Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 251

Author Topic: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!  (Read 210976 times)

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!
« Reply #3015 on: January 31, 2014, 10:34:25 am »

there where parts of a maus prototype. even in this stage it was so obvious that it was a megalomaniac bullshit idea that they stopped working on it.

so yes. i was joking.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!
« Reply #3016 on: January 31, 2014, 05:12:27 pm »

I wasn't quite sure.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3017 on: January 31, 2014, 06:26:04 pm »

apparently there realy was a complete prototype with turret and all, and one hull without a turret.
it moved only 13kph under perfectconditions and was distroyed withoutdoing any damage.
so it must be a different mouse we have in game anyhow XD

still... not as phantasy as some other tanks in game it would seem.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 06:30:55 pm by motorbitch »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3018 on: January 31, 2014, 06:49:41 pm »

Well the Maus exists to this day, I think you can see it's prototype in Kubinka (or some other Russian war museum), it even has the turret on, I believe they found one hull and what they thought was its turret and they paired the two together and brought them home like that.

I think the biggest difference between the ingame and real life one is that the ingame one has a much more powerful engine than the real one ever had or could have had.

Also, afaik, the Poles will definitely be a part of the EU tree, most probably up to T4 or so since they got steamrolled quite early on, and anything postwar they had was USSR surplus which is mostly in the game, and we really don't need any more T-54 clones.

Also also, the E-100 varieties are mostly historical, in the sense that there were proposals or ideations on most of them (except the waffletrager, that broke piece of shit) in one way or another. In cases where there were no drawings of any kind the WG folks went with what was plausible/realistic and could've been designed by the Germans themselves if they had more time/resources.
So far, the biggest offenders as far as historicity goes are the Brits which have pretty much two or three of their top tier tanks completely unhistorical in both armament and armour. Americans are better and most of their faults are WG being a bit too liberal with interpreting certain proposals and stretching things so they can fill out an entire tech tree.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3019 on: January 31, 2014, 07:03:28 pm »

Don't forget that part of what is done is to preserve game balance.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3020 on: January 31, 2014, 07:04:36 pm »

I still have to wonder, though, why no Sherman Firefly? That'd be an interesting addition to the Brit tree, maybe as an alternative to the Cromwell.

Don't forget that part of what is done is to preserve game balance.
That's precisely the point I was making. I'm fine with ahistoricality for the sake of balance, but it's really stupid for WG to pretend that they're making balance changes for the sake of historical accuracy.

3. Run Resize Enable

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3021 on: January 31, 2014, 08:27:47 pm »

I still have to wonder, though, why no Sherman Firefly? That'd be an interesting addition to the Brit tree, maybe as an alternative to the Cromwell.

Well a wargaming Model exists, along with a M3 Grant model, so its -there- just not implemented.  Likely haven't decided quite how they want to fit it in. I assume in some sort of lend lease line I've heard mentions about. (Maybe connected with a second line of high tier mediums maybe?)

http://world-of-tanks-leaks.wikia.com/wiki/British_LL_Line 

They will probably get around to eventually, I mean it took quite awhile from the first time I heard mentions of the second German TD line before they actually got around to it. There is also a US M4 variants leaked (One with angled hull and one with 90mm I think?) I believe so maybe they are just gearing up for some massive Sherman spam update one day.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 08:39:11 pm by Rilder »
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3022 on: January 31, 2014, 08:41:03 pm »

Were there Canadian tanks in world war two, or did they just use leased tanks or something? I'd look it up myself but figured I'd let some history buffs flex their muscles. :P

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3023 on: January 31, 2014, 08:49:51 pm »

Were there Canadian tanks in world war two, or did they just use leased tanks or something? I'd look it up myself but figured I'd let some history buffs flex their muscles. :P
To my knowledge they basically used lend-lease tanks. Except maybe the ones in that one HOI3 AAR that staged a landing in northern France and cut straight to Berlin.

3. Run Resize Enable

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3024 on: January 31, 2014, 08:57:16 pm »

from what I remember, the Canadians mostly built US or British designs. I think there was at least one example of a Canadian designed tank, but it ended up only being used for training purposes.

Edit: it was the Ram tank, an example of which is already in the game as an American Premium tank
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 09:01:53 pm by sluissa »

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3025 on: January 31, 2014, 08:59:34 pm »

Well one is already in game as a premium tank on the US tree. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ram_tank

Of course there is the Grizzly tank which was basically a slightly modified M4A1 Sherman.

They also produced Valentines though afaik didn't actually use them except for training. (Probably lend lease to the USSR or something)

Also artillery wise the Sexton is ingame both on the actual British arty tree and as a low tier premium arty on the British tree.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 09:03:52 pm by Rilder »
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3026 on: February 13, 2014, 01:07:09 pm »

patch 8.11 released.

Major stuff is a couple new maps, nerfs to TDs, and brings a slight change to matchmaking. Tier 12 games have been taken out.

see the patch notes here

Oh, and a new game mode, confrontation, where teams are all one nation.

oh god. So many M4's. SO MANY M4's! WHY? WHY GOD?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 02:47:37 pm by Kaitol »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3027 on: February 13, 2014, 03:20:19 pm »

Yeah, I turned that off after the first battle, was germans vs 'murricans. We had pretty much all T6 VK variants while they had some 13 or so Hellcats.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3028 on: February 13, 2014, 04:43:37 pm »

Here's hoping there's a hotfix balancing patch. How did that get past the test server...

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3029 on: February 13, 2014, 05:30:45 pm »

I was platooning with 2 friends and our T6 platoon got thrown into a T7 game. We were the only tier 6 tanks.

Also i didn't have any problems with the confronatation mode as long as i'm playing russians. Confrontation in their case pretty much ensures a win.

I usually turn it off when i want to grind a german tank for some time.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 251