Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 251

Author Topic: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!  (Read 210868 times)

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

EDIT BEFORE POSTING: Watched the replay very slowly; I actually hit the gun mantle, which I doubt should be able to bounce like that, but I'll consider it possible.

I was previously watching from a slightly different angle where it looked like it hit the rearmost part of the side (mind you, he was perpendicular to me, so a bounce from there shouldn't be possible).
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Welp did something stupid with March/Aprils freeby gold and splurged on a SU-100Y, took awhile to really decide on it but eh, seemed like the most intriguing of the tier 6 premium choices. (Unless I wanted a TOG but fuck that noise.) First impression, seems promising, the gun definitely hurts and seems surprisingly nimble for its size. Can definitely feel the Bolshevik cardboard boxyness though
Oh, I love that barn. It's an awesome vehicle in the true sense of the word. It's even suitable for brawling in the right circumstances because you've got enough HP to just sit and block a route of approach.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I haven't actually spent any of the free gold I've accumulated I think, though I considered getting some premium consumables before they made them available for credits (glad I didn't).

Also:
Spoiler: L8r m8 (click to show/hide)
I've sometimes doubted the KV-2, but it's matches like that that make me keep the faith. Also got a KV-1 from full health as well. If only it still had HEAT!

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile

I noticed something tonight, World of Tanks seems to be stereotyping black guys as good tank drivers (at least in my garage) as like 70% of my American tank crews have black guys as drivers.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 02:32:28 am by Rilder »
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Couple days late, but here's the patch notes for 9.1: http://ftr.wot-news.com/2014/05/08/9-1-preliminary-patchnotes

Kind of interesting. Huge nerf to the hellcat, moderate nerf to the T29, small nerf to the Tiger, Tiger P, and AT-7. Meanwhile, the MT-25 and VK2801 got some long overdue love whilst they pushed even more buffs onto the JpIV. A couple of the more ridiculous lowtiers (T18) got a nerf.

For more wide-reaching effects, every TD (except premium ones to avoid the "YOU CHANGED MY PREM GIVE ME BACK MY GOLD" whines) now lose about 50% more camo when firing. Right now, their base camo value drops to about 4-5%. Post change, it'll be 2-3%. This is a big deal for tanks that have far more than the base camo - those people who've stacked out, say, their StuG with 100% camouflage crew along with camo paint are going to see a big drop in their camo upon firing. However, if you've got an untrained crew on your TD, the nerf isn't that substantial.

Another is that all light tanks get slightly more favorable MM. Lights T4-7 now get the same MM as a normal tank a tier higher. For example an AMX 12t will now get the same MM as a Tiger. Before they got into battles one tier higher than this, making the 12t's matchmaking slightly worse than a Tiger's.

Other than that you've got the normal performance improvements and bugfixes along with one new city map. IIRC the plan for 8.2 is the same. Its nice to see WG is finally going over some longstanding issues.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

But they're still refusing to touch the 1S, because they'll be splitting it "soon". Seriously, how hard is it to change a few numbers right now in order to bring it in line with other tanks of its tier and then split it later anyways.

Also the SPershing mission has been made laughably easy with the VE day special, x5 on three tanks and I've got  atleast 10k xp :D
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Im trying to understand here, i really am, im using pretty much every possible tactic possible, i try to adapt, but no matter what i do i ALWAYS end up on the loosing side... no matter what i am, do, dont do, whatever, for 10 game i can win 1, 2 if i am very lucky in my badluck... Does the game hate me that much? I got penned when i was using sidescrapping tactics while the other guy was shooting on a 10% slope of my side armor, got engine fire when i was shot straight on in an ambush.

Or im shooting a KV-1 in the side with a 75mm armor piercing and my shot does not pen stuff like that... im cursed....
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Im trying to understand here, i really am, im using pretty much every possible tactic possible, i try to adapt, but no matter what i do i ALWAYS end up on the loosing side... no matter what i am, do, dont do, whatever, for 10 game i can win 1, 2 if i am very lucky in my badluck... Does the game hate me that much? I got penned when i was using sidescrapping tactics while the other guy was shooting on a 10% slope of my side armor, got engine fire when i was shot straight on in an ambush.

Or im shooting a KV-1 in the side with a 75mm armor piercing and my shot does not pen stuff like that... im cursed....

Same here. I spent 3 hours on hetting the wins and surrendered at 2/5 around 2 AM.
It's like the game wanted you to to fail.

I had a game where 2 of my bumbling allies faced off against a lone SPG.
You know a game that's usually considered already won.

They spottted him behind a corner so (they were driving a KV-1s and a hetzer) obviously wanted the kill and the hetzer was first to start aiming his gun... but the KV-1s rammed his side trying to get the kill for himself (and screwing with the hetzers accuracy).
The rammed hetzer misses while the KV-1s began turning his turret... and then the SPG finally decided to fire and wiped them both out.

They literally snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 07:10:27 am by Sonlirain »
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm happy with those patch notes, less invisitank TD absurdity, hellcat nerfed, MT-25 buffed.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Do you happen to use XVM mod? What tanks and tiers do you play?

The key word is consistency... Playing consistently well regardless of your tier, type and tank in the battle and no matter what your team does. Staying constantly active so that you are in a position to do something, immediately potentially doing something or for the very least immediately denying the enemy from doing something. Keeping eyes on the minimap and tanks of each side to see if you need to react.

