Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 251

Author Topic: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!  (Read 211071 times)

FireCrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!
« Reply #2865 on: December 25, 2013, 09:23:24 pm »

Interesting. Downloading now.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!
« Reply #2866 on: December 26, 2013, 10:57:11 am »

Well, they've actually got some nice prices on some premium tanks for the next couple of weeks. The tier 8s are still ridiculous, but everything up to the tier 5s look really tempting. I might pick a couple I don't have and give em a shot. The low tier premium tanks aren't that great for grinding, but they can be a lot of fun to play either way.

If nothing else, I think I'll get my T-127 back that I made the stupid mistake of selling way back when they gave it out for free.

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2867 on: December 27, 2013, 03:41:21 am »

Just got the Ken-Ni from the new Japanese line and suddenly I saw the perfect thing for this tank. All it needs is a orange paint-job. If anyone gets this reference please tell me how to custom paint a tank just for this one.
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2868 on: December 27, 2013, 05:05:48 pm »

Just got the Ken-Ni from the new Japanese line and suddenly I saw the perfect thing for this tank. All it needs is a orange paint-job. If anyone gets this reference please tell me how to custom paint a tank just for this one.

Err not sure but I think you need to go into your World of Tanks Directory, then go into res/packages folder and open up the correct nations vehicle package (Using 7zip I think works) then find the right DDS file for it and then use a program like gimp to modify it then I guess install it like any skin?  Then I think you have to create a directory in the res_mods/8.10 folder following the lines of the package file so its like World_of_Tanks/res_mods/0.8.10/vehicles/japan/J04_Ke_Ni then I think put the dds there? Don't take my word for it that was just what I gathered doing a little browsing, never done any skins myself.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2869 on: December 27, 2013, 05:23:26 pm »

So i got to the AT-2 and it's obviously very resiliant but i had an odd experience with it.

I was blocking 2 KV-1 and someo ther tanks in a narrow passage.
I managed to hide by tumor turret behind a house but they somehow still damaged me bit by bit with HE shells that in thoeory should get dissipated entirely by the frontal armor thickness.

Makes me wonder if there are more weakspots i don't know about.

Otherwise nothing short of artilery can even damage this thing.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2870 on: December 27, 2013, 05:38:24 pm »

They are doing 2x XP for every victory this weekend as an encore to the last one we had. Great weekend to platoon up for tons of XP =)

Makes me wonder if there are more weakspots i don't know about.

Here's the AT-2's frontal armor layout. The gauge on the right shows the armor values of each color.

Im assuming they hit that big yellow 76mm plate with HE; that's not nearly thick enough to reduce HE damage to 0.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 05:42:33 pm by Rex_Nex »

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2871 on: December 27, 2013, 05:45:24 pm »

Well that explains it i guess.
I had a far fetched hunch that the splash from the HE hit the (normally unhitable from the front) crew hatches) but the frontal plate makes more sense.
Self promotion below.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2872 on: December 27, 2013, 08:23:36 pm »

That or the similarly weak mantlet area, which is a much bigger target than the hatch while being almost as (platooning helped a lot, kept the winrate in the high sixties) I don't have much focused stuff  to grind right now (everything is pretty far away on most of the tanks I enjoy driving) and am generally in that halfway there area that requires too much time to get trough in a single weekend.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2873 on: December 28, 2013, 06:39:25 pm »

Just nabbed the 12mm BL-9 for my IS-3 ^_^. I can actually pen what I hit now!
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2874 on: December 28, 2013, 09:03:16 pm »

Aaand i finally got the tiger and elited the VK ##### (H).
The VK got immediately sold and i nabbed a Tiger.

Game # 1 i'm top tier... with a tier 5 TD gun sporting 150 pen.
My entire team crumbles and the match ends up 2 - 15 one kill being mine.

