Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 251

Author Topic: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!  (Read 210709 times)

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!
« Reply #3510 on: September 15, 2014, 02:29:48 pm »

I went for the light line myself. Mostly because they give you better guns and in the end you can save up some XP on the WZ-120 if you unlock one of the 100mm's on the WZ-132.

Yeah better guns except for 59-16(that WZ-132 looks crazy!) but also much harder matchmaking as they're scouts. I play mostly alone and with these new and tweaked corridor maps I like to be able to carry games alone when needed every now and then.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!
« Reply #3511 on: September 15, 2014, 03:02:24 pm »

Yeah, they do make you work for them. But the recent changes to light tank MM somewhat fixed that problem so it's not as bad as it was.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3512 on: September 17, 2014, 02:03:37 am »

Also the T6 KV-1S will recieve a 100mm gun, which, if preliminary supertest stats are anything to go by will be even more broken than the 122mm is now. It'll have 170 pen and about 8 RoF with 250 damage per shot, giving it stupidly high DPM, making it much better than any of its peers.

Ehhh. First off, that cannon is almost identical to the M6's 90mm. 10 more pen, 10 more damage, slower aimtime and much worse APCR. That's not gamebreaking. Secondly, the tank now has -3 gun depression (that is disgustingly bad), lost a lot of its speed (43 top speed -> 34 top speed, lost .7 hp/ton), loses more of its accuracy when moving around, and lost some of its frontal armor. It won't be nearly as good as it was.

Found this one a couple of pages back.

From what it seems, the coming nerfs to KV-1Sport and Hellcat will balance the tier 6 a lot. To me, there no longer seems to be a single best option for each role which should diversify the player tank choices a lot. Currently, Hellcat is played 2,7 times more than all other tier 6 TDs combined and when it comes to heavies KV-1S is nearly as dominant. I have a feeling that at least initially the T-150 will be used for the heavy substitute but that can change quickly as it isnt anywhere near as versatile as the currently KV-1S.

As Chaffee will also be changed, I think we'll be seeing a lot more of 59-16 and the borderline OP(for its tier) Type 64 in Strongholds and tier 6 Company games from now on, supporting T-150s, M6 heavys, T-34-85s, VK.30.01Ds, Cromwells and probably the odd Hellcat as it will still be a fast tank with a good gun.

edit: KV-1S getting nerfed and dropped to tier 5 will be just another target for T49, that is also waaaaay overdue a needed nerf.  :P
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 02:07:56 am by Erkki »

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3513 on: September 17, 2014, 06:29:22 am »

Well i already sold my KV-1s ages ago. KV-85 will retain the 390 alpha gun and honestly? That's all it needs.
it can still oneshot most TDs. The high damage almost assures a oneshot ammo explosion if it hits the ammorack (well 25% chance) the changes to the accuracy mechanics make the 0.5 acc a nonissue (unless you are sniping but as it's often proven by KV-2's even shit accuracy does not mean you can't hit someone 400 meters away straight into their viewport).

The whole thing about KV-1s was the simple routine of:
Pop out.
Plant a heavy shell in someones face.
Get back into hard cover.
Repeat every 15 seconds or so.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3514 on: September 17, 2014, 06:39:12 am »

Well i already sold my KV-1s ages ago. KV-85 will retain the 390 alpha gun and honestly? That's all it needs.
it can still oneshot most TDs. The high damage almost assures a oneshot ammo explosion if it hits the ammorack (well 25% chance) the changes to the accuracy mechanics make the 0.5 acc a nonissue (unless you are sniping but as it's often proven by KV-2's even shit accuracy does not mean you can't hit someone 400 meters away straight into their viewport).

The whole thing about KV-1s was the simple routine of:
Pop out.
Plant a heavy shell in someones face.
Get back into hard cover.
Repeat every 15 seconds or so.

For randoms, yeah, the way most people play the derp tanks now it'll be more or less just as good or bad as now... However what replaces it at tier 6 will have -3 gun depression(right now 1S has -8), apparently worse gun soft stats, and it will be much slower and less agile. Until now there has been little reason to use anything but KV-1S and Hellcat for Company/Stronghold games because those 2 tanks can do just about anything better than the alternatives, and I was talking about how I see that to be changing now as they are both getting nerfed. For the same reasons KV-2 is not used I cant see how it'd make sense to use the KV-85 with 122mm gun either.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3515 on: September 17, 2014, 10:29:36 am »

@sonli Almost no one will use the KV-85's 122mm and I highly, highly recommend you don't use it. It's been nerfed to the point where you're crippling yourself equipping it - and that's exactly what wargaming wants.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3516 on: September 17, 2014, 12:11:36 pm »

@sonli Almost no one will use the KV-85's 122mm and I highly, highly recommend you don't use it. It's been nerfed to the point where you're crippling yourself equipping it - and that's exactly what wargaming wants.

Not going to. I already have KV-2 as my tier 6 tank of choice.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3517 on: September 24, 2014, 02:48:55 pm »

T-34-1 is a good tank, I'm sure you'll like it.

