Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 251

Author Topic: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!  (Read 211138 times)

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!
« Reply #2730 on: September 27, 2013, 06:21:03 pm »

If you don't have the patience to wait for World of Warships, are in it for a few cheap laughs or simply want to absolutely take a piss on a KV-2s day by soaking up a direct hit in a tank of the same tier and proceed to utterly violate his fat turret, I can only suggest that you somehow acquire the TOG II* if you don't already have it - even if it means to save up a little more gold. The landship is worth it, if only for the comedic value of driving one.

Plus, at times you'll kick ass simply because people will underestimate it - the gun still hurts a ton or two, but it's still advisable to bring along a friend or so to keep your flanks clean because they're so fucking huge.

At least you don't have to worry about being rammed to death anymore. Sometimes you might just be able to kill that nasty little jackass who's circling around you simply by swerving your TOG's ass into his movement path and have him run into almost a hundred-ish tons of British steel.

I'm playing a KV-2 and i disagree.
Penning a TOG2 is not hard (the armor is pretty crap) even from the front and you than can wait those 20 seconds of reload behind a rock while the TOG either rushes (Haha) you or dashes (Hahahaha) for cover in both cases it won't make it.
Then all you have to do is pop out of cover and finish the job... unless your team didn't already.
I'm not saying the venerable TOG is a bad tank... it's just that it's a land whale and KV-2 is the whailer.

Speaking of the KV2... i began collecting replays of KV-2 penetrations (going to make a YT video of it later) one of my favourites was when i somehow penetrated a Tiger P from the front... i have no idea how it happened but it got nuked for 917 damage.
They don't really happen often unless you know exacly where to shoot (and the RNG decided to go with it) but when they happen... each and every one is hilarious (unless it's some poor low tier light/medium or someone on critically low HP already).

Also in the news... i decided to check out my inventory and sell off components i don't use... all in all i got 1 milion silver after cleaning the garage of old baubles like tracks, old guns for tanks i will never use ETC.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!
« Reply #2731 on: September 27, 2013, 06:34:09 pm »

The TOG is okay in combat it can dictate, but that's not really something it can easily do. If you're up against decent opponents who can dictate the when&where, the TOG is perhaps the worst T6 in the game.

I hear it works pretty well when you've got platoonmate who can help you in those situations, though. I wouldn't bother buying one myself, they are like pinatas :P

Julius Clonkus

• Bay Watcher
  • [NIGHTMARE_FETISHIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2732 on: September 28, 2013, 04:08:17 am »

As for TOGs and KV-2s; the latter can easily fire across the former, so I've had some fun with that combination acting as the KV-2's mobile sandbag barrier and gun emplacement against small fry.
Holy schist, this thread is mica me sick.
DF Players never truly leave.  They just abandon the fortress for a few years and then reclaim.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2733 on: September 28, 2013, 11:08:18 am »

Actually kind of a fitting end to the 59-16 (It was my last battle in it)

Now to move on to Derpier pastures, the WZ-131.

Actually looks like it could be a lotta fun later on with that 100mm.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2734 on: September 28, 2013, 11:23:47 am »

Keep in mind you'll suffer before you unlock the first 85m gun since you'll be using the shitty autoloader one from the 59-16

It also doesn't play as a pure scout, more like a really really nasty hornet that pesters whatever it can flank but has special hatred for arty.

Also finished the weekend mission today, woo 7 days of premium and a bunch of other stuff, and during the process I somehow got 50k xp too so I have 8 days now. And most of it is going to waste because I won't have a proper internet connection come Monday :C
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: September 28, 2013, 11:44:49 am »

It also doesn't play as a pure scout, more like a really really nasty hornet that pesters whatever it can flank but has special hatred for arty.

Yeah thats primarily the reason I went down that line, not so much for the scouting, (I don't have the mind to scout for the most part)but for a sort of battle-light experience. (Not really I only went down the 59-16 line because I love the aesthetics of the tanks down that line.... actually it was more that I watched The Beast and just had to drive a tank of similar aesthetics to the T-55)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 11:51:02 am by Rilder »
Steam Profile
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2736 on: October 04, 2013, 02:36:54 pm »

Updating takes time..
Any way, I just made an account for this game today and thought I would try it.
is it similar to Hawken, planetside 2 or is it in a whole different category?

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2737 on: October 04, 2013, 03:37:24 pm »

Updating takes time..

Bought a Nvidia card eh?
It's semi realistic... while tanks in Planetside or Battlefield usually have a pretty basic armor system that usually look like this:
Tank shell hits the front armor - Deals 25% of the tanks HP in damage.
Tank shell hits side - Deals 50% of the tanks HP in damage.
Tank shell hits read - Deals 95% of the tanks HP in damage.

The damage system in WoT is a LOT more intricate with tanks having weakspots ETC.
For example if you hit someone at a very shallow angle the shot in WoT WILL bounce leaving a nice scar on the armor (unless its HE) while in Planetside it will do damage as normal.

All in all its definitely not a tank simulator (the maps are so small that you usually end up in a knifefight) but the mechanics are far more complex compared PS2 or BF.

