Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Water to toxic blood (rant!)  (Read 4446 times)

Mortiss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Water to toxic blood (rant!)
« on: November 14, 2010, 11:55:33 am »

This is really annoying! Every time a dwarf walks over a puddle of water, it spontaneously becomes a blood of killed creatures.
Since I have once killed a F. Beast whose blood causes unconsciousness/nausea, every time there is even tiniest patch of water on a walkway I get cancellation spam, disorganization and vomit everywhere!
Not a good thing in a fortress that contains lots of waterways/channels (mainly used for Goblin flushing)

The "dfcleanmap" can only go so far..... this really should be fixed ASAP.  :(

End rant.
"You are not going crazy! You are going sane in the crazy world!"

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Water to toxic blood (rant!)
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 12:20:03 pm »

Fixed? It's a feature, and I quite like this one. I make shower areas to wash my dwarves of toxic fluids just for this reason.

Also there's a toggle-able option which stops your dwarves from dragging the blood around now (by default).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Mortiss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 12:29:14 pm »

Fixed? It's a feature, and I quite like this one. I make shower areas to wash my dwarves of toxic fluids just for this reason.

Also there's a toggle-able option which stops your dwarves from dragging the blood around now (by default).

I sincerely hope you are joking. :)
How can this be a feature.
1. You flush a corridor and leave few puddles of water
2. A (reasonably) clean dwarf walks past. The water suddenly becomes tainted with blood of monsters killed 5 years ago.
3. All other dwarves walk in this mess and become sick and puking.

How is that logically possible? I know its a fantasy world etc. but saying "The evil wizard did it." just doesn't cut if for me.

I am not worried about the spreading - that is indeed off by default.

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 12:34:08 pm »

I remember that firstish fort in 31 was funny because all creatures except dwarves (they had shoes) had warts on they paws/feets :D Cave blobs caused it. I think a reasonable solution would be either make some running water system to wash it away OR it should be fixed by ordering e.g. clean this area OR maybe some sort of drying?

Edit: drying as in: dried blood does not return into normal blood when exposed to water. It just washes away.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 12:45:55 pm by darius »

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 12:42:10 pm »

The water didn't spontaneously become blood; there was blood dried onto the boots of the working dwarves, and the water washed it off, allowing it to get onto exposed flesh.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 12:46:15 pm »

Yea, you just need a freshwater shower system complete with a airlock to prevent unsanitary dwarves from tracking blood into the fortress.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Mortiss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 01:12:19 pm »

The water didn't spontaneously become blood; there was blood dried onto the boots of the working dwarves, and the water washed it off, allowing it to get onto exposed flesh.

Ok, than I am just feeling silly.  :-\ I have never noticed this (dried blood on the shoe) in the inventory of an individual dwarf.
Still kinda hard to believe - a beast killed more than 5 year ago and its blood still there even after so many walk through water/puking events.

Yea, you just need a freshwater shower system complete with a airlock to prevent unsanitary dwarves from tracking blood into the fortress.
You refer to a waterfall flowing through a walking area complete with a drain?
I assume then that a channel of low level flowing water across the main street also work ?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 01:14:04 pm by Mortiss »

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 12:26:09 am »

It's a feature, but a really broken one.

It would be one thing if blood got smeared around and eventually was diluted to the point where it vanished. Then I'd say sure, feature, be careful of the forgotten beast ooze.

However, blood just tracks forever and instead of being diluted it actually just gets bigger. Water, instead of instantly diluting it, seems to massively multiply it and spread it all over the place.

And just to make things that much more insulting there's no good way to actually get your dwarves to break out the mop and bucket and clean that crap up. Alot of the time they won't even rinse it off themselves (till they step in a puddle and start it spreading again).

But you're right, there's an option now and it does help quite alot. It's still broken though and makes no sense either from a gameplay or realism standpoint.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 08:24:24 am »

However, blood just tracks forever
It's not because there's an init option for this until it's fixed now.

I consider it a minor issue right now, but it was a major one when all your halls were COVERED with blood. I don't say it's not a broken feature, it's just a cool thing that needs tweaking.

I have never noticed this (dried blood on the shoe) in the inventory of an individual dwarf.
I think various covering are not shown in the inventory in Fortress mode (to avoid cluttered interface).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 08:41:07 am »

However, blood just tracks forever
It's not because there's an init option for this until it's fixed now.
What init option and when was it fixed? I'm on .12 and blood spread around like some sentient vengeful grass
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 12:59:57 pm »

What init option and when was it fixed? I'm on .12 and blood spread around like some sentient vengeful grass

Sigged (albeit with changes to add contextual sense).

As for the init option...

Try

[WALKING_SPREADS_SPATTER_DWF:NO]
[WALKING_SPREADS_SPATTER_ADV:YES]

in d_init.txt

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2010, 01:06:54 pm »

The "walking spreads" is really only a fraction of the problem.

To really solve it you need to spam dfcleanmap the moment one of your dwarves gets washed off.
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 08:33:07 pm »

This just recently happened to me. It killed half of my dwarves and ruined my fortress. Now whenever i generate a world i turn savagery to max and beasts to min.

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 11:59:16 pm »

This just recently happened to me. It killed half of my dwarves and ruined my fortress. Now whenever i generate a world i turn savagery to max and beasts to min.

Don't forget that losing is fun.
Urist McPeasant cancels point and laugh at Philosopher - Philosopher no longer exists.
Philosopher cancels job: abstractualize existence: interrupted by personal nonexistence.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2011, 12:08:11 am »

Looks like someone's been brushing up on their necromancy. ;)
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*
Pages: [1] 2