Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Great Dungeon in the Sky  (Read 11879 times)

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Great Dungeon in the Sky
« on: November 15, 2010, 06:14:56 am »

Over three hundred characters you can play, all with their own little characteristics and powers, and every time you kill something you can also play as it--Yep, it's one of dem flash games. Very simplistic style and straightforward gameplay, but for some reason I find it quirky and fun. It probably doesn't have that much replay value, but I enjoyed myself.

http://www.kongregate.com/games/LordTim/great-dungeon-in-the-sky

It's pretty much a platformer-ish arcade-action game.

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Great Dungeon in the Sky
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 06:48:02 am »

Did the guy who made Realm Of The Mad God make this?

EDIT: I killed Santa...
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 07:49:35 am by Leonon »

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 08:49:44 am »

No idea, but the spriteset used in ROtMG is publicly available. Was a winner of a tigsource contest or something like that?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 10:29:14 am »

It also has the same music.  That doesn't mean it's the same team or person, like Puck said the tileset is free to use.

The game's alright, although the cooldowns on weapons mean you pretty much have to use a ranged character unless you're really good.
Shoes...

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 01:03:03 pm »

haha one of the first enemies I found and killed was a cube of purpleness.  Its only attack turns other enemies into cubes of purpleness which therefore can't hurt you. I think their purpleness attack actually heals you a bit.  The only problem is you don't get credit for killing them.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 01:23:04 pm »

Heh, oh wow. My favorite type of games are the ones with a ridiculous amount of variety in playable characters. This is a little buggy, and the gameplay is so-so, but it's hilariously fun.

Also, flying characters are cheap.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 01:29:35 pm »

haha one of the first enemies I found and killed was a cube of purpleness.  Its only attack turns other enemies into cubes of purpleness which therefore can't hurt you. I think their purpleness attack actually heals you a bit.  The only problem is you don't get credit for killing them.
I think that must be an in-joke for that graphics set:  RotMG also had cubes which didn't seem particularly strange I guess, but if you don't kill any, when you die you get some "Friend of the Cubes" bonus...
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Deadbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 02:04:46 pm »

I've played this, and yes, flying characters are OP. Especially angels.
Quote from: chmod
SEX AND HAPPINESS NOW REPORTING CORRECTLY!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 03:39:20 pm »

On my third playthrough over the last two or so days. Been just kinda' rocking everything with the thunder dragon. Basic Z attack (shock) isn't resisted by bloody anything, unlike th'fire and ice balls, so if I wanna' kill something it's a simple matter of bobbing up and down and raining lightning on the target. S'kinda sad shock has better DPS than th'triple shot thunder breath or whateveritis. Anyway, th'hundred HP the thing has means if I don't really feel like fighting I can just walk right through the level and clear it without much in th'way of risk. S'kinda silly.

Non-ranged fighters aren't that bad, actually, as most melee attacks spit out damage a lot faster than ranged ones (Go yoda go!), but ranged + flying is definitely the easiest.

Spent my unlocks so far on silver egg and cthulhu. Silver dragon's alright, if not impressive, but cthulhu sucks. A sad thing.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 04:17:57 pm »

Birdman Tribe Leader represent yo.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 05:00:36 pm »

It's hilarious that Yoda is grouped up with all the other goblins, only he has a staff.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2010, 05:10:14 pm »

Spent my unlocks so far on silver egg and cthulhu. Silver dragon's alright, if not impressive, but cthulhu sucks. A sad thing.

Whatwhatwhat? You can unlock things without defeating them?
Although the difference between some characters is pretty trivial. I would love to have a game like this with some RPG elements (level up characters one by one?)

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2010, 05:13:31 pm »

This looks interesting.  I can't wait to give it a try tonight.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2010, 05:42:56 pm »

Whatwhatwhat? You can unlock things without defeating them?

You get one unlock every time you beat the boss, which you can use by pressing C while highlighting a locked square. Beating the boss resets your exploration, but not your unlocked critters, so you can go beat th'bugger again and again and again.

Though the boss isn't exactly impressive. It's just a random large critter, same as you can run into in the normal fights, in th'upper right corner of one of the rooms.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2010, 05:46:09 pm »

beware the kraken!
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4