Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 251

Author Topic: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!  (Read 211042 times)

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!
« Reply #2880 on: December 29, 2013, 08:34:57 am »

I'm not sure about the IS (i have it but i'm waiting for my KV-1s to become elite before moving on to the next tank and i only need like 9k exp to unlock KV-13) but looking at KV-1s the line is supposed to be about mobility and brawling and the frontal armor (relatively well angled 120 mm on the IS) is just there to bounce the odd panicked shot.

Tiger on the other hand sits well back and blasts people with its laser pointer.
Sure the pen ot its gun is godly (as in not completely useless against tier 8 and 9 tanks) but the armor is only good for sidescraping and that's not always an option leaving the gigantic health pool as your only defense as most of the guns at this tier will pen it no matter how you anagle or where they hit.

Seriously show me one gun at tier 7 that could have problems with 100 mm of armor.

Other than that... i guess i'd have to agree that paradoxally the tiger is the best tank to drive when MM decides to drop you at the bottom of the list since unlike some other tanks you can at least reliably damage higher tier tanks.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
Re: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!
« Reply #2881 on: December 29, 2013, 10:00:34 am »

Damn, It's been a while since I have had a match this good. I also actually ran entirely out of ammo. Ended up dying when I rammed a KV into a building and had him pinned there. Not like there was much else I could do to the guy. Unforunately, our Arty was less than stellar and managed to miss a immobile target. Six times in a row. -_- So he ended up killing me.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hmm, What is everyone thoughts on the Wolverine? I'm a little curious. It's one of the American tier V TD's.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 10:22:34 am by Xardalas »

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2882 on: December 29, 2013, 11:47:16 am »

Don't blame the arty for missing. THe accuracy got nerfed so hard that missing immobile targets is actually morep robably than hitting them even when fully aimed since arty usually fires over large distances gets guns with 0.9 accuracy AND the accuracy revision does NOT affect artillery.

As for the Wolverine... during my first game in the Tiger (stock with a 150 penetration gun) it somehow bounced my shell despite being seemingly made out of paper meche.
The TD that comes after it is a freakin' monster that's basically a KV-1s without the armor and a gun that sacrafices alpha for higher DPM.
Self promotion below.

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #2883 on: December 29, 2013, 01:41:12 pm »

So, Grabbed a $30 pack of gold since all the sales. Grabbed a SU-122-44 as well as a Churchill VII, and kitted the SU and my KV-1S out with full permanent camo. Have about 600 gold left. Hopefully that will be enough to kit out my Hellcat with permanent camo when I get it.

If not, heck, I might just buy more gold. :P
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2884 on: December 29, 2013, 01:52:17 pm »

Don't blame the arty for missing. THe accuracy got nerfed so hard that missing immobile targets is actually morep robably than hitting them even when fully aimed since arty usually fires over large distances gets guns with 0.9 accuracy AND the accuracy revision does NOT affect artillery.

As for the Wolverine... during my first game in the Tiger (stock with a 150 penetration gun) it somehow bounced my shell despite being seemingly made out of paper meche.
The TD that comes after it is a freakin' monster that's basically a KV-1s without the armor and a gun that sacrafices alpha for higher DPM.

Ahahaha, no. Arty shouldn't have any trouble hitting stationary targets. That's the point of the nerf: arty is most effective against people that aren't moving (i.e. campers) and had to get lucky against fast targets. When I'm in my Hummel or S-51, anyone that stays still long enough for me to draw a bead is going to eat a shell to the face. It might have just been that the arty was sitting in a really shitty angle where they were hoping to splash the KV-1 rather than take the time to relocate.

The Wolvie is... I mean, it'd be a solid pick as a T6 TD if it wasn't competing with the Hellcat. But the Hellcat is what it is, which is a godly speed demon of death, fear, and 90mm shells.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2885 on: December 29, 2013, 02:14:02 pm »

Ahahaha, no. Arty shouldn't have any trouble hitting stationary targets. That's the point of the nerf: arty is most effective against people that aren't moving (i.e. campers) and had to get lucky against fast targets. When I'm in my Hummel or S-51, anyone that stays still long enough for me to draw a bead is going to eat a shell to the face. It might have just been that the arty was sitting in a really shitty angle where they were hoping to splash the KV-1 rather than take the time to relocate.

