Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 251

Author Topic: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!  (Read 210865 times)

Ant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

OOh yea. The kind of pen/bounce analysis like in Iron Warriors (or T-72: Balkans on fire, if you will) would be lovely and helpful addition to this game.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

But it would also be a resource hog, especially on the server side since they'd need to save all that data for all 30 tanks for every match.

Also, anyone else doing the Super Pershing missions? Well, it's the T34 for you US folks but it's mostly the same thing. So far it's been rather easy and stress free, since it takes about two daily doubles per nation to get the 2.5k XP that I need to do every day to get the 75k at the end of the month. Hell, the Germans have been doing exceptionally well yesterday with my first Panther match netting me 4.5k XP

The only problem I see right now is my lack of lower tier 'murricans that makes me play the T69 a lot more then usually, which isn't that bad in and of itself but I fear I might burn out on the tank by the end of the month. Should probably buy the M4 again, for the easy farming.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I kind of want to, but the T34 isn't very good, the Japanese grind is going to suck, and I don't have the time or will to do this... I wish we had the SP mission honestly, its a bit more fun and a smaller grind.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Uhh i thought the ptogress resets every day so you have to get 75k in one nation in one day.
Anyway i don't think Super Pershing is even worth it anyway... a medium with HE proof armor armed with a gun that will likely have problems penetrating tier 8 tanks and unlike other tanks armed with a gun with around 175 penetration (ELC 13 90 or the chinse Tier 7/8 light) it has none of the mobilty to flank.

I mean really... what's this tank is supposed to be good at other than getting hit by HE anyway?
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

T34 is anything but bad, trust me, it's my most played tank and one hell of a moneymaker. Heck, if we had it I might even go for the mission anyways, since that 12k gold is very very tasty.

And honestly, I don't see the SP as that bad, sure, not something I'd buy myself but as something that's mostly free since I'd be playing these tanks anyway it's not too bad. And it's mostly a tank for hulldown and bullying lower tiers who other than flanking it can do fuck all to it unless they're lucky enough to hit the turret weakspots.

Also the Japs have pretty damn good T5-6 tanks with amazing guns, okay mobility and shitty armour, if you've played the VK3002M and liked it, chances are these tanks are good for you.
AS - IG

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

T34 is anything but bad, trust me, it's my most played tank and one hell of a moneymaker. Heck, if we had it I might even go for the mission anyways, since that 12k gold is very very tasty.

And honestly, I don't see the SP as that bad, sure, not something I'd buy myself but as something that's mostly free since I'd be playing these tanks anyway it's not too bad. And it's mostly a tank for hulldown and bullying lower tiers who other than flanking it can do fuck all to it unless they're lucky enough to hit the turret weakspots.

Also the Japs have pretty damn good T5-6 tanks with amazing guns, okay mobility and shitty armour, if you've played the VK3002M and liked it, chances are these tanks are good for you.

I'm probably nearing 1k games in my T34, but good is never a word I'd use to describe it. The tradeoff for that pen is just way too much - the thing is incredibly slow, has some of the worst gun handling in the game, has atrocious DPM, is big, blind, and while the turret+depression is good, its not going to carry that bad of a tank.

The SP isn't good either, but it combines a reasonably tough hull (~240mm on the lower half of the UFP, 150-175 on the upper half) with a medium's stature and camo. Combined with the American mantlet and gun depression, it' pretty tough even with the numerous weakspots. I'd probably feel more comfortable taking hits in a SP than in some of the softer T8 heavies.

About the gun... yeah, it's kind of disappointing/downright bad. But the moment you press the APCR button, it turns into one of the best guns on any T8 prem. So you can play normally against your peers, but the moment you come across a situation that you just cant deal with using AP, you use APCR and suddenly are penning E-75s. Other low pen prems (IS-6, KV-5, etc) just have to deal with bouncing half the time even with APCR.

The Japs are pretty mediocre in my experience, but I'd be doing the T7. That one seems pretty gross, even in comparison to how iffy the lower tier ones were.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 01:29:21 pm by Rex_Nex »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Eeeh. The T5 Japs are pretty damned good snipers; they've got great guns, good mobility, small profiles when viewed from the front, and the only real weakness is their armor. They're certainly not brawlers, though.

I'm not even motivated to try this challenge either way; I lost ~60fps from the update (but the tanks look like plastic toys now, totally worth it, right?) and for some reason I haven't been able to get a stable connection to WoT servers since (constant lagspikes, ping fluctuating from 250-750... and no problems with any other game I play online). :|

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile

Well, I've been moving on up the tank tree and have reached the first of the tanks I was aiming for, the PzKpfw IV H. Apparently this and the PzKpfw IV D were added recently, being that there's no page on them in the wiki. I've been practicing the Side Scraping tactic since with the side panels it seems like that would be very useful in a tight spot.

Anyway, from what I've been reading the German tanks tend to be good at long range sniping, lacking the sloped armour for closer combat and their cannons being quite accurate. Using the "7,5 cm Kw.K. 40 L/48" feels like "Do you want a hole in the tank or the commanders mug".

