Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 251

Author Topic: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!  (Read 210995 times)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!
« Reply #2970 on: January 24, 2014, 12:40:23 pm »

Oddly enough, in WoT, driving into a concrete wall in pretty harmless.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!
« Reply #2971 on: January 24, 2014, 01:34:54 pm »

It wasn't like that initially. But they found people liked to brake by driving into walls. So not many tanks made it to battle intact.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2972 on: January 24, 2014, 02:25:25 pm »

Just had pretty awesome match in my Pershing, (after a series of shitty ones ugh) Sand River Assault, were on defense, Indien Panzer and another Pershing were playing aggressive on the west side, I decided to tag along and the enemy team didn't put much firepower on that side allowing us to basically storm their entire line, our little makeshift platoon ended up being the top 3 damage dealers. (My Pershing having the most, Indien Panzer second and other pershing 3rd)

Edit:

« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 04:24:43 pm by Rilder »
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2973 on: January 24, 2014, 06:11:28 pm »

should i buy a kv-4?
im about 10k xp away from an is-8, but wouldnt have the credits to buy both.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2974 on: January 24, 2014, 07:25:35 pm »

should i buy a kv-4?
im about 10k xp away from an is-8, but wouldnt have the credits to buy both.

I have a KV-4 and i think it's a fun tank.
It has a fair share of problems like the barely angled hull/turret armor (mostly solved by sidescraping tho) and a totally absymal at that tier gun you have to use to grind out the suspension and proper gun with some actual penetration on it.
Also the turret is a giant nearly flat slab you have to angle or swivel when reloading.

It's more or less the thing you'd get after crossing a KV-1 with a Tiger and Maus.

The top gun is somewhat accurate (for russian standards) if a bit low on the damage side.
The side armor is god tier (150) complete with enormous shell eating tracks.
The second turret has a fake weakspot that attracts fire (the minituret has the SAME armor values as the actual turret so it it's 180 mm thick meaning it can bounce most tier 7 tanks even without angling and bounce the rest if you angle it a bit.

tl:dr

I like my KV-4 but your mileage may vary.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2975 on: January 24, 2014, 07:41:34 pm »

yeah, you pretty much summed up what i imagine it will be.
im pretty sure ill get one on the long run.

right now its is-8 or kv-4 tho.

but i play without premium most of the time. so, that 3.5 mil (incl. crew and basic modules) is quite a lot for me.
also, its painfull enough to grind the upgrades for one tank.
witchever i buy, i wont buy the other for a quite some time.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2976 on: January 24, 2014, 08:10:02 pm »

Well i only have the KV-4 (and currently grinding the IS on the other line) so i can't really say that one is better than the other.
But i'll still say that KV-4 is somewhat good at any tier it gets dumped in.

It can basically go to town at tier 7 tanks and sidescrape like a pro thanks to its boxy design.
The large flat boxy turret also lets youcover the "weak" front behind a building while exposing the 180 mm thick side at a ridiculous angle to the enemy who will likely shoot it because it's a freaking turrets side.
And did i mention the silly miniturret "weakspot"?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Self promotion below.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2977 on: January 24, 2014, 10:09:45 pm »

Personally I'd go for the IS-8, both because you'll be able to stick your BL-9 on it right away, and because it's around 1.1m more than the KV-4. If you blow it all on the IS-8, you've got still got nearly 2.5m to grind up, but if you go the other way, you might end up spending a lot of that remainder on other things, which would make it even more painful to build up the cash again. That, and the IS-7 grind is going to take a lot longer than the alternative, so you might as well start it sooner.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2978 on: January 24, 2014, 10:16:44 pm »

