Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 251

Author Topic: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!  (Read 211327 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

I reveal AFKers, and I reveal people who are hiding when they could have done something useful (e.g. a mid-tier medium who hid in the back of the map the whole round), the former to keep the match from dragging on, and the latter because I've long since gotten tired of people who are afraid of getting their paint scratched. If it's something like LMS arty or someone who was trying but ended up alone against overwhelming odds, I'll cheer for them and try to misdirect the enemies by fake-revealing an incorrect location.

Basically, if someone did anything useful at all I won't give them away. Botters, AFKers, and people who tried to avoid being anywhere near the enemy (that weren't arty/sniper role tanks)? Fuck 'em, they can pay repair costs like everyone else.

The front armor of the 3601, if angled correctly can bounce an impressive amount of shots off of it.
This has always felt very luck-based to me; I've had T4s pen at absurdly bad angles, and I've also seen a KV-1S bounce a shell from the long 122mm at 50 meters and 45°. In the latter case the Comet I was next to actually turned his turret to look at me after hearing the ping.  :P

That aside, something like half of the glacis above the slope is taken up by the viewport and pintle-mounted MG, so I really never feel comfortable sitting out of cover waiting for my reload unless I'm sniping from very far back indeed.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There is a way to complain/report about idlers/botters. Can't say it does any good, but it at least has more chance of doing good than a single lost game would.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile

So, I got the KV-2, and already had the top radio and second engine unlocked.

What do I need to get on it, especially in order to mount the 152?
Nothing important here, move along.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

There is a way to complain/report about idlers/botters. Can't say it does any good, but it at least has more chance of doing good than a single lost game would.
The extra mile always hurts just a little bit more, though.

So, I got the KV-2, and already had the top radio and second engine unlocked.

What do I need to get on it, especially in order to mount the 152?
You don't necessarily need anything, except maybe the second set of tracks (I don't remember the weights, as I sold mine a while ago). The second turret offers some small improvements in range and traverse speed, as well as better sloping. The engines are also very slight improvements; the second reduces the chance of fire, while the third adds 60 horsepower.

Basically the KV-2 is the gun, and everything else, while helpful, is also largely incidental. I wouldn't bother with the ZiS-6 if I were you. It basically turns the KV-2 from a frightening support weapon into a mediocre heavy. I ground all the way to the S-51 without once considering switching from the 152mm to the 107mm.

3. Run Resize Enable

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile

I wasn't planning on getting the other gun. The 152 is my goal.

Good to know that I don't need anything else, because just getting to that gun is miserable. The 122 is definitely not able to knock something out in one hit, even if it's got a decent reload speed, and the KV-2 itself is a big, slow target.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

So, as this special has dropped the Churchill I below 200k, I finally picked it up. I'm liking it a lot more than I thought that I would, it's quite the shell sponge. Slow as all hell even with the top engine and suspension, but a fairly hard target with a mediocre gun (until I get the last one).

3. Run Resize Enable

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile

The Churchills have really, really good armor. That's pretty much their main advantage.

In other news, finally got my 152. Proceeded to nail a small tank hauling ass 400 meters out with the second shot I make.

The first, in case you were curious, was against a Churchill's front armor. It only took half its HP in damage.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Yeah, the 152mm is surprisingly excellent for sniping, especially once you internalize the lead time and rangefinding. Nothing quite like the stream of profanity after you nail someone from across the map with it. Maybe it's just me, but for some reason it has always seemed to get much better accuracy than the distribution indicator would suggest.

3. Run Resize Enable

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, the Churchie is a good shell absorber, but with the final 75mm you'll have to be careful, as it gets miserable gun depression with it. That's what finally killed it for me(since I can deal with slow tanks if it gets good guns, bun not a slow tank with a good gun thet you can't really aim downwards on).
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile

Hey all, last time I said I was going to start playing this, I never really followed through, and didn't even finish the download.
Now I'm seriously serious, and I have a question or so.
I am drawn towards the light tanks, but I read that they have extremely varying uses depending on the model.
I also understand that the nation you select generally has a large impact on your tank's usefulness.
So, I guess my question is, what nations have the best light tanks, and for what roles?
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Lights are a bit tricky to play in the higher tiers, but you start off every nation in the light tanks. For a new player, I'd say to try the German, Russian, and American lines at the start, as they are well-balanced and not going to throw you any curves. And, honestly, I'd say stick to mediums for a while before branching out. Maybe heavies, too, but lights seem to require a lot of skill, and a lot of times you end up sacrificing yourself for the good of the team. A medium has the harassment and speed you may be seeking in a light, plus a tiny bit of durability and a bit more punch. Just my two cents, though.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile

If you really want to get into the 'zippy, fast' brand of light tanks, you're going to probably want the T-50. It's down the Russian line starting with the T-26, and is a split off of the path to get the KV-1 (also a damn good tank, leading to yet more damn good tanks).

The lights leading up to the German's PzIV are slow for lights, but are still manageable if you're careful and smart. The guns they have are actually surprisingly effective at sniping even heavy tanks, if you can hit side or rear armor. The Pz. I line, however, is really, really good in a lot of ways.

I have no experience with American lights other than facing them, but they can be pretty powerful.

I also have no experience with French lights beyond facing them, but they seem to come in two flavors: light, fast, hard to hit but easy to kill little bastards with deadly powerful guns or the ducks, which are heavies disguised as lights.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Never had so many shots hit me in one match. IS-3, top tier. My team decided to leave me alone facing about five tanks, thankfully only one seemed to be able to damage me (Hellcat). 32 hits taken, potential damage of 6,525. Got me a well-earned steel wall, plus a second class mastery badge for my troubles.

Oddest part was I bounced two shots off an Easy 8 from less than 30 meters.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

The ELC is a troll machine. After that the French lights (until a certain point) are mostly support/sniper tanks, because holy shit do they have terrible acceleration.

3. Run Resize Enable

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

Going to second what was said. Light tanks require a rather big amount of meta knowledge, about both your and other tanks and pretty much all the maps. Also knowing how most people will react and move on certain maps is extremely useful. That said, there is a number of scouts tanks that are much more forgiving than the rest when it comes to these things.

The French are a good example where their light tanks approach medium tank levels of firepower while having pretty nice mobility. You can easily tag along with heavier tanks or skirt the edges of a fight while looking for an opening to unload and ruin someones day.

The US light's are somewhat similar in that they aren't as small or quick but they pack quite a punch so their ideal role is counterscouting, making sure their scouts don't ruin your teams day. After that harrassment and arty hunting comes into play which is some of the most fun stuff you can do in a tank.

The Germans I haven't played all that much when it comes to scouts but they seem to be beefy scout and arty hunters that are decently mobile and can take a beating in most cases.

USSR scouts aren't that numerous but are pretty much a balls to the wall speedsters that aren't there to do crazy amounts of damage and spot but mostly to annoy and distract the fuck out of the other team. Nothing quite like having three or more tanks chasing after you instead of fighting where they're needed.

And lastly the Chinese ones are pretty decent from what I've seen. Having some decent mobility and excellent firepower for light tanks, allowing them to damage most tanks from the sides and in some cases from the front. They're played best as support tanks, much like the French, taking advantage of distracted enemies and gaps in the defense to slip trough and blow shit up in their base.

Hopefully that helps somewhat :)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 251