That's the problem. I had MANY games where i tried to kill one TD hiding in the bushes for at least half of the game and i got one hit at most (for around 300-400 damage becausethe stock S-51 gun sucks hard) because the shells go all over the target area instead of the thing you actually want to hit and the area is much larger since the nerf.
It might have something to do with my crew not being 100% yet but i don't think those additional 15% will make the shells much more accurate.

There is a reason why the ads for WoT after the gian SPG nerf constantly nagged about "joining the ranks of SPGs".
Self promotion below.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2886 on: December 29, 2013, 02:24:47 pm »

That's the problem. I had MANY games where i tried to kill one TD hiding in the bushes for at least half of the game and i got one hit at most (for around 300-400 damage becausethe stock S-51 gun sucks hard) because the shells go all over the target area instead of the thing you actually want to hit and the area is much larger since the nerf.
It might have something to do with my crew not being 100% yet but i don't think those additional 15% will make the shells much more accurate.

There is a reason why the ads for WoT after the gian SPG nerf constantly nagged about "joining the ranks of SPGs".

Oh yes, crew does make a difference. That aside, the 152mm has markedly better accuracy than the 203mm, but I rarely have trouble hitting things with the latter, and if I fire at someone who's moving perpendicular to my line of fire, I can usually peg them with the splash damage.

For a better comparison, the Hummel's second gun has the same accuracy as the S-51's 152mm, and again, I have very little trouble hitting anything but fast-moving tanks with it (with 100% on my gunner). The only arty that really should have trouble is very low-tier arty, because they're at the same level of accuracy, have little/no splash damage, and generally have low-skill crews.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2887 on: December 30, 2013, 02:11:43 am »

Re: The Wolverine

It's a solid tier 5 TD. But don't let the turret fool you. It shares a lot of similarities with the M4 but it really can't be played the same.

The reason it does bounce shots a surprising amount is that is has some crazy angling on the armor, but the armor otherwise is paper thin, so unless you manage to make things hit you at auto-bounce angles(which is relatively easy due to the geometry of the armor but still tough enough that you shouldn't depend on it) you're going to get penned and you don't have much HP to work with so that's almost always a bad choice.

You've got decent choices for guns at tier 5. The 76 mm that's on the M4 or the 105mm Howitzer that's on the M4. They're basically identical to the M4's setup weapon wise although I think the reload time is a bit shorter. The 76mm can be amazingly effective with it's decent penetration, okay damage, and good reload speed. Most good players who use the Wolverine will stick to the 76mm. Personally though, I prefer the 105. If I'm top tier, I clean up with it. If I'm low tier, I can still be helpful support as a spotter and with critical damage to crew and modules.

The really nice part is the spotting ability though. Those open top TDs are usually pretty good with it, but slap a pair of binocs on it and hide in a bush and you can rival a lot of dedicated scouts while still having a really nice gun to help out with when necessary. Double nice since the turret keeps you from having to reposition to aim. You can stay in full camo and optimal spotting mode while you sight your weapon and right up to the moment you fire.

I once really hated it, it sat in my garage for months without me touching it except when I felt I had to on the major XP bonus days and even then just the 1 or 2 games to get that. At some point I finally decided to give the 105 a try. I'd written if off after I'd watched so many "pro" players avoid it, but for me it works and it made all the difference. I'd originally decided I'd only unlock one of the branches off of it, but since then I've unlocked the Hellcat and decided I'd go for the Jackson as well and just elite the thing, since it has been so good to me and I've learned to have fun with it.

It basically is the odd offspring of a TD and a tank, and while sometimes you get abominations like the M3 Lee from that sort of pairing, the other side of the coin is that you get things like the Wolverine, which really can be a great tank if played correctly. Just don't go mistaking it for a medium, as I did for a long time. It may walk like a tank and quack like a tank, but it's all TD.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2888 on: December 30, 2013, 03:47:34 am »

Well i finally unlocked the top cannons for the Tiger I and IS (elited and sold KV-1s in the meantime).

IS was workable with the IDIOT gun i unlocked earlier on the KV-3 i think but the tiger.... oh god the poor tiger.
The only good thing i could say about the stock gun would be its fast RoF while looking like a normal gun causing people to get out of cover to shoot thinking you're reloading only to get pegged in the face with another shell because it has around 3.90 reload speed.
Self promotion below.