Game # 2 I'm bottom tier fodder in a Tier 9 game.
SOMEHOW i managed to penetrate a Tiger 2.
I got a shot into a T29s hull.
Ended up with around 300 damage done and well over 1000 spotting damage.

Oh boy this is going to be a joy.
Self promotion below.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2875 on: December 28, 2013, 09:56:56 pm »

I got so fed up with the 36.01H (and the prospect of more with the Tiger I) that I started down the Pz. III line with the eventual goal of the Tiger II. :|

OTOH, almost got the BL-9 for my IS-3, I'm getting close to finishing my time with the AMX 12t, and I finally bought my JagdPanther. Also picked up a SU-100Y and Chi-Nu Kai during the sale, both of which are proving to be quite a lot of fun. Wish I'd gotten a AT 15A before I ran out of gold, but I'll hit troll-tier armor in the British TDs soon enough.

Also ran up against a hero Sherman Jumbo the other day in my IS-3. I was leading the team and the match was fairly even, but this little guy zipped around cleaning up kills. He ended up getting an Oskin's Medal because he had the guts to drive that thing up to T8 heavies and shoot them in the face.

E: Hehehe, just had a magical moment in my Valentine AT. We were down to the last few, but all they had left was a Matilda, and none of us could pen it. I got a lucky track shot and spent the rest of the match keeping him tracked with HE blindfire from behind a bush 400m away. He got mad after the first thirty seconds or so. xD
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 11:51:25 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2876 on: December 29, 2013, 04:05:40 am »

Well i already have the tiger so i probably won't care if i have to go through a horrible Panther grind or a horrible Tiger grind at this point.
Self promotion below.

serephe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2877 on: December 29, 2013, 04:31:13 am »

Am I the only person that loves the tiger and panther?

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2878 on: December 29, 2013, 05:04:43 am »

Am I the only person that loves the tiger and panther?
No but Tiger Panther and Leopards don't really beling in this game or are placed in the wrong tier.

Tiger is put against tanks that were made with the explicit intent of countering it or tanks that were made after WW2.
That's history wise? How about game wise?
With 100 hull and 80 side armor it has basically the same armor as the VK and the only upgrade is the gun that comes MUCH later leaving you stuck with a gun that is overall WORSE than the VK Konish, a tier V Howitzer (seen most on the hetzer and PZ III/IV) and the historical short 88 that is woefully innefective against... just about everything at you tier thanks to its awesome 130 mm of penetration.
Basically it it wasn't for the top gun this could be a tier 6 tanks and noone would notice.
And it also could lead to Tiger(P) taht would THEN branch into the 2 lines.

The Panther is basically a TD discuised as a Medium and Leo (tier X medium) has no place on the cramped maps WoT offers as it was made to engage Soviet tanks from FAR away relocate and hit again... and not every WoT map is Redshire leaving it pretty much screwed on smaller maps.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 05:06:37 am by Sonlirain »
Self promotion below.

serephe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2879 on: December 29, 2013, 08:13:16 am »

I get penetrated more with my IS than I do with my Tiger. It lacks the dpm, pen, accuracy and health pool of the tiger too. It just seems that no matter how I angle the IS, they always have a spot they can easily pen me while with the tiger if I angle it well I get to see everyone just bounce off me. And even if I do get penetrate, the tiger has almost 300hp more. Even the panther has more health.

I honestly feel like the tiger is the best T7 heavy tank overall. Though if I could take a hulldown position I'd choose the T29 for sure.

The panther is a bit harder to do well in because its not much faster than the tiger, lacks the tigers ability to angle, lacks the tigers dpm, lacks alpha. It feels like a support tank, supposed to sit behind the friendly tanks and use its accuracy and rate of fire to aim for critical areas of enemy tanks like the tracks and engine.

The biggest problem with both tanks I think is that the reputation they have from WW2 makes people want them to be unstoppable machines of death... without taking the effort to actually try to use them properly.

That's just my opinion though.
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 251