Very very few battles come down to 1 or 2 shots penning or not penning... Most get more or less decided by the time either side has lost 1/3 of its numbers. Early activity(map control, positioning, spotting, damaging, killing) is very important.

I'm happy with those patch notes, less invisitank TD absurdity, hellcat nerfed, MT-25 buffed.

Yeah those patch notes look good. Though would it have been so difficult to let the tanks be, just nerf or buff the worst offenders, and rather not make maps that are either a) silly peek-a-boom alleys or b) camping sites with killing zones between them? How difficult exactly is it for WG to just make maps with small hills with patches or woods, rocks or bushes here and there... Like the East part of Steppes?

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah those patch notes look good. Though would it have been so difficult to let the tanks be, just nerf or buff the worst offenders, and rather not make maps that are either a) silly peek-a-boom alleys or b) camping sites with killing zones between them? How difficult exactly is it for WG to just make maps with small hills with patches or woods, rocks or bushes here and there... Like the East part of Steppes?
Because not everyone plays murrikans with their turrets made out of a slab or armor and godlike gun depression... small hills are the ideal place for those things.

Also i noticed i'm close to unlocking several tanks but can buy only one (and will have to sell the lower tier from the line to get it) and would love to get some feedback to help me decide what i should get first.

1 - IS-3 (terrible stock but i'll need teh BL-9 from it on the ST-I anyway)
2 - VK 45.01A (The Tiger P will get nerfed anyway so i might jump ship now)
3 - ST-I (Kinda sad since i got a 2 skill crew on KV-4 it and will have to ditch 2 of them on the way to IS-4 also i need to either get 44k free exp or grab it from the IS-3 line before the tank is even usable)
4 - E75 (Well it's 100k exp to go but after grinding out the Ferdinand in the Tiger P line i don't see 100k as much exp anyway and it's rather potent even in stock form altho... the tier 10 after is it supposedly lacking)
Self promotion below.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Because not everyone plays murrikans with their turrets made out of a slab or armor and godlike gun depression... small hills are the ideal place for those things.

Also i noticed i'm close to unlocking several tanks but can buy only one (and will have to sell the lower tier from the line to get it) and would love to get some feedback to help me decide what i should get first.

1 - IS-3 (terrible stock but i'll need teh BL-9 from it on the ST-I anyway)
2 - VK 45.01A (The Tiger P will get nerfed anyway so i might jump ship now)
3 - ST-I (Kinda sad since i got a 2 skill crew on KV-4 it and will have to ditch 2 of them on the way to IS-4 also i need to either get 44k free exp or grab it from the IS-3 line before the tank is even usable)
4 - E75 (Well it's 100k exp to go but after grinding out the Ferdinand in the Tiger P line i don't see 100k as much exp anyway and it's rather potent even in stock form altho... the tier 10 after is it supposedly lacking)

Well most of the maps now pretty much encourage camping and bringing big guns with you. Either theres just 1 or 2 predictable choke points, a city, or large killing fields with no cover. Yeah, maps with actual "tank terrain" would favor US tanks bit... But I believe mobility would be more useful too, and the US thick-skulled tanks like T29 arent exactly fast.

IS-3 is perhaps the most used 7v7 and tier 8 company tank. Good tank. Just beware the flat section of the turret roof(2nd turret), which is basically the entire top of it from mantlet, is only 20 mm thick which means not good things against HE shells, including arty, and that you cant facehug and be impenetrable by tanks that are taller than you... Which is basically everyone you'd ever want to facehug.

VK45 is big and heavy but surprisingly fast. Better than the next one on the line.

ST-1 is best tier 9 heavy together with E-75. Small and rounded, VERY thick turret, with a gun that hurts whatever it shoots, and a lot.

E-75 has incredible armor and is surprisingly fast and very nimble for that armor and gun. Not very good at accelerating or climbing hills though. If it had more HP it'd be a tier X tank, and not a bad one.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

Agreed. And of all the tanks listed the IS-3 is the least shitty when stock, partly because you don't need much to get the top gun which makes it good. All the others are either completely shit when stock (seriously, the 45A starts with the short 88!!) or need a huge amount of XP to get elited like the E-75.

So I'd say go for the IS-3.
AS - IG

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Agreed. And of all the tanks listed the IS-3 is the least shitty when stock, partly because you don't need much to get the top gun which makes it good. All the others are either completely shit when stock (seriously, the 45A starts with the short 88!!) or need a huge amount of XP to get elited like the E-75.

So I'd say go for the IS-3.

Well its not exacly true the VK might start with the short 88 but its immediately upgradeable to the long 88 (unless of couse you decided to grind your way through the Tiger P without getting the long 88 and anyone doing that are likely clinically insane).

Anyway true i think i'll go for the IS-3. i'll grind the exp for the E75 another day and i need the BL-9 for the ST-I anyway.
Self promotion below.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

True enough, I thought it required the tracks but it seems only the 105 needs them.

Also, for some unkown reason since about 7PM today my ping has been a stupidly high 200, whereas previously it usually rested about 60ms. I have no idea what is causing this but it is extremely annoying and is messing with my futile attempts to collect the daily bonus because holy shit the weekend is here and every idiot with four fingers is playing.
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 251