Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 251

Author Topic: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!  (Read 210958 times)

Chosrau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!
« Reply #3030 on: February 13, 2014, 06:54:28 pm »

I had 5 confrontation battles so far and was part of team hulldown in all of them (currently grinding through T29). 4 of them were against russians and one of them against germans and I won all of them. You can't beat a team of 12+ T29/T32/T34 unless it's a city map where they can't go hull down on all flanks. Hell, the game against the germans was even the clostest one because they atleast had the accuracy to go for cupola snipes.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
Re: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!
« Reply #3031 on: February 13, 2014, 07:05:04 pm »

Lower tier ones can be worse because you can get a LOT of sealclubbing tanks in one match. I don't know if they can go down to tier 2 but just imagine a team mostly consisting of T-18s.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3032 on: February 13, 2014, 10:53:26 pm »

Lower tier ones can be worse because you can get a LOT of sealclubbing tanks in one match. I don't know if they can go down to tier 2 but just imagine a team mostly consisting of T-18s.
Even if the entire enemy team was TDs, they wouldn't win. Or would at least have a hard time of it. A terrifying thought.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3033 on: February 15, 2014, 12:32:10 am »

I've yet to have a confrontation mode match myself, I can see why they'd be unbalanced though, hopefully the figure something out regarding it.

Also
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3034 on: February 15, 2014, 01:38:26 am »

Dat ass.

Ant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3035 on: February 15, 2014, 02:44:39 am »

Haven't got myself much trouble with confro this far, some 5-7 games behind with the mode. First one I remember well- facing russians. Our team- 3 vk36s, 2 porche vks, 2 02s including me, 3 pz4s, 1 nasu, 1 dicker and couple of lights. Their lineup, 5 kv1s', 5 kv1s + odd medium and su85. We won, mainly through superior tactics (sticking to range and massed fire), although it really was close call. I've yet to see this certain country winning/losing, and actually I like the fact that having only one country's tanks forces everyone to make co-op to make most of the strengths of the vehicles. I don't know; it feels more immersive? Like when you don't have to go alone in a cromie even without platoon, someone sticks more easily with you in confro. Well, maybe the bad sides raise their head sooner or later.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3036 on: February 15, 2014, 06:58:42 pm »

I got my Tiger 2 some time ago and as such i get to face tier 10 tanks... and i'm baffled at times.

I understand that the stock 88 long cannon i currently have should (and is) inadequate against tier 10 tanks but i thing it should work in at least SOME situations.

So i ended up shooting an IS-7
My gun is obviously worthless up front BUT i climbed a hill while he was looking away.

So now i'm on a hill and a bit away from him effectively unangling his frontal plate.
Did i penetrate?
Of course not.
3 shots and not even one got through.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3037 on: February 15, 2014, 07:25:09 pm »

in these situations, gold ammo often is the most cost effective.
dont try gold ammo on a maus or e-100 though, you still will ding every time with a tier8 heavy.
edit:
well, not shooting proably would be the most cost effective action.
still, youll get a few xp and maby youll win the match if you take some gold shots in that situaion. so it can worth the costs.
curse that damn gold ammo and 2lvl tier mixing. id play this game way more without this shit.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 07:27:51 pm by motorbitch »

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3038 on: February 15, 2014, 07:52:54 pm »

The gold ammo on the long 88 is pretty much useless since it barely inproves penetration.
I kinda wonder if i should upgrade the gun to the short 105. It has worse accuracy more or less the same penetration but higher damage and shell costs.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3039 on: February 15, 2014, 09:44:14 pm »

No you should not, the long 88 is more than adequate in dealing with most things you face (obvious exceptions are certain T10 tanks, but in those cases, try and track them or just go find something else to hurt). The short 105 will murder your credits and won't bring much of an improvement, in fact, it might even be detrimental because of the worse accuracy and RoF.

The long 105 though is worth every bit of XP you put into it, one of the best guns in the game, hands down, a simply incredible mix of RoF, accuracy (best of its tier, as far as heavies go iirc), penetration and a decent damage potential.

