Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bridge causing crash  (Read 2203 times)

soelverstrasse

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Bridge causing crash
« on: June 12, 2008, 05:54:00 pm »

So I was merrily trading away with some fine dwarven merchants. However, I found their unwillingness to trade at a small loss unacceptable. I decided to deal with this maturely. Namely spamming the trade button.
Apparently merchants doesn't like that and the entourage decided to leave immediately to my dissatisfaction. I plotted for revenge! ( I really wanted that anvil :P )
So I raise my bridge to lock them in on my little island. All well and fine had it not been for my carpenter stuck outside. Naturally he was to be saved.
So I save him.
However the caravan is atop the bridge when a peasant pulls the lever and the game crashed from this.

I decided to tell about it here, because if I cant give money, the least I can do is to point out mistakes ( works wonders in real life too  :D).

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Bridge causing crash
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 07:48:00 pm »

Do you have a save that reproduces this?  It'll be difficult to track it down without one.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 02:18:00 pm »

I built a retracting bridge over another retracting bridge and both of them over a raising bridge, all hooked to pressure plates, so intruders and their loot get automatically disposed of. the second retracting bridge layer is there to "remember" items to drop down, should they have landed on the raising bridge when its up. although i was stupid and built the second retracting layer too high, so it doesnt work as it should (it works normally)

as of now its quite reliably crashing the game to desktop, once that goblin ambush shows up.

want save?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 09:16:33 pm »

Yeah, I'll take a look at it.  What exactly do I need to do?  Get goblins on a pressure plate?

I'll need the region folder in some kind of zip/rar/7z, and any new objects that were added to the raw folder.  If it's less than 20 megs, you can send it to toadyone@bay12games.com.  You can also try The Dwarf Fortress File Depot which has a special section for bugged saves.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 09:34:02 am »

Yeah, I'll take a look at it.  What exactly do I need to do?  Get goblins on a pressure plate?
I think thats basically it. I dont know what exactly crashes the game but im quite sure its related to the bridges, outside, that lead to the main entrance.

It's either the bridges themselves, when they start to retract/raise, or the combination of that with stuff falling. The same goblin siege caused the CTD repeatedly, normally theres goblins falling when that happens, too, but i dont know for sure.

Right now I need to get some stuff done, but when i get home ill upload the folder. i dont know how much smaller it will get from packing it up, right now its 24mb.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 04:00:11 pm »

i dont know how much smaller it will get from packing it up, right now its 24mb.

Probably not much, plan on using the DFFD.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 08:39:31 pm »

Ok, I dug through some folders (well actually it was the recycle bin already) and found the save.
I let it run a bit and when that ambush showed up, I quickly saved again, because I thought that would be convenient.

Then I launched DF and tried it about ten times. I managed to pull it off twice, once on the first try, and just now. Together with when I built the fortress it's 4 of 14, not too bad, ey. I'd say it happens when all three plates (the first set intruders would have to pass) are triggered simultaneously.

I couldnt bother to register at that DFhost, so I chugged it over to http://www.megaupload.com/?d=F7DANFG0

Oh, and now that I have your attention: DF is easily one of the best games I ever played, thank you very much. I'm (pretty much) around since "Pong", so I guess that means at least something  ;D

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 11:36:44 pm »

Okay, I've downloaded the file and I'll take a look at it at some point.  The save stack has grown quite large yet again.