Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 251

Author Topic: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!  (Read 210648 times)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!
« Reply #3600 on: November 17, 2014, 03:45:34 pm »

You wont even get to shoot back. The JPE is often just too unwieldy, they have PLENTY of time to see you coming. Sometimes you can sneak a shot in - but often these are in ambush/sniping scenarios or when they drive into you unknowingly, which is how all TDs work, so you're not really playing like a heavy in that situation.

As a front line vehicle it's just too easy to avoid to be worthwhile

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!
« Reply #3601 on: November 17, 2014, 05:18:42 pm »

Yeah, you can't trade effectively because you are too big and too slow to do peekaboom and your reload is too long to justify staying in the open. That means that for every one shot you'll take atleast two or more shots in return, which isn't ideal.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3602 on: November 17, 2014, 06:57:51 pm »

In this case since most maps were turned into corridors can't you just preaim and wait for them?
Those HT wrestling spots are often safe from SPGs and usually safe from camping TDs.

Also you seem to assume everyone has common sense and uses gold ammo.
From emy experience it's usually not the case unless i'm against someone blue or better and those are not that common so the armor will likely hold up well enough as long as whe lower glacis is covered up or angled.

One purple player is a problem but it's possible to deal with him if his team lemmings out of existence.
A Purple platoon just means that i (in the ferdi) camp at base and hope to rack up as much damage as i can before the game ends 0-15.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3603 on: November 17, 2014, 09:40:20 pm »

Do you play on NA? NA has a lot more gold use than EU or especially RU.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3604 on: November 17, 2014, 09:52:58 pm »

EU. And i see gold but it's not like every time i get in a E75 or ST-I (the heaviest tanks i have) i get shot by gold exclusively by everyone who has direct LoS to me.
The only eveption seems to be E100's that usually use gold for obvious reasons.

But that's EU for you where 90% of the population is strapped for cash both ingame and IRL :P
Self promotion below.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3605 on: November 18, 2014, 03:12:07 am »

I penned an angled JgPzE100's lower front plate from almost 400 m away 8 times in a row(he then back off) with Centurion's middle gun. I see them either shoot once or twice and die or hold half the enemy team who dont want to rush it and know how to deal with it for minutes.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3606 on: November 18, 2014, 08:07:27 am »

I penned an angled JgPzE100's lower front plate from almost 400 m away 8 times in a row.
He had to be cresting a hill and you had to use gold shells.

There is no other way because even unangled and pointing its front directly at you it has 230-250 mm of effective armor... and that's ot counting penetration loss over range.
Otherwise it had to be some serb grade RNG going on.
Self promotion below.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3607 on: November 18, 2014, 11:43:55 am »

I penned an angled JgPzE100's lower front plate from almost 400 m away 8 times in a row.
He had to be cresting a hill and you had to use gold shells.

There is no other way because even unangled and pointing its front directly at you it has 230-250 mm of effective armor... and that's ot counting penetration loss over range.
Otherwise it had to be some serb grade RNG going on.

Standard shells: I was very surprised of the first pen and decided to shoot some more and see if it works. I was one of only 3 tier 8s in that match so I had little else to do. Erlenberg from south, I was in the eastern side hills hull down a bit south of those buildings, he was NNW in the open. He later managed to hide his lfp from me by using that elevated road.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3608 on: November 18, 2014, 01:30:46 pm »

Well theres the chance you hit the miniscule weakspot where the side hull armor is not covered by the massive tracks and spaced armor.
That spot is around 160 mm effective and those shots could pen there with ease (E100 shares this design flaw) but that would require quite a bit of luck to hit 8 times in a row.
Self promotion below.

Erils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3609 on: December 16, 2014, 02:40:51 pm »

that would require quite a bit of luck to hit 8 times in a row.
I think that "a bit of luck" is quite an understatement for this situation.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3610 on: December 16, 2014, 03:21:11 pm »

Some neat events going on. WZ-111, Grosstraktor, T-34-85M, BT-SV, Obj 907, M60, and 7201 are all being sold/rewarded, Pz II D being given as an xmas gift. WZ-111, BT-SV, and the 907 all look particularly good, Grosstraktor looks bad, T-34-85M seems about average. Pz II D is really hard to pinpoint, the gun's pen is really, really bad but the armour is decent, it's small, has okay mobility, and has a tooooon of HP. Could be trash, could be fine.

I don't plan on shelling out the horrid price for the BT-SV or WZ-111, but I think I've won the 907 via clanwars. Happy to have done so.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3611 on: December 20, 2014, 10:18:10 am »

Yeah I'm clannless so no chance of ever getting one of those fancy clan wars tanks. Not gonna bother with the WZ-111 mission as its a bit too much work for me.

I am kinda interested in seeing how much work the "Personal Missions" are going to be, as that DDR NVA T-55 would be glorious to have.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3612 on: December 21, 2014, 12:08:57 pm »

The missions seem pretty doable for the most part, heck, they even force you to learn some basic concepts that 90% of the playerbase fails to grasp, like scouting, angling armour and fucking map awareness.

Trouble is, the higher you go up the reward tree the more difficult they become. So you'll be grinding the same mission goals but instead of scouting 3 tanks you'll need to scout 5, and then 7 and so on. At a certain point it becomes rather luck dependant because while you may be good enough to fulfill the primary or secondary goal, atleast a part of it will depend on your team. And you can never ever rely on your team to not be shit, ever.

Also apparently they'll be regular tanks with crew training capabilities, no money bonus whatsoever which makes them kinda not too attractive for me, however sexy the T55 might look it's pretty much a carbon copy of the T54 which will require far less frustration to get.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3613 on: January 15, 2015, 10:01:40 am »

Welp personal missions started, tiem to try and put effort into this game.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3614 on: January 15, 2015, 05:09:32 pm »

Personal missions are a neat concept, but they are definitely making players play worse in order to complete them. Also, there's a big push for players to play the less used classes (lights and spgs), so I'm seeing a lot more of those now. Not sure if the game is balanced around that much diversity.
Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 251