Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 251

Author Topic: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!  (Read 211052 times)

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!
« Reply #2895 on: December 31, 2013, 07:51:06 am »

Except you get incredible aimtime + accuracy + shell speed + dpm and heavy HP so having "only" a lot of armor instead of a metric ton is less of an issue. The AT-8 kinda sucks, but the AT-7 and Tort are so much better than the AT-2. The only perk of the AT-2 is that it's foolproof; you could play the game with one finger and make that tank work, lol.

They aren't better at least not if you take the enemies you encounter in them.
I played some tanks (Germans up to tiger and russians up to KV-4 and IS) and tier for tier the only thing that gave me as much fun was probably the KV-2 with its troll gun that either oneshots people or makes armor nearly irrelevant because you will get slapped by 300+ damage no matter what).

The armor becomes less and less relevant as tiers go up and AT-2 has the luck of being a hard to penetrate stump no matter where MM throws it since even a tier 7 HT (not sure about tier 7 TDs) won't penetrate the frontal armor without aiming at weakspots or shooting gold... and even then you might bounce that too if you angle a bit.

And you just can't say the same thing about AT-7 or AT-8 (oneshot it with a KV-2 once thanks to the frontal gaping hole in its armor) since they have more or less the same armor and get thrown against MUCH higher tiers that could care less about 200 mm of UNSLOPED armor.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!
« Reply #2896 on: December 31, 2013, 08:24:58 am »

The armor becomes less and less relevant as tiers go up and AT-2 has the luck of being a hard to penetrate stump no matter where MM throws it since even a tier 7 HT (not sure about tier 7 TDs) won't penetrate the frontal armor without aiming at weakspots or shooting gold... and even then you might bounce that too if you angle a bit.
The ARL (tier VI) can pen it, but it's an exception.
I've never played the AT-2 myself, but I rarely have difficulties against it. It's just the pinnacle of a TD being flanked. Then, I'm playing mostly medium tanks.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2897 on: December 31, 2013, 08:41:14 am »

I rarely have problems with killing AT tanks because of the giant weakspot on top. Of course, I mostly play accurate German TDs.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2898 on: December 31, 2013, 09:25:51 am »

The ARL (tier VI) can pen it, but it's an exception.
I've never played the AT-2 myself, but I rarely have difficulties against it. It's just the pinnacle of a TD being flanked. Then, I'm playing mostly medium tanks.
Well that depends on the map and tier you fight at. At tier 5 the 101 mm of side armor gives major problems when angles even a little bit. Even tier 6 mediums will have problems with the side if you angle it enough and the spaced side armor + tracks add around 40 extra armor to the already well armored side AND make it prety much HE immmune if hit there.
The only weak spots are the crows nest (that's round and unusually well armored (101 mm) so it has to be hit spot on with most guns and the rear that is 50 mm thick.
I rarely have problems with killing AT tanks because of the giant weakspot on top. Of course, I mostly play accurate German TDs.
This might be the case since german TDs get accurate high penetration guns so they can plink the top hat from far away. Most tanks however don't enjoy the accuracy or skill to hit it from ranges other than point blank.
Self promotion below.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2899 on: December 31, 2013, 09:44:17 am »

You also forget the gun mantlet, which is rather thin (I think it's under 100mms even) and large, so if you have trouble hitting or penning the commanders hatch go for the mantlet, some of the shots will get eaten by the gun but most should go trough quite easily.

Edit:
Also info on stuff planned for next year, looks mighty awesome :D
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 11:21:31 am by Jopax »
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2900 on: December 31, 2013, 04:17:56 pm »

The only people that can't kill an AT-2 are fools and poor souls that can't pen the cupola. You don't need to snipe the bloody thing when you can flank it. Hell, I've gotten an AT-2 killed in my Pz. 1 C by blocking it against rubble so it couldn't turn. Anyone with the least bit of sense isn't going to sit and fire at that frontal armor, which is why later Brit TDs are better: they can do more than sit and absorb all the shots. The AT-2 has a choice between a shitty 110-75 popgun or a Brit howitzer...

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2901 on: December 31, 2013, 05:58:46 pm »

The high tier playerbase man...

So I got the most kills on either team and the most damage on either team and was a loss.

"Hey IS-8 maybe you should help your team next time"
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Habbadax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cackling Cavalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #2902 on: December 31, 2013, 06:32:41 pm »

The only people that can't kill an AT-2 are fools and poor souls that can't pen the cupola. You don't need to snipe the bloody thing when you can flank it. Hell, I've gotten an AT-2 killed in my Pz. 1 C by blocking it against rubble so it couldn't turn. Anyone with the least bit of sense isn't going to sit and fire at that frontal armor, which is why later Brit TDs are better: they can do more than sit and absorb all the shots. The AT-2 has a choice between a shitty 110-75 popgun or a Brit howitzer...

