Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 251

Author Topic: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!  (Read 211094 times)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!
« Reply #2835 on: December 11, 2013, 06:16:00 am »

Comet is a fairly safe bet, it's a good medium. Not sure how the Panther I/II are since they were buffed, but beforehand they were pretty bad tanks. Maus line is alright until tier 9. Don't do the Leo line. All of the Chinese lines are good, even if they do have lots of grinding attached. The lights are all great, the mediums are fine (T-34-2 is meh and I really dislike the WZ-120), and the heavies are OP.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 06:17:31 am by Rex_Nex »

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!
« Reply #2836 on: December 11, 2013, 06:27:59 am »

I'll get to the panther eventually, my next medium purchase is a KV-13 though. Ive just got more than enough Russians at the moment. I made a mistake earlier, I'm not at the Comet, I'm at the Cromwell.  Either way, I feel I should get started on a German line, and no, I'm not worried so much about the end of the tree, it just happens to be easy to identify branches that way. I'm actually really interested in the Aufklarung Panther, or whatever its called. I'm aware of its reputation as the Awful Panther,  but the stats look good. Its just a long grind away and I  can afford to at least start the low tiers of that branch while I do others.

Ive got a few more credits to grind out, but I think I've sufficiently steeled myself for the tiger. That'll probably be my next step, as much as Ive been dreading it. I know the tiger 2 and the e-75 will both be good though.

Thanks for the advice.

Also, I still hate the T-34(\85). Ive never been able to do well in those tanks.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2837 on: December 11, 2013, 09:50:40 am »

Oh, you should like the KV-13. It's absolutely delicious, and the frontal armor thickness + slope is good enough to deflect a surprising number of things.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2838 on: December 15, 2013, 05:28:21 pm »

http://worldoftanks.com/en/news/22/holiday-specials-2013/#

The end of year specials, including a chance to get a tier 8 premium tank for free, provided your willing to grind over 700 thousand XP over a month on tier 6s, I'm pretty sure that's well over a years worth of XP for me so NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

The freeby for new years is gonna be the Light Tank Mk.VIc, a little British one.
http://ftr.wot-news.com/2013/12/15/gift-tank-light-mk-vic-characteristics/
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 05:37:07 pm by Rilder »
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2839 on: December 15, 2013, 06:47:59 pm »

I think I'm looking forward to that 2x XP event and the cheaper tanks.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2840 on: December 15, 2013, 07:27:45 pm »

The freeby for new years is gonna be the Light Tank Mk.VIc, a little British one.

Cool i was low on garage slots.
But i learned since the T7 fiasco (tried liking it till the bitter end) and got myself a T18.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2841 on: December 15, 2013, 10:24:55 pm »

Does anyone remember those childrens' picture puzzles where you were supposed to find everything that was wrong with the image?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2842 on: December 15, 2013, 10:43:18 pm »

Does anyone remember those childrens' picture puzzles where you were supposed to find everything that was wrong with the image?
-snip-

So far:
1. You outdamaged the next guy by 1300 damage, and didn't even do a huge amount.
2. You did about 31.08% of the damage on your team.
     2a. You did it while not even top tier.
3. You are the only tank who did at least their own HP in damage
4. I see a fail platoon including multiple tiers AND a tier 4 scout.
5. The guy who did the most damage on the other team is a scout.
6. Except for their lowest two people, everyone on the other team got more XP that yours.
     6a. You are the only person who got more XP than someone on the other team.

Yep, I have those days too. My worst team yet involved 4 suicides before anyone started shooting.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2843 on: December 15, 2013, 10:51:36 pm »

Cool i was low on garage slots.
But i learned since the T7 fiasco (tried liking it till the bitter end) and got myself a T18.

Yeah, T7 was defenseless against those T18s, but now that things have calmed down and you only see 1 or 2 others in a low tier game, they can be kinda fun to play. Again, still defenseless against T18s, but effective enough against everything else that it doesn't matter THAT much. I'll be hanging onto it, if only because it'll likely be almost impossible to get again. I'll be hanging onto this British one as well. I made a mistake a few years back and sold the Tetrarch... every time it pops up in the gift shop I want it back again so bad, despite the fact that I never really liked it the couple of times I took it out.