I was generally okay with the KV-4 grind, and I never even got the top gun or the upgraded turret. I went the entire way through with the 122mm D25T. Sure, I couldn't pen anything above tier 8, and the damage output was horrible, but I played a decent scout and distraction. And I kept a good supply of HE rounds so I was able to annoy the crap out of people by tracking them and doing other critical damage. I'm sure I even killed at least one tank by taking out the entire crew before their HP was depleted. I still remember my first game in the thing as a glorious experience. I basically charged into a group of 5 enemy tanks, was tracked and sat there for over a minute while I got shot at and still managed to back out of there doing some damage to the enemies and had half my HP left. Sure it was a stupid move, but it was the perfect example to show how awesome the KV-4's armor is. I do want to go back to it some day and finally get the top gun and have some fun with it. It was definitely more satisfying than the ST-I has been so far, but I'm far from having it kitted out either.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2979 on: January 25, 2014, 12:18:20 pm »

tier 8+ players might be relieved to hear that in the coming patch the tier 10 tank destroyers will be receiving varying degrees of balancing nerfs.

The Waffentrager's gun is less accurate, sort off. The turret movement dispersion has been buffed. So it can't switch targets as quickly. The treads also traverses a few degrees slower.

The Obj.268 has gotten its 850 damage gun nerfed to 750. But also received a buff, it reloads half a second faster. Its slower in reverse by 3 kph. Gun dispersion while  turning and moving has been slightly increased. The penetration of the HEAT ammo has been slightly nerfed by 55mm bring it to 395.

The AMX50 also had its 850 damage gun nerfed to 750. (I think all the 850 damage guns might have been reduced?) it also lost 200 horsepower on its engine. The armor was slightly nerfed as well, a few reductions of 10-20 points in a couple of places. its heat ammo also lost a tiny amount of penetration, bringing it to 395 as well.

The T110E3, also nerfed to 750 damage. However the gun reloads a whole 1.3 seconds faster. That's all for T110E3.

T110E4 is pretty much identical changes.

The Jagd E-100 and FV215b are unchanged. (much to the curses of everyone not driving one)

Or are they?

There has been a mechanics change. And it will likely make all TD drivers scream in rage and everybody else grin with glee.

Tank destroyers no longer have a camo bonus when firing their gun, at all. (oh god what have they done to my poor New German TD's... )

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2980 on: January 25, 2014, 03:05:41 pm »

The poor Foch 155 is probably the worst T10 TD now. That's pretty bad, but even worse is that the rest of that line got nerfed too. At least the Foch 155 was powerful, the poor AMX AC 48 and T9 Foch weren't even threatening beforehand.

That does also make the french td line compete with the maus line for worst in-game tank line. Poor guys.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2981 on: January 25, 2014, 03:34:10 pm »

The good thing is that the Jg E 100 wasn't specifically changed, just generally. Everything else was bad news.

Why are they nerfing TDs, anyway? As long as you played to avoid them, you'd be safe from them; this is the same as basically any other TD.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2982 on: January 25, 2014, 04:01:01 pm »

Do remember that none of this is final yet, it's called the test server for a reason. But I don't really see anything to get upset about.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2983 on: January 25, 2014, 04:26:43 pm »

Why are they nerfing TDs, anyway? As long as you played to avoid them, you'd be safe from them; this is the same as basically any other TD.

rofl :)
as long as you did not fight them, they are harmless!

put helicopters into the game nau.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2984 on: January 25, 2014, 04:26:55 pm »

Well hopefully there won't be any more games where everyone camps  because otherwise the TDs will murder them untill there is nothing but dust (especially the ones that rip half of your tank off the second they spot you).

And speaking of "ripping".
I was playing SPG extensively lately and noticed that the shells seem to home in on any friendlies in the targeted area.
During my SPG career i risked shooting an enemy with one of my allies nearby exacly 3 times.
And all 3 of them ended up with my ally getting a direct hit.
Better yet in 2 of those cases his engine got wrecked and got set on fire.

This gives my SPG a 100% hit ratio on friendly targets.

Of course if i aim the gun at a open top TD the shell will sail off far away to ensure the TD is left undamaged.
Self promotion below.
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 251