Also, have you folks tried the Japs yet? I'm up to T5 and the Chi-Nu is so damn amazing it's not even funny, after 50-ish games I'm sitting at well over 60% WR with it. It's just so damn suited to my style of play that it works amazings, I even pulled a 9 kill game the other day. You just skirt the battle with your pretty good mobility and simply murder anything you come across because that gun is awesome. If the Chi-To is anything like this I'm gonna love it even more :D
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Ant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3040 on: February 16, 2014, 04:58:58 am »

I too have a crush on jap tanks, even though I'm still grinding towards T5. The guns are a beauty (even though lacking in pen and dam), speed is acceptable. Run and Gun works almost as well as with brits.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3041 on: February 16, 2014, 05:17:43 am »

The Jap tanks are good, I went down both the lights and medium paths to tier 5. (Platooning with GF needed another tier 4 to drive with her while working on her T-80) the Chi-ha was an awesome tier 3 to derp around in and the Ke-Ho is outright the most enjoyable tier 4 I've ever driven. (And a perfect example of how enjoyable a tier 4 light can be if it doesn't have scout Matchmaker, I'm looking at you m5 and 38na)

Chi-nu I haven't driven much since I don't want to get to far ahead of the gf on her Jap tanks, but I've taken it out a couple times and so far hasn't been the most enjoyable tank but that's mainly due to being stock I think.

Also apparently the StuG might get a split soon along with the Panzer IV, supposedly a tier 4 version with the 105. Also speaking of the Panzer IV split, the tier 5 panzer IV will be getting its side skirts, will be nice when fighting those Derp Shermans I bet.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 05:19:34 am by Rilder »
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3042 on: February 16, 2014, 12:15:43 pm »

You're almost certainly disliking the Chi-Nu because it's stock. I've got a Chi-Nu-Kai, and the thing is absolutely glorious. The rest of the tank is incredibly average (at least in terms of my perception), but the gun!

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3043 on: February 16, 2014, 01:14:07 pm »

Yup, it's pretty bad without the top gun. And the whole idea of it, an average-to shitty platform with a god-tier gun just works so damn good if you know what you're doing.

Also, in other news, will be getting my fifth T10 tank by the end of the week most probably. The JagE100 is on sale now which makes it much more affordable, also my first T10 TD, should be interesting since the tank as a whole doesn't really seem appealing (too much min-maxing to my taste) but I've seen some amazing plays and things it can do and feel compelled to atleast try, and if it doesn't work out, heck, even if I sell it I'll only be losing a million.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3044 on: February 17, 2014, 09:04:32 pm »

Oh god that freaking match. That freaking match.

That is the first game where I have ever wanted to kill a team mate.

The entire match on arctic I'm the only real heavy we have, as a VK30.01. On the east corner I had a D.W.2 trying to push into me from behind, jostling my aim while I'm trying to hit an AT 2's cupola, so that my crosshairs are constantly twitching all over the place. I should have just killed them after the third or fourth time, but no, I had to be nice and just put one shot into their side to tell them to fuck off. Then return to trying to shoot. Then I find out to my surprise, that I can't reverse out of the enemy's line of fire because that faucking same goddamn D.W.2 is trying to ram his head up my ass. So I'm desperately trying to push them back enough that I don't get obliterated, and take several hits in the process.

And then, after I deal with the AT2 that everybody else had been putting shots into the front and had done 0 damage to, I start shooting at a KV1 and T82 advancing up. And just as I'm about to pop the weak little T82, the D.W.2 drives right in front of my gun and takes the shot for them.

At this point its pretty much lost. But if it hadn't been for that stock D.W.2 that did 0 damage the whole match, I probably could have won that corner against half the enemy team. Hell, they didn't even distract the enemy, 90% of the damage done to them was by me.

From now on, anyone stupid enough to jostle me when I'm fighting or get in front of my gun, I'm just shooting them until they're dead and out of my way.
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 251