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2889 on: December 30, 2013, 10:24:38 am »

Re: The Wolverine
snip

Yeah, I can agree with you there. I actually manage to angle myself decent most of the time. I'm rather liking it which is good. I decided that I need a bit more experience in general with tanks before moving up to tier six and such, so I decided to sit in my wolverine till I hit about 1k battles. Should be amusing. Not to mention I should have a damn goo grasp of the maps and such by then. I'm sitting on about 536 battles right now. Wish my win rate was a bit better but I'll manage. I'm having it dip between 49% and 51%.

Hmm, I doubt I'll find out anything I haven't already learned on the official forums, but anyone have any tips?

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2890 on: December 30, 2013, 04:42:55 pm »

I just decided to play a game in KV-2 for old times sake and dear god this thing is hilarious.
I was in one of those new american maps camping in bushes.
I was a Stug on a hill so i took aim... fired... killed a stug AND Hellcat (that i didn't see to begin with) with one shell.

Better still when i checked the results screen i apparently didn't hit any of them since both recieved 0 piercing hits from me.

And the cherry topping the entire mess was the comment of a ARL 44 driver (whom i oneshoted via his turret side) saying "And people complain that KV-1s is overpowered".

EDIT: And i just had another game. This time with 9 kills and 3000 damage done.

I really should start making youtube vids about WoT.

Yeah, I can agree with you there. I actually manage to angle myself decent most of the time. I'm rather liking it which is good. I decided that I need a bit more experience in general with tanks before moving up to tier six and such, so I decided to sit in my wolverine till I hit about 1k battles. Should be amusing. Not to mention I should have a damn goo grasp of the maps and such by then. I'm sitting on about 536 battles right now. Wish my win rate was a bit better but I'll manage. I'm having it dip between 49% and 51%.

Hmm, I doubt I'll find out anything I haven't already learned on the official forums, but anyone have any tips?

Don't sit in on a tank (unless you really like it) just because you think you are inexperienced. Especially not at tier 5 where everyone is still herpaderping.
In fact my gaming ideology could be summed up by this wonderful video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL4xAthyxdA

Also if you want to improve your win ratio/eff then just play russian tanks... or grab a brit AT-2 and go nuts because it's phycially impossible to fail in a AT-2.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 05:46:32 pm by Sonlirain »
Self promotion below.

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2891 on: December 30, 2013, 10:06:36 pm »

Eh, I do enjoy the wolverine. And when I get my win ratio up, I want it to be because of my own skill and effort. Not a tank with frigging frontal armour so strong even gold shells don't pen it. :P

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2892 on: December 30, 2013, 10:57:11 pm »

Also if you want to improve your win ratio/eff then just play russian tanks... or grab a brit AT-2 and go nuts because it's phycially impossible to fail in a AT-2.

Eh I never got on with the AT-2 myself,  I found the AT-8 to be a bit better for its tier. (Not to mention having a top gun that I found much more suitable)
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2893 on: December 31, 2013, 07:22:19 am »

Eh I never got on with the AT-2 myself,  I found the AT-8 to be a bit better for its tier. (Not to mention having a top gun that I found much more suitable)
Imo AT-2 is the pinnacle of the brit TD line because of all that armor even if the guns are crap.
Also AT-8 is IMHO an absolute piece of crap due to the giant weakness on the front and side where the second (unusable) gun is located.
The front armor there is 70 mm thick without any sloping and the side has 50 mm so you basically have to cover the your entire right side from everyone because even tier 4 tanks will penetrate it without any problem.

Also when you get to tier 7 and AT-7 that is spared from that horrible weakspot your armor is slowly starting to get worse as enemy guns improve making the 100 mm of side armor more and more meh... heck some higher tier tanks you meet as a AT-7 can go through your front armor even without gold ammo making the whole point of this tank (being a slowly rolling impenetrable fortress of !!fun!!) moot.
Self promotion below.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2894 on: December 31, 2013, 07:29:28 am »

Except you get incredible aimtime + accuracy + shell speed + dpm and heavy HP so having "only" a lot of armor instead of a metric ton is less of an issue. The AT-8 kinda sucks, but the AT-7 and Tort are so much better than the AT-2. The only perk of the AT-2 is that it's foolproof; you could play the game with one finger and make that tank work, lol.
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 251