!!
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2010, 07:26:45 pm »

ANYWAY BACK ON TOPIC

have we confirmed absolutely what they can pass though (i'm yet to get my first 1.17 fort up and running)?
LIke can they move through open air? (with out a floor tile?)
Fast running water?
Fast Running magma?
Slade?
They can fly, move through water (I don't know about "running" water, but I don't see why it would make a difference) and solid rock. From these we can probably safely infer magma and slade too.

From what I've seen:
Removing slabs can cause ghosts to respawn, but not instantly, and maybe not necessarily.
Interestingly, the same seems to apply to removing slabs where the individual never became a ghost to begin with. If this holds for all dwarves, it means that with constant careful rebuilding, you can have #ghosts = #casualties.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2010, 07:36:57 pm »

Dwarfigi's Fortress.
His brother, Dwarfio, disappears after they win a fortress.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Kate Wissen

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Engineer
    • View Profile
    • http://katewissen.blogspot.com/
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2010, 08:09:52 pm »

I mentioned this in a different thread, but it's much more poignant here. If you build the slab and put the ghost to rest. You can destroy that slab and the ghost will come back as a possibly different version. I had a restless spirit turn murderous in this way. I don't know if it the return is a sure thing, but that could be experimented on.
Check out my current Community Fortress LostPages.

One day I hope to create the Monkey Torture Chamber of Doom!

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2010, 10:07:26 pm »

Forlorn spirits don't seem to do anything. They're probably not very useful.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2010, 10:36:06 pm »

I hope ghosts can't pass through slade.  It is supposed to be the outer border of hell, after all; if it can't hold back a ghost it isn't doing its job.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

duckInferno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2010, 10:38:20 pm »

I had a baby die from being bereft of air in a flooded pump stack (I like to call it "the old stack" and imagine dwarves camped in the legendary dining room scaring each other with legends relating to the Old Stack's origins/happenings).  The baby marshmellow man pretty much just hung out there, floating through the walls and generally looking incredibly terrifying... a marshmellow man baby at the bottom of a dark and flooded pump stack a 100z's under the surface of the earth... yeah, I'd wet myself.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 10:40:19 pm by duckInferno »
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2010, 11:19:14 pm »

Wait, is the drowning mechanic "old" enough to be no longer considered a spoiler?  I left my Pedantic Forumgoer Rulebook at home...

Was it ever? I mean drownings kinda common sense, it like magma = fire obvious.

bdunwithat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2010, 11:23:29 pm »

Wait, is the drowning mechanic "old" enough to be no longer considered a spoiler?  I left my Pedantic Forumgoer Rulebook at home...

Was it ever? I mean drownings kinda common sense, it like magma = fire obvious.

I think he was using

Not sure how many on the forum know about that either. care, mabye major spoilerz
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10