Also if you're starting know 2 things.

1 - Russian tanks are the best for new players so work towards a KV-1 ASAP.
2 - SPGs got nerfed to the ground and several meters below don't bother and if you REALLY want one get the arty through the KV-2 because low tier artillery is nigh unplayable.

Ah and... does Bay12 have any tank companies on EU servers?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 03:55:44 pm by Sonlirain »
Self promotion below.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2738 on: October 05, 2013, 10:12:24 am »

8.9 Preview video

Looking pretty nice honestly, especially as I'll be able to finally get MY FUCKING NASHORN.

(Also apparently that warthunder game is hyping their tanks, though honestly from what I've seen the only thing they have over WoT is graphics, the gameplay all looks shittier)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 10:41:56 am by Rilder »
Steam Profile

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2739 on: October 05, 2013, 10:33:57 am »

Also the new T5 TD, while being both the size and shape of a bus will have a godlike gun, namely, an 88/l71 clone with a few mm's less of penetration.

Also also, fuck weekend idiots, fuck them with a shovel. When you get to T10 and have learned nothing since your first battle you deserve to get abused, that shit is stupid and detracts from everybodies enjoyment, because holy fuck there's a lot of people driving T10 tanks around with little to no idea on just what the hell they're doing.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Habbadax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cackling Cavalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: October 05, 2013, 10:43:49 am »

Updating takes time..

Bought a Nvidia card eh?
It's semi realistic... while tanks in Planetside or Battlefield usually have a pretty basic armor system that usually look like this:
Tank shell hits the front armor - Deals 25% of the tanks HP in damage.
Tank shell hits side - Deals 50% of the tanks HP in damage.
Tank shell hits read - Deals 95% of the tanks HP in damage.

The damage system in WoT is a LOT more intricate with tanks having weakspots ETC.
For example if you hit someone at a very shallow angle the shot in WoT WILL bounce leaving a nice scar on the armor (unless its HE) while in Planetside it will do damage as normal.

All in all its definitely not a tank simulator (the maps are so small that you usually end up in a knifefight) but the mechanics are far more complex compared PS2 or BF.

Also if you're starting know 2 things.

1 - Russian tanks are the best for new players so work towards a KV-1 ASAP.
2 - SPGs got nerfed to the ground and several meters below don't bother and if you REALLY want one get the arty through the KV-2 because low tier artillery is nigh unplayable.

Ah and... does Bay12 have any tank companies on EU servers?

I absolutely adore the complexity of the damage system, particularly being able to take advantage of shot traps

I found a whole new realm of fun in tearing apart KV-1s while I was working through the T1-Heavy, I found that I could reliably put shells into the turret ring at a staggering rate, chewed them right apart

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: October 05, 2013, 11:13:50 am »

Well that's the KV-1ss fault it stuck around after unloading the doomcannon.
It's around 15 seconds of being absolutely harmless in that tank.
But hey it's going to get a buff with a more universal gun... possibly the 100 mm idiot gun.

Oh and on a unrelated note... i'm 30k away from the arty that comes after KV-2.
I just adore that thing. Some time ago i miraculously penned a Tiger(p) from the front... i watched the replay and still can't understand how the hell this happened.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 11:23:51 am by Sonlirain »
Self promotion below.

Habbadax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cackling Cavalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: October 05, 2013, 11:51:34 am »

Well that's the KV-1ss fault it stuck around after unloading the doomcannon.
It's around 15 seconds of being absolutely harmless in that tank.
But hey it's going to get a buff with a more universal gun... possibly the 100 mm idiot gun.

Oh and on a unrelated note... i'm 30k away from the arty that comes after KV-2.
I just adore that thing. Some time ago i miraculously penned a Tiger(p) from the front... i watched the replay and still can't understand how the hell this happened.

KV-1s, plural KV-1, not KV-1S
Though the KV-1S was another fun time target, I got pretty damn good at setting them on fire while I was driving the T1, which has sorta carried over to everything else I drive

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: October 05, 2013, 12:39:26 pm »

Well KVs usually have a fuel tank on the front ending up in !FUN! if you encounter someone with a high pen gun who knows where to shoot.
Self promotion below.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: October 05, 2013, 01:34:26 pm »

I remember doing something like 1150 damage to a TOG in one shot with a KV-2 once, from the front. Not sure if that's still possible. The sucky thing about the KV-2 is that you're very dependent on teammates to cover your ass and take the lead, because you're so vulnerable during that reload. I actually decided to go for brothers in arms with it before anything else, just trying to minimize that reload time as much as possible.

Fighting KV-2s, I know my heart stops briefly when I see one looking right at you with the megaderp. WoT is weird in that it's the only game that seems to affect my heartbeat... if I'm the last one alive, I know it starts pounding like crazy, something that never happens elsewhere or in other games. That's about as good of an endorsement as I can give for it... it has its problems, but there's not really anything like it.

Edit: Oh, my avatar is a KV-2. Yeah, I love that thing.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 01:37:20 pm by UrbanGiraffe »
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 251