Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 30

Author Topic: IsoWorld - An Isometric worldmap viewer: Now at version 2.1! New map names!  (Read 393881 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: IsoWorld - And Isometric worldmap viewer: Now at version 0.9
« Reply #90 on: February 06, 2011, 02:33:09 pm »

Well, it was really hard trying to find where it correlated to on the DF map, but I was playing around with this, and found a really odd spike on the terrain while viewing the North America map.  I thought maybe it would be something like those spires of cotton candy, but instead it appears to just be a really, really bizzare mountain that involves an almost-sheer 133 z-level cliff.  (It's also a "Sinister" mountain.)

It's pretty funny because the surrounding land is flat as a table, and then there are just these squares of vertical risers up into the sky that gradually become cylinders, and then vaguely morph into cones about 100 z-levels up.

Having 100 z-levels of stuff to work with aboveground (too bad I didn't shut off caverns or anything) would make for a neat megaproject playground.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 20, 2011, 01:20:33 pm »

Bumping this topic to announce that I'm gonna start working on it again.

I'll be adding an optional feature allowing you to load tiles like this:

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #92 on: October 20, 2011, 01:40:20 pm »

Can't wait.

Also, it's nice to see this continuing. Should also make Adventure Mode more interesting when played alongside.

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 20, 2011, 03:35:34 pm »

Wow, a world viewer with tiles loaded?   :o

I think the only thing left after that would be a world viewer that could map the geology of the world, but I don't think that's possible so far, at least not with the legends exports.

Will be watching with great interest.
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 21, 2011, 03:22:30 am »

I think the only thing left after that would be a world viewer that could map the geology of the world, but I don't think that's possible so far, at least not with the legends exports.
It may be dove via embarking in every single point of the world (using embark everywhere) and compiling image.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 21, 2011, 04:01:02 am »

It may be dove via embarking in every single point of the world (using embark everywhere) and compiling image.
That's actually something I was considering, but I decided to go for something a bit more simple first.

right now the tiles are just saved as you see them, which is fine for an overall view, not so much for viewing underground stuff.

Storing everything in the embark square would give you more info, but would take up more space, and need more loading.

and the best way to get info for stuff like embarks is by going around as an adventurer.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 04:02:57 am by Japa »

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #96 on: October 21, 2011, 12:40:26 pm »

What can work resource-wise as a proof-of-concept test can be to just measure sea-level, and render everything upwards from there (including the outer-most geology/exposed walls), since that's the most important thing at first glance; where you can walk. And later on, expand it furthermore to go below sea-level and render the rest; but keep the former as a method/option for just finding a cool-looking location, rather than what's underneath it. If it takes longer to render than usual, then it can still work as a more detailed map of how a place would look when embarking to it from the surface.

The >Sea level rendering option would be good for those with non-high-end machines, especially since it's not as much data to sort through and process.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 02:07:27 pm by Itnetlolor »

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 23, 2011, 01:38:05 am »

Wow, being able to see the world as we've modified it would be amazing.  Actually, a tool like that could inspire a whole new kind of succession game.  Whenever a fort dies to magma, tantrums, invaders, or lag, you could just move to a new embark right next to the old embark.

After a few times, you'd be able to see all the above-ground progress of each fort.  Even though old forts might die to heat-death, you could just re-start with a new one but have a real sense of continuity and the graphical proof to back it up.  Can't wait to see this implemented.
At last, she is done.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 23, 2011, 02:33:35 am »

Well, looks like I have to add another reason to like Japa to the list.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Ethicalfive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 25, 2011, 08:01:20 am »

This is one of the most awesome utilities for DF i've ever used! How did I miss this for so long..

Choosing sites and just generally exploring the world is much more intimate an experience.

For some reason haven't been able to get the plants and things showing, just the height map and biome coloring.. Something to do with the latest DF version comparability or  am I doing it wrong?
Urist McMiner Unearths a strange pad. He trembles as he inspects it's time saving features. Knowing no 1 dwarf must posess this power, he quietly drops it into the nearest chasm and never speaks of it again.DwarfPad

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 25, 2011, 10:13:50 am »

if you press space, you swap between viewing modes, otherwise, as long as you exported all the images, it should work.

there's new export options in the new DF, so once I update things, it should be better.

Raul

• Bay Watcher
  • El Psy Kongroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 08, 2012, 10:07:35 pm »

So, is there an estimated release date for the next version, Japa? Just discovered this awesome tool today, can't wait for the next version.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 08, 2012, 10:10:09 pm »

Not really, I kinda have no time anymore, due to job

Raul

• Bay Watcher
  • El Psy Kongroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 08, 2012, 10:28:10 pm »

Oh man, and I was getting all excited about those changes you talked about months ago... Well, I hope to see some updates in the future, it is a great utility.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 09, 2012, 02:33:53 am »

Yeah, it's a good utility.  I can look around for a site with some good topology and now with the new stuff in DFHack, I can see if there's anything at the site that's actually worth exploiting.  Instead of tooling around on the map, finding a spot that looks great, and then find out after I embark I got nothing but galena, sphalerite and garnierite.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 30