I can't tell if they're serious about that IS-6 mission... I can't imagine ANYONE making that much XP under those conditions. Even if you did AMAZING on every game, that's still somewhere between 350 and 700 matches and nobody is going to make 1000 xp every game. Additionally, some people don't even have the required tanks at the moment, All but the Americans and Russians I'd have to buy back some tanks from tier 6. With the Chinese and Japanese, I'll be stuck grinding up to tier 6 so that's even more effort that has to be put in to even compete. And with the french, even though I have the 12t unlocked, I'd still probably have to grind out one of the other tanks, cause, as I remember the 12t was simply a terrible tank success wise. Ineffective as a scout and too fragile to get into a position to deal significant damage without a good amount of luck and surprise on your side. That's not even considering that tier 6 isn't all that great of an XP tier anyway.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2844 on: December 16, 2013, 12:07:08 am »

It's important to remember that this also counts any event XP. During this month, we'll be having x2 XP every battle for a weekend, x5 XP for the first victory of the day, every tank will be on sale, and crews will train between 2 and 3x faster. That turns a laughable event into something actually doable if you're serious about it, have T6s unlocked for every nation, and are good enough of a player (probably everyone with a 51-52%+ winrate could reasonably do it) to be making decent XP.

I'm really big into tanks, have pretty much everything unlocked, and have the credits to buy all the tanks I need. I'm not too excited to have to grind up the new JP line once it's released (really, WG?) just to grind 100k on the bad tier 6, but for the gold equivalent of an IS-6? I think that's bearable. Tier 6 is also a pretty fun tier with easy, quick wins. With the influx of T6 players, T6 matches are going to be very common. Playing your T7s during this event will also be incredibly lucrative; always top tier ftw!

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2845 on: December 16, 2013, 04:57:53 am »

It's bugged, holy crap the biggest mission they've ever done is bugged.

I just played a match with my T34 (first of the day, need money for Obj 140) and it said I completed the Japanese part of the mission. Well, there goes 100k xp XD
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2846 on: December 16, 2013, 08:49:37 am »

Here's to hoping we all get so lucky.

Also today's tankmas bundle.... hnnnng... The price is painful and definitely a non-buy for me, but that list... that list... so many tanks I've always wanted to try out.

Edit: Did they give everyone a free premium day?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 08:58:57 am by sluissa »

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2847 on: December 16, 2013, 12:08:50 pm »

Personally i never cared about all those "Get 50k exp today" missions.
I just don't care if i get one day of premium for it IF i have to spend almost the entire day grinding away for it (that's almost 50 battles even if i assume i get over 1k exp on average and every battle lasts 10 minutes this translates to almost 8 hours).

Also all of the gold tanks are junk anyway... maybe except for the german Lion but only because it has a usable gun and good frontal turret armor.

And the IS-6?
175 penetration at tier 8.
I still remember my endless cursing when i had the same gun on my KV-4 and the shell couldn't pen weakspots if they got angled even a bit (not to mention even hitting said weakspots with 0.46 acc).

Haha NOPE not wasting my life grinding away for a tank armed with this gun call me when you will be giving away a Lion.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2848 on: December 17, 2013, 05:45:46 am »

Some of the daily missions aren't bad, like the credit ones, those definitely are the sole reason I have 11-12 million credits at the moment, but yeah the XP shit, yeah I never bother with that stuff.

I mean I would love to have a tier 8 prem, but that's probably more of a reward to myself the day I finally manage to find a job in this fucking jobless area I live in.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 05:47:35 am by Rilder »
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2849 on: December 17, 2013, 10:19:47 am »

Also all of the gold tanks are junk anyway... maybe except for the german Lion but only because it has a usable gun and good frontal turret armor.

The IS-6 actually has /the/ best stats out of any T8 prem, and the Lowe has one of the worst (Mutant 6 is absolute worst ._.)

Not that I'm saying 175 pen is great, but it works for what is effectively a tier 7.5. The IS-6's 122 loses a LOT less accuracy than the KV-4's while turning the hull or turret, so you practically never have to aim :P
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 251