Why do people hate that popgun?

It's almost functionally identical to the T-34's 57mm, ten damage and two penetration less, sure, but a terrifyingly higher rate of fire

Is it the gun arc? Sluggishness? Poor ammo capacity? What?

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2903 on: December 31, 2013, 06:38:05 pm »

It's almost functionally identical to the T-34's 57mm, ten damage and two penetration less, sure, but a terrifyingly higher rate of fire

Probably because, unlike the T-34, the AT-2 has to shoot at whatever the enemy lets him shoot, you don't have the mobility to really utilize it as well as the the T-34 can.

Also took out my little Ke-Ni for a little low tier Japanese derping around and got into a fight with a B1, he was trying to advance and I would pop out from cover, sling a few shots at him to get his attention then dart back into cover, managed, with a bit of friendly support fire to take him out, cue him calling me a pussy cause I wouldn't sit there in the open and trade shots with a B1 in my little tier 3 japanese light tank. gg.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 06:51:19 pm by Rilder »
Steam Profile
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2904 on: December 31, 2013, 06:50:48 pm »

AT-2's armor isn't actually as good as advertised, a good chunk of the frontal hull is only 130mm. That popgun is fine and all, but a DPM-based weapon on a chassis that's vulnerable to being flanked if the fight takes too long is not the greatest combination. Same with a DPM based weapon on a tank that can't actually force people to sit in front of the gun. It's the same problem tanks like the T28 have.

I liked the AT-2 and did fairly well in it (albeit this was release month; it wasn't as well known where to shoot them), but there was a lot of letdowns. It's completely blind, it doesn't have any HP to back up the armor, the gun was inadequate, it's incredibly slow, and can do absolutely fuck all to good players who aren't afraid to completely void your armor advantage with good aim and APCR.

edit: removed faulty info
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 06:54:15 pm by Rex_Nex »

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2905 on: December 31, 2013, 06:59:48 pm »

Probably because, unlike the T-34, the AT-2 has to shoot at whatever the enemy lets him shoot, you don't have the mobility to really utilize it as well as the the T-34 can.

That's why you have teammates.
Heck as a AT-2 you basically serve as a battering ram in a T5 match and a tough nut to crack in a T6 match. Despite what people say about the top hat it's a pretty resiliant weakspot that requires spot on accuracy or being literally in knifefight range in a tall enough tank to penetrate.

It's balanced the same way KV-2.
Sire it has ludicrous armor/firepower but there are also weaknesses as well.
KV 2 requires teammates or proper positioning since the realod in his doomcannon is SPG grade.
AT-2 on the other hand is a giant block of armor slowly rolling towards whatever enemy it wants while gathering fire from the less clever folk indoctrinated by german tanks into thinking that lower glacis = weakspot.
They fail to penetrate so they try other popular weakspots like driver viweports so they shoot the strange circular thing right in the middle of the upper hull... but that's another "fake" as the armor there is a monolitic 200+ that eats KV-1s shots like nothing and THEN they finally fire at the top hat and either hit spot on and do damage OR miss my several milimeters and get BOUNCED (and it can bounce KV-1s shells if they fail to connect properly and promptly give up or run.
All that while being seen by my team or me and pestered by their fire OR my popgun.

Also people rarely consider the mantlet to be a weakspot so... yeah.

Also note that it usually sees T5 matches so people rarely have a clue in them.
Self promotion below.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2906 on: December 31, 2013, 07:11:30 pm »

That's why you have teammates.

Yeah, teammates that have a tendency to rush past you and ignore any benefits that could be had by letting the AT-2 go first.  Have distinct memories of about to round a corner I knew enemies were covering that would have trouble with my armour and watching a teammates go rushing past me and immediately die.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 07:13:06 pm by Rilder »
Steam Profile

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2907 on: December 31, 2013, 07:16:56 pm »

18kph will do that to you. and your team.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2908 on: December 31, 2013, 08:29:25 pm »

That's exactly the problem: the AT-2 is a tank that creates great opportunities, but that requires a coordinated team that understands how to work together, which is rare at tier 5. If you had the same tank with scaled-up stats in T10, it'd be a monster. Sort of like the T30, IIRC.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2909 on: December 31, 2013, 08:40:00 pm »

witch would require the whole team to slow down to snail niveau, witch often is not advisable.

on some maps, these very slow tanks are great, where you dont have to move a lot and there are sniper positions close to the start.
on other maps, these tanks are just doomed to fail.
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 251