My question is rather; What are peoples experiences with the lose of penetration over distance? Does it make that much of a difference how far away a shot is made and how much it'll penetrate? Since the Panzer IV's armour isn't sloped or terribly thick it seems like I need to sit farther back to lessen the strength of enemy shots.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Personally i barely ever notice it. The ranges the tanks in this game are firghing are usually pretty darn short and at longer ranges the ample german penetration usually wins out... altho i wouldn't shoot heavy tanks in the frontal armor at those ranges... mediums are usually fair game tho.
Self promotion below.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Penetration loss through the pen loss formula is fairly irrelevant, especially for AP. You'll lose more pen due to the shell sloping downwards at range than anything else.

The Panzer IV has fairly thin armor (half of the front is only 27mm against tanks with 75mm+ caliber guns), and it's a medium through and through. The "German tanks are snipers" idea only holds weight with a select number of German vehicles (such as the Panther, StuG, Leopard 1, etc), the rest are better classified as all-rounders.

German traits are more reliability than anything else, having enough accuracy and penetration to avoid the wrath of RNG and enough all-around armor to (usually) avoid being wiped away by arty in a single shot. Their view ranges are usually high, their tracks very thick (especially on the heavies), and typically have simple armor schemes compared to the other nations. Because of their reliance on nominal thickness instead of slope, they also can withstand quite a lot of high explosive ordinance (which ignores slope).

On the other hand, their interior modules don't have much HP and many have frontal transmissions that can be set alight by a shot to the lower front plate. They are badly camouflaged, don't have much protection against APCR/HEAT ammunition, are usually sluggish, and some vehicles lack anywhere near enough firepower to compete.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 01:38:11 am by Rex_Nex »

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Seeing as we have knowledgeable people, can someone tell me what caused the following to happen:

Situation: Driving my ELC, full upgrades, crew nearing 400% training (no BIA yet, but camo and stuff). Also vent+camonet+binos. (Not that this is relevant)
I shot an M7 medium (the thing that is more like a light tank). Easy pen. Retreated to reload. Went back. Shot perpendicular (or very, very near it, so max pen) at its side's rear area (not the rear, the side), from roughly 20-30m. Crew shouts "RICOCHET" (in French). I'm stuck trying to evade a fast med's firing, which I eventually die to, even though I should have killed it then and there.
It IS possible that I shot near the tracks. Still, the ELC's 90mm should have no problem whatsoever penning an M7 with a shot to the side. And a trackshot would not be a ricochet.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Seeing as we have knowledgeable people, can someone tell me what caused the following to happen:

Situation: Driving my ELC, full upgrades, crew nearing 400% training (no BIA yet, but camo and stuff). Also vent+camonet+binos. (Not that this is relevant)
I shot an M7 medium (the thing that is more like a light tank). Easy pen. Retreated to reload. Went back. Shot perpendicular (or very, very near it, so max pen) at its side's rear area (not the rear, the side), from roughly 20-30m. Crew shouts "RICOCHET" (in French). I'm stuck trying to evade a fast med's firing, which I eventually die to, even though I should have killed it then and there.
It IS possible that I shot near the tracks. Still, the ELC's 90mm should have no problem whatsoever penning an M7 with a shot to the side. And a trackshot would not be a ricochet.

If they said it's a ricotchet then it was a ricotchet.
The shot might have hit anything inside your CoF so you can assume it could go WAY off center (altho that's not that common because teh shells like to focus in the middle).

Another problem might be the lag between the clint and server targeting circle.
In short you might have seen a perfect shot to the side while in reality your gun was pointed elsewhere.
Self promotion below.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

As per above, the shot could have landed anywhere in the CoF. It's weighted to fall closer to the center these days, but an extreme divergence is still possible (especially if you didn't give the gun time to stabilize), so it could have hit something at a strange angle quite easily. That said, if you're trying to kill things in an ELC, either take the time to go TD-mode and aim it down without being spotted, or drive up and stick your cannon right up against it. Firing an ELC on the move or shortly after stopping is a good way to miss.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

If you hit the very end of his side, IE the driving wheel of his tracks there's a good chance they ate the shot. Or if the shot went low and hit only his tracks without touching the hull, same thing happens, except this time you won't even track him.

In both cases it's registered as a ricochet even though the shill did do damage, but it did no damage to the tank HP so it's called a ricochet for whatever stupid reason.

Best example of this is if you manage to hit somebodies gun, it'll say that you bounced off even though you did damage his gun.
AS - IG

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile

Welp did something stupid with March/Aprils freeby gold and splurged on a SU-100Y, took awhile to really decide on it but eh, seemed like the most intriguing of the tier 6 premium choices. (Unless I wanted a TOG but fuck that noise.) First impression, seems promising, the gun definitely hurts and seems surprisingly nimble for its size. Can definitely feel the Bolshevik cardboard boxyness though
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 251