Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: Weaponizing spooks, for !!SCIENCE!!  (Read 14525 times)

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Weaponizing ghosts, for !!SCIENCE!!
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2010, 05:46:11 pm »

Use burrows to cause idle couples of dwarves until they marry and have children then make them sleep on the floor and such followed by sleeping on the floor, going out into the sun to puke etc. Then when already miserable butcher the children in front of them and then one spouse and then the other. If you make a slab for the dead child right away you should only have the option of two really miserable dwarves being ghosts.

-

Upright spikes cause the game to crash druid. The new announcement colors apparently had a bit of a glitch.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2010, 05:49:10 pm »

I feel so at home. So good. We've just learned that we're now having ghosts in our fortresses and one of the first things that crops up is weaponizing them. This is truly Dwarf Fortress. I love you !!scientists!!.

Actually, KillerClowns made a pretty nice scheme here.

I'm trying to keep as many dwarves as possible (droves of axedwarves all the way!) and thus thinking about using traders - if they get ghostified that is. Can do the same with a depot - wall it off, drop something dangerous in once they get mad, watch the show, wait for the berserker ghost fortress guards.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2010, 05:49:53 pm »

Because upright spear traps crash the game in .17
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

NinjaE8825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2010, 05:50:02 pm »

Why would you get rid of the ghost children?
Those are the best part!

Traders do get ghostified, btw.

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2010, 06:28:39 pm »

Upright spikes cause the game to crash druid. The new announcement colors apparently had a bit of a glitch.
SO that's what happened. I thought it was just my computer failing me.
The least you could have done was throw down some booze and seasoning. Abyssal Monsters that Creatures of the Light Know Not Of aren't savages, y'know. Sharing's caring.

Leeko

• Bay Watcher
  • Wab.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2010, 06:33:51 pm »

Has it not yet occurred to anyone that violent, killer ghosts would be just as dangerous to the inhabitants of the fortress as to invaders? More than likely they would just maul the dwarves. They can path through walls and fly and stuff.
"Asen Zoz, 'The Gravel of Pondering' - This is a Alunite Harp. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. On the item is an image of Blossomeven the Cold Tactics the perfect precious fire opal in Precious fire opal."

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2010, 06:35:34 pm »

Has it not yet occurred to anyone that violent, killer ghosts would be just as dangerous to the inhabitants of the fortress as to invaders? More than likely they would just maul the dwarves. They can path through walls and fly and stuff.
Thats why testing is being done to see if you can build memorials for them to make your fort safe, then destroy the memorial stone to unleash their righteous fury on the invading forces who you will naturally blame for the destruction of their monument.  ;D
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

NinjaE8825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2010, 06:44:24 pm »

We're operating under the assumption that they don't move too far from their usual haunting grounds.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2010, 06:51:51 pm »

We're operating under the assumption that they don't move too far from their usual haunting grounds.
Also that.  If they can be made to re-haunt the fortress by destroying their memorial, I wonder if they would appear near the memorial/grave site or if they would appear near their original haunt.   If the former, then you could build the memorials under ledges outside and laugh as seiges are torn apart by unkillable beasts.
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Oxinabox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2010, 07:19:26 pm »

have we confirmed absolutely what they can pass though (i'm yet to get my first 1.17 fort up and running)?
LIke can they move through open air? (with out a floor tile?)
Fast running water?
Fast Running magma?
Slade?

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2010, 07:36:23 pm »

Hard to test slade.  I doubt it will affect them...
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

Ipwnurmom221

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2010, 08:13:28 pm »

I wonder if you can cage them somehow. Or hurt them.
"I haven't seen my parents in nearly a year, I can't move a foot in any direction, I spend all my days being attacked by animals, and I've been forced to drink sheep puke- wow that's a nice floor grate!"

mrtspence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2010, 10:04:55 pm »

Also that.  If they can be made to re-haunt the fortress by destroying their memorial, I wonder if they would appear near the memorial/grave site or if they would appear near their original haunt.   If the former, then you could build the memorials under ledges outside and laugh as seiges are torn apart by unkillable beasts.

That would be the classiest "Fuck the World" switch ever--one that releases a host of murderous spirits all across the map! Those gobbos would regret toppling your civilization then!

Plutoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2010, 10:20:33 pm »

This makes me think of LOTR.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2010, 10:21:49 pm »

Glad I'm not the only one.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10