Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 251

Author Topic: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!  (Read 211092 times)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!
« Reply #2820 on: December 10, 2013, 06:32:51 am »

Got my first review up in a project I've started with RocketBrainSurgeon. He likes my writing, I like money.

It's probably pretty boring if you don't own a KV-5, but included is a replay of mine that Rocket added commentary on and uploaded to youtube. Definitely suggest watching it, especially if you own similar tanks (Maus, KV-4, KV-1, KV-220...).

http://rocketbrainsurgeon.com/kv-5-review/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGxyjfLfxms
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 06:45:27 am by Rex_Nex »

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!
« Reply #2821 on: December 10, 2013, 07:10:21 am »

Got my first review up in a project I've started with RocketBrainSurgeon. He likes my writing, I like money.

It's probably pretty boring if you don't own a KV-5, but included is a replay of mine that Rocket added commentary on and uploaded to youtube. Definitely suggest watching it, especially if you own similar tanks (Maus, KV-4, KV-1, KV-220...).

http://rocketbrainsurgeon.com/kv-5-review/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGxyjfLfxms

While similar i don't think many things that work with a KV-5 just won't with a KV-4.
Those 2 tanks just have nothing but their weight and side armor in common.
Some are obvious (like the fact the KV-4 has no R2D2 to hide) other not quite.
For example you just can't expose your rear in a KV-4 because unlike the KV-5 (that has if i remember correctly 140 mm of armour) it has only 90 in the back and thats barely enough to bounce light tank guns unless someone fires at a VERY steep angle.
And in addition the KV-4 is a hell of a lot slower.
So yeah most of the things shown in that video would get a KV-4 killed double dead.

I guess most tactics would work perfectly with a KV-1 thanks to its tough... everywhere armor (and virtially no turret weakspots that make it go from "tough" to "god zeus" when hull down).
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2822 on: December 10, 2013, 07:16:01 am »

Actually, the KV-4 and KV-5 have very similar rear armor; both 90mm (although the KV-5 has a few strips of thicker armor on the lower half)! I'd suggest not actually showing your rear as either tank.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 07:17:49 am by Rex_Nex »

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2823 on: December 10, 2013, 05:30:11 pm »

Just had an amazing game in, of all things, an AMX 13 75... In a tier 9 game.

Spoiler: Summary (click to show/hide)

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2824 on: December 10, 2013, 06:53:14 pm »

Well i had a crazy game in my KV-1.
http://wotreplays.com/site/474740#self

For those not interested in watching the replay here's a short recap.
ENTIRE team goes left.
I go right.
Vandalize 3 tanks and act as a spotter for arty that kills the 4'th tank.
Meanwhile entire team gets killed.
Pushes on to the enemy base.
Enemy team begins caping our base.
Left alone without the speed to stop the cap (I would probably get murdered anyway) i pushed on and killed 3 SPGs near the enemy base.
And ching ching.
Top Gun.
Steel Wall.
Passuci's Medal (killing 3 SPGs).
We lost but i feel that i won by the virtue of getting "winners exp".
Self promotion below.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2825 on: December 10, 2013, 08:18:15 pm »

I need some Advice. I'm taking a long hard look at the tech tree trying to figure out my next steps. Seriously considering the path to the Maus. But the Leopard 1 path could be interesting as well (not sure if I should go light or medium though. I'm at the pz 3/4 but they've changed the path on that a dozen times so I'm sick of grinding it.) Alternatively, I'm up to the Comet on the British medium line.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2826 on: December 10, 2013, 08:32:45 pm »

Well i'm no authority but i'd say the Maus is way too situational.
Sure it's the will of GOD himself on maps like himmelsdorf but it gets picked apart on any open map.
Same thing about leo but in reverse.
It will dominate on open maps as long as its either hidden or far enough to pop up take a shot and get away before anyone can get a good lock.

All in all i think you should rather go for the Maus since maps in WoT generally won't let a Leo play to its full ability.
I would also suggest considering a E-75 (and stop at tier 9 because E-100 is a horrible mistake)
Self promotion below.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2827 on: December 10, 2013, 08:44:52 pm »

I do have the Tiger unlocked, but for some reason I'm just not loving the idea of it.

Everything is situational in this game to some extent.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2828 on: December 10, 2013, 09:18:22 pm »

I do have the Tiger unlocked, but for some reason I'm just not loving the idea of it.

People say its good these days but back in Aprilish when I actually tried to drive it I just hated it, pure pain to the point of it becoming the only tank to earn the distinction of me Rage quitting it, and since the path to the Panther from the 3601 still existed back then I ended up just blitzing over to the panther, NO REGRETS, I love the panther.  Eventually ended up unlocking the Tiger 2 anyways and bought that which I have been actually enjoying.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2829 on: December 10, 2013, 09:38:38 pm »

People say its good these days but back in Aprilish when I actually tried to drive it I just hated it, pure pain to the point of it becoming the only tank to earn the distinction of me Rage quitting it, and since the path to the Panther from the 3601 still existed back then I ended up just blitzing over to the panther, NO REGRETS, I love the panther.  Eventually ended up unlocking the Tiger 2 anyways and bought that which I have been actually enjoying.

You should try playing the chinese medium line.
At tier 6 you get a peashooter with 126 penetration... not bad for its tier.
And once you hit tier 7 you will notice that... you have to still use the SAME gun.
126 pen at tier 7... but wait the top gun is unlocked by researching the IS-2 right?
Yes but you have to upgrade your turret first.
Turret upgraded can i mo...
NO!
You have the right turret but you have to upgrade your suspension because while it lets you mount the second turret its not good enough to mount a usable gun as well.

So you have to either spend a TON of free XP OR squirm and writhe grinding with a 126 pene gun on tier 7.
And it's even worse if you didn't notice that researching IS-2 automatically unlocks the top gun for this tank.

So... at least the tiger had 150 pene when stock.
Self promotion below.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2830 on: December 10, 2013, 09:53:41 pm »

That sounds like typical Russian tech tree progress. But yeah, there's a reason I've not progressed on the Chinese tree despite some really tasty looking tanks higher up.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2831 on: December 10, 2013, 09:57:06 pm »

I'm actually going to go the Chinese medium tree as an auxiliary to my Chinese light tree. The tier 7 can't be worse then the Russian mediums where if you go the A-43 you have to use a tier 6 with the exact same guns available as the T-34 or go the T-43 and have a tier 7 with the same guns available as the tier 6 T-34/85. At least the T-34-1 gets a top gun better then the previous tier.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 10:05:25 pm by Rilder »
Steam Profile
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2832 on: December 10, 2013, 10:22:30 pm »

That's exactly why I went into the Chinese lights, which are proving to be oodles of fun.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2833 on: December 11, 2013, 03:31:33 am »

That's exactly why I went into the Chinese lights, which are proving to be oodles of fun.

That indeed, definitely the funnest lights I've ever driven this side of the Crusader.
Steam Profile

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2834 on: December 11, 2013, 04:00:36 am »

But you have it the other way around. With the russians, the T-34-85 gets a T7 gun, which is pretty damn good for a medium tank of its tier, and godlike on a T6 one too.

The A-43 is an odd one though, sure you'll struggle with penetrating stuff sometimes, but this tank is made for flanking, and when you do that properly, you will melt things since, depending on the gun you chose you either get less than two seconds reload or less than three seconds reload time. A damned bullet hose that one.

As far as suggestions go, I'd say go for the Comet, or the Panther. Don't warry all that much about the top tier tanks since those are a long way away usually. And these two are very fun to drive mediums, who also have very fun to drive successors.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 251