I've only now gotten the money to buy it. Used free-XP to get the best turret, bought best engine from previous tank... but apparently I forgot to mount it. Or at least the tank felt rather sluggish. Could have been the stock tracks with super high ground resistance or something. Bad crew, 90% retrain and not even sixth sense. First skills training at 90-something %.

First battle, Fiery Salient/Prohorovka, I'm top tier. I go to the hill(north start) while most of my team, bar 2 TDs that camp the West, and a KV that follows me, just sit 200 meters behind me... Yeah it looks like its going to be one of those matches again.

Lots of enemies on the hill including a Tiger platoon... Resulting in 3k spot damage, 2,4k that I did myself 4 kills and mastery badge with 1401 raw XP! I'm liking that pen, alpha and tough turret! I shot 27 out of the 34 shells and ran out of AP so I had to finish off the tiger with an APCR. Look at all those misses on the KV-1S! First I shot early as I thought it was going to disappear behind a building, then dinged one from its back, and then just kept plain missing fully aimed shots. Luckily it got better after that.

I'll upload the replay soon... I've only managed first-game + ace mastery badge on one tank before, the premium T-25.

Replay:
http://www.wotreplays.org/replay/5423205f9c81a53cfa010000.html
http://dl.wotreplays.org/Y/0/T/c/b/R/G/Y0TcbRG-20140924_2226_china-Ch04_T34_1_96_prohorovka_defense.wotreplay
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 03:02:56 pm by Erkki »

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3518 on: September 24, 2014, 02:56:34 pm »

Looks like wotreplays just went down because it's patch day. Congrats, though! The T-34-1 is one of the best T7 meds, the only one I like more is the T20 (same big punch with a ton of gun depression and good gun handling), but I always did love how ridiculously tough the T-34-1's turret can be.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3519 on: September 24, 2014, 02:57:54 pm »

Looks like wotreplays just went down because it's patch day. Congrats, though! The T-34-1 is one of the best T7 meds, the only one I like more is the T20 (same big punch with a ton of gun depression and good gun handling), but I always did love how ridiculously tough the T-34-1's turret can be.

The link to the replay itself works, I just added it. I like the T20 alot myself too, although somehow it cant, in my hands, carry as well as Panther or Comet. It could be the long reload time.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3520 on: September 29, 2014, 08:03:38 pm »

Chaffee racing mode is surprisingly fun.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3521 on: September 29, 2014, 10:02:40 pm »

So are the new lights. The T37 is a better T21, the M41 Bulldog is a better T71, and the RU251 and T54 LT are better versions of the WZ-132. The T49 LT is something completely fun and different, albeit not incredibly powerful. All high/mid tier lights also had their track HP buffed and, in a future patch, it's likely we'll see heavies/meds/tds lose some view range, making lights the premier spotting class without having to play in a 10m safezone before meds can spot them.

All in all, it's nice to see lights being made more competitive. Right now it hasn't quite hit home, yet - even though these new lights are better than what we've had thus far, they're still not on par with the winning power a medium or heavy gives you - but they are certainly in a much better place than they were a patch ago, and will be at least respectable when the rest of the rebalance hits.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 10:04:15 pm by Rex_Nex »

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3522 on: September 29, 2014, 11:15:35 pm »

Dunno, the new lights seem to be, instead of better scouts and harassers, just closer to mediums in how they can engage tanks directly on their own. I'm kind of worried about what will happen in Stronghold, 7vs7 and company games where these new monster lights get to play at their own tiers... Many lights were already very powerful(type 64, 59-16, wz132 and especially 1390).

However it'd seem that the tank diversity has finally returned to tier 6! Lots of Kv85s and Hellcats still around but not in as huge numbers as before!

Ant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3523 on: September 29, 2014, 11:36:44 pm »

The new lights are a nightmare, especially to me playing against them :) T49 I've yet to see, but the others are 'medium' lights as in moderate frontals and high pen guns. Only thing they lack is the cassette. Walker's gun seems to pen IS-2 reliably in the front angles, and T37 at least at 90 degrees. The russian letters lt is HP beast, and 59-16 can't pen it's side with autoloader. They really tickle my fancy as fast opportunist loving player, will return to them when I get them for spins.

I was surprised to see the KV hegemony to really be impacted by the split. Have anyone tried the new KVs? Playing against them makes them seem as the 85 would be similar to driving old 1s with 50% crew. The number of french heavies seem to have gone up, almost all T5-7 matches have one or two per side. But had one interesting match with 6 tigers of both types- on both sides, and me in stock Comet :P There's times when free exp is mandatory, and stock comet's one of them.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3524 on: September 29, 2014, 11:50:29 pm »

That Kv85 when armed with the 100mm gun seems to be on paper very similar to the M6... Probably better turret armor and slightly smaller, but with longer aim time and 5 degrees of gun depression less. That is a lot.

I'm expecting (probably well-earned) nerfs in the future so I wont be getting the new lights yet, and will instead stay with my mediums. Just a hundred or so games more and I'll have played 75% mediums. :)
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 251