Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 251

Author Topic: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!  (Read 211411 times)

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

what aspects are still missing while I'm at tier 3?

The metagame changes - at tier 1-3 the game is fast paced - tanks move fast, tanks die fast, matches are (usually) quick, and there's little room for error. Make a mistake and you're back at your garage. The game is less about tactics and more about the grand plan.

Starting at tier 5 and ramping up until about tier 8, the game begins to change. Slower vehicles with more armor, matches can take longer, and you've got some more room for error, especially in the heavies. Angling armor, sidescraping, understanding penetration, ricochets, becoming familiar with other tanks armor layouts and more start opening up. This is when your quality as a player starts to mean more and more.

Of course, tier 1-3 also have a very small map rotation. Have you played on Port yet? Siegfried Line? Maps start opening up, and there are three dozen or so of them.

The map thing explains so much! Also, I like the sound of the game shift, it's like having two games in one!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

what aspects are still missing while I'm at tier 3?

The metagame changes - at tier 1-3 the game is fast paced - tanks move fast, tanks die fast, matches are (usually) quick, and there's little room for error. Make a mistake and you're back at your garage. The game is less about tactics and more about the grand plan.

Starting at tier 5 and ramping up until about tier 8, the game begins to change. Slower vehicles with more armor, matches can take longer, and you've got some more room for error, especially in the heavies. Angling armor, sidescraping, understanding penetration, ricochets, becoming familiar with other tanks armor layouts and more start opening up. This is when your quality as a player starts to mean more and more.

Of course, tier 1-3 also have a very small map rotation. Have you played on Port yet? Siegfried Line? Maps start opening up, and there are three dozen or so of them.

The map thing explains so much! Also, I like the sound of the game shift, it's like having two games in one!

In addition to the maps opening up, you also see two new gametypes once you hit T6: Neutral flag, where spawns are slightly different from the base mode and there's a (you guessed it) neutral objective, usually with spawns in two corners and the flag on the opposite side; as well as an attack-defend mode where one side has their flag on one section of the map and the other team has two spawns but no flag and needs to capture the base or kill the enemy team before time is up.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I recommend switching Assault mode off, it's bad. It's an option in Settings.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm not at tier 6 and I have those gamemodes. You can opt out of them in the options menu if you don't like them.

Also, I got my T-34 the other day and I've been having a bit of fuin in it, very glad I slogged through the A-20 to get it.

Now I just have to do the same with the Lee to get the M4... bleh.
I hope the other faction's tier 4s aren't so... bleh

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, assault seems a bit busted at the moment. Needs balancing. Attacker loses maybe 3 of 4 matches.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile

T4's are more often bleh than not. The M3 at least has a few advantages like a pretty good gun that can let you actually hold your own in it if you're really careful.
Nothing important here, move along.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

It might be T5, IDK. But frankly I see a roughly 50:50 split in Assault, if only because it's fairly common for defenders to be idiot lemmings and rush out to be killed instead of defending.

3. Run Resize Enable

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile

It's T4, maybe T3.
Nothing important here, move along.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

I just had a match on whats-it-called bridge map. Most of the team died of stupidity, and at the end there were four of us left: an Easy 8, one of the T6 VKs, a Matilda, and my Grille. On the opposite side were these: A Churchill VII (I think? It's the T6 one), a JagdPzIV, a TOG, a T14, an ELC, a T-150, a KV-1S, and a SU-26. So 4 vs. 8 and they have more heavies than we have tanks.

They've taken town and three of us are holed up on the east side, with the Matilda in the valley near the bridge. I do the nasty to the T14 as it approaches my position and it never notices me, stopping to trade shots with the Easy 8, which finishes it off. I know that lots of bad things are coming from the same way, so I retreat about halfway up the hill towards the bridge, hiding in another bush. I track and badly hurt the Church when it shows up, allowing the Easy 8 and VK to finish it off. So I'm feeling slightly better by this point, "only" an ELC, a low-tier arty, a T6 TD, and three heavies against three damaged mediums and an arty. I retreat to the bushes at the top of the hill right next to the bridge road.

That's when the T-150 drives off the cliff. He gets stuck, bounces a few shells from the mediums, kills the Matilda, and I blast him to bits. The ELC then drives off the cliff. He manages to not track himself and hides behind a house. I'm trying to get a bead on him when I hear the spotting ping and notice the KV-1S driving out onto the bridge, stopping right at that little bit of rubble that people use to ramp onto the middle section. He's already nearly dead from my attentions earlier in the match, so I polish him off. A little bit later, the ELC drives out of cover and into our cap. The VK and Easy 8 hurt him, and I manage to splash-kill him.

Shortly after that, the JagdPzIV drives off the cliff. (You may be noticing a pattern here.) He gives me a beautiful shot into his side and I blow him away. That's when I hear the ping of the TOG pulling up right under the bridge. I can't hit him, but he's on a sliver and the Easy 8 punches his ticket. We drive for the cap while the ELC driver babbles into his chat box, and the SU-26 apparently decided it wasn't worth trying to stop us.

That's the story of how I got my Grille Ace Tanker badge.  :P

It's also an excellent lesson on cockiness.... We won that because we stayed concealed and focused fire. But we also won because they were bloody stupid and attacked us piecemeal.

3. Run Resize Enable

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

I was going through some of WG's tutorials, tank guides, and such on youtube today when I happened across an aspect of the camouflage mechanics that I wasn't aware of. Apparently when you fire it makes all bushes within 15 meters temporarily transparent to the enemy (incidentally, 15m is the same range within which bushes become transparent to you while in sniper mode). This explains so much.

Also, this weekend is giving 50% off on garage slots starting the 26th, so if you've still got that gold from those two things, now (or more accurately tomorrow) is your chance.

3. Run Resize Enable

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

Also, this weekend is giving 50% off on garage slots starting the 26th, so if you've still got that gold from those two things, now (or more accurately tomorrow) is your chance.
This is dang-near perfect timing.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile

Woot 8.5, might take some time to bum around in a couple of these new Russian Lights for no reason.

Edit:

« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 03:25:31 pm by Rilder »
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Woot 8.5, might take some time to bum around in a couple of these new Russian Lights for no reason.

Edit:

these screenshots show the T-60 is bad! 4 t-60's got owned by one tank! :P
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Finally got around to buying my T-50-2. I love it, but holy shit does it cost a lot to run. Minimum 8k repair costs and it typically takes in maybe 4k with a good match. That, and a love-tap will kill it, and it takes ~12k exp to get to the top gun if you've already gotten everything possible through other tanks. >.<

Also, apparently the BatChat can fire three rounds in five seconds.

3. Run Resize Enable

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Heh, so far I'm liking all the new russian lights, the have so pretty decent slopes to their armor!(makes for lots of autocannon bounces!)

Also, GOOD GODDAMN the Konisch on the VK-3601 is just now unfair. Even with the slight pen hit(it dropped to 157 average), 165 average damage with a ROF of over 11 is quickly becoming my go-to gun for clubbing seals
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 251