Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Any experts on hypnotism out there? Need to forget......  (Read 5215 times)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Re: Any experts on hypnotism out there? Need to forget......
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2010, 12:25:44 pm »

( That's why I have it! )
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Ephemeriis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2010, 12:47:57 pm »

The big problem with using hypnosis to forget trauma is that your conscious memories are the least of your problems.

There's all sort of emotional scarring, behavioral patterns, belief systems, and thought patterns that develop as a result of your life experiences - both the good and the bad.  Simply suppressing conscious memories does absolutely nothing to address the rest of the mess. 

It's like chopping off the tip of an iceberg so you can't see it anymore, and leaving that deadly mountain of (now invisible) ice floating freely.  It will come back to bite you in the ass.

Believe me, I know.

My wife suffered a lot of childhood trauma - most of which she's completely repressed.  Has no conscious memory of it at all.  And then some random smell or action or something will set her off like an emotional landmine.

She's spent years in therapy trying to work though it. 

No, just accepting something isn't generally enough.  You have to process the hurt, come to terms with what happened, come to terms with what that has meant to you as a person, deal with the assorted problems/baggage that you've picked up along the way, and accept where you are now as a result of all that.

It isn't easy.  Like I said, my wife has been working on it for years now.  But she is making progress.
Work is the curse of the drinking class.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2010, 02:36:23 am »

I might know a few tricks for not remembering.

but for a couple of years?

Dilution-
Spread the angst, the sadness, whatever it may be, among other memories, through association.

Said memories don't have to be related.

Destruction-
Memories are destroyable, eraseable. If you focus, you may somehow be able to trigger memory deletion.

If I remember correctly, It feels like a fog washing permenantly over the memory.

It may not be permenant.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2010, 09:17:16 am »

How about a frontal lobotomy? From what I hear, that has a pretty decent chance of permanently damaging your ability to feel emotions.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2010, 09:22:58 am »

How about a frontal lobotomy? From what I hear, that has a pretty decent chance of permanently damaging your ability to feel emotions.
Quiet you.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2010, 04:05:19 am »

This suggestion is unlike most other suggestions here. It would work.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2010, 06:37:41 am »

Heroin.

You'll forget everything sooner or later.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2010, 08:02:26 am »

Herpetic encephalitis. You might get an amnesic syndrome. Then again, I think that was more about getting new memories than erasing the old
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2010, 09:06:04 am »

you guys sucks.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2010, 09:08:09 am »

It would help with this specific problem though.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2010, 07:06:33 am »

To be clear, what I was talking about, are techniques where I turn my mind upon itself, and search for a solution.

Not much outside help, and especially not hypnotism.

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2010, 01:54:00 am »

My advice: use approach and not avoidance coping, and it seems like you want to use hypnosis means by which you can avoid painful memories or thoughts. Approach would require you dealing with unwanted thoughts and feelings in a positive manner. Provided that they are not extreme, this can be done rather easily if you habituate yourself to them. Meaning, expose yourself to the memories as much as possible until they no longer solicit a negitive reaction, are no longer salient, or you have accepted them and can move on with your life. Of course, if we are talking about extreme cases, then seek a local professional.

However, I can tell you that hypnosis has not proven to be an effective tool for forgetting (nor recall for that matter), but hypnosis is good for pain management, ie physical rather than mental pain, and it works well for relaxation, generally, in the research literature. 
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2010, 06:23:01 am »

I can tell you that hypnosis has not proven to be an effective tool for forgetting

Well that is because even Freudian psychology said that repressed memories are the cause of psychosis.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2010, 03:44:36 pm »

Freudian psychology  is hogwash
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2010, 05:41:50 pm »

Freudian psychology  is hogwash

I know but most psychology afterwords generally agrees with at least the statement that repression can lead to problems. So it was more of a "Even back then they said not to do it"

The difference however is modern psychology even states that depending on the circumstance, repression is a perfectly healthy response to trauma.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4