Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 251

Author Topic: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!  (Read 211494 times)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Seems to be a common issue! :c

You can mod it back to the default, but yea. They really ought to make these things optional.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile

I'm new to WoT, and seem to be horrible with scout tanks. I don't suiscout, I just...die anyway. :(
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

EDIT: I will note before this, I'm sure others have more experience in scout tanks than I do, but I've spent a fair share of time in them, especially the ELC AMX. So anyone with more experience in other trees or just in general, feel free to correct me, but this is all things I've found to be at least somewhat helpful to the team as a whole while playing bottom/near bottom scout. If you're near the top of the rankings, you might need to play completely differently, but don't forget, even if you're at the top of the rankings, you're still pretty fragile and lots of things can still chew you up. You'll just have a better chance of chewing them up as well.

Scout tanks are fairly hard to play. Unless you wait for the right moment and steal a kill from another tank, it's hard to get kill XP with them, but you've got a few choices to be of benefit to your team.

If you've got a fairly decent gun, you can zip around and harass the enemy, not doing all that much damage, not even really getting that much XP, but distracting the enemy and keeping their big guns focused on little old you and not your bigger teammates which they should be on. Even a bad gun can distract a bad player, as if they're not paying attention, they won't realize they're not actually taking damage from your hits. If your bigger team mates are firing at the same time, they might struggle to figure out where the damaging shots are coming from.

You can literally scout. Some people consider this suicide, and it can be, but ideally you won't rush headlong into the enemy lines and get killed. Learn the maps, learn the paths most people take, learn good places to hide(and TRAIN UP YOUR CAMO SKILL ASAP along with camo netting). You can earn small amounts of spotting xp if you're the first to see the enemy along these paths, and a bit better xp if your team mates attack the enemy outside of their view range, but within yours. Resist the urge to fire unless you're obviously spotted. Unless you've got a big gun, the little bit of damage you can do won't make up for the benefit you're giving with spotting.

You can be sneaky. Try to sneak through the lines. Sometimes this means rushing along a non-standard path, sometimes this means hiding in the bushes while the main line of the enemy passes you by. In any case you can do a lot of damage behind the main line of fighting. Start with their arty. Good arty can win a game, but not if they're dead or distracted by a scout circling and firing on them. Look for enemies that have wedged themselves into places that make it hard for them to turn. On city maps I like to slide right up behind enemies that take shelter in the little destroyed building bunkers and just lay shot after shot into their rear end. Especially effective on TDs or tanks without fully traversing turrets. Use hit and run tactics, don't go for straight out kills if you put yourself at excessive risk. Fire a shot, distract people, give them a reason to turn towards you and not have their strongest armor where it should be, at the main line of battle. And, if the opportunity presents itself, don't give up a chance to just push an enemy off a cliff. Doesn't do much for your score, but it's SO satisfying and fun. Besides, there's usually a reason they want to be up high and not at the bottom of the cliff.

The biggest mistake people make, I believe is rushing out. Don't be in a hurry to use your speed and rush ahead of the line of battle. The only exception to this is if you have a VERY good hiding spot picked out and feel like you can get there to wait before the enemy will see you get into position. This is a risky tactic, but can pay off well. Otherwise, wait. Let the battle actually start a bit, see where the enemy is strongest, where your people are strongest, and find the proper place to push through and do whatever it is you intend to do.

There is one final, somewhat non-standard option. And you might get yelled at by your team mates if you do it, but it's still a perfectly legitimate tactic. Defense. At some point, if the enemy has fast tanks, they'll likely try to push through and do some of these same tactics to you. Especially if you have arty. You can simply wait behind the lines, and fight their fire with your own. Light tanks can usually take on each other, at the very least.

There's also a lot to be said for a small reserve force that isn't engaged and can respond quickly to reinforce an area that's doing poorly. That could be you, if you're patient.

Except in the cases you get lucky, push through and find their arty quickly before it can do much damage, you're unlikely to be the deciding factor in any battle if you're a scout among heavies, but that doesn't mean you can't be a lot of help. It's generally a thankless job, but not a useless one. It can be very tedious though, given how little you gain score for yourself, and how much you have to depend on generally uncoordinated and sometimes outright terrible team mates.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 12:52:31 pm by sluissa »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Sluissa summed it up very well, but this is worth repeating: A scout with camo netting, binocular telescope, and camo-skill crew can be one of the most dangerous things in the game if properly supported. There is literally nothing worse than having an entire flank under enemy attack from tanks you can't see because of a spotter you can't see.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

I can confirm that, a friend of mine is crazy good with his ELC and two days ago we were accused of hacking and won a number of games simply by him parking in a bush and letting us whittle away half the enemy team before they realise that something is amiss.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well I'm still at Tier 3, so...not really among heavies yet. I have used the BT-7 to circle even other light tanks, though the speed I lose while turning is a weakness. I don't have money to spend on the game to increase them to 100% proficiency automatically, so Camo Skill hasn't come into play yet. Camo Net is still a bit too expensive for me to get yet...

But still very good advice. Thank you!

Right now I'm mostly using the BT-7 with the 37 mm to take potshots at the enemy while I zip along at 50+ km/hr, and about five tanks are shooting at me. I still die, but it feels good to kill a couple tanks, while the meds and heavier lights and slugging away. Once, I died because they had a BT-7 doing the same thing, and we rammed into each other at high speed. I got the kill, though. :)
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Ah, T1-3 is basically just a mishmash, no real worries about scouting there. And frankly there are some T4 "scouts" that really should have an option to not get scout MM (the 38nA and A-20 come to mind) both for the people who are just grinding through to their T5 mediums and because they don't handle like scouts.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

If you're aiming for the Russian mediums (which are wholly awesome) and don't want to suffer trough the A-20 (which is rather terrible) you might want to wait for the next patch (comes out before the end of the month) which will introduce an alternate light branch leading into the T-34 and they seem to be more gun than speed, something akin to the Chi-Ha or US early tanks.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile

The 38nA can be a perfectly fine scout, but you can't play it like you'd play other scouts to do it because it's not that fast. I've found that it actually works well as a sniper scout because the gun is surprisingly strong. It can actually be a threat to enemy tanks if you can keep it somewhere it won't be an easy target.
Nothing important here, move along.

Julius Clonkus

• Bay Watcher
  • [NIGHTMARE_FETISHIST]
    • View Profile

For anyone seeking to have a lot of fun, I cannot praise a Hetzer with the 10,5cm gun and HE shells enough to do it the justice it deserves.

Especially once the crew is skilled enough, you'll be capable of keeping your simply insane front armor pointed towards a tank, even if they do attempt to circle you. Most people will go for center of mass and fire into your sloped armor, which often lets Tier IV tanks bounce off, save for a very select few. Even Tier V tanks bounce off every now and then.

Should you have to face another Hetzer as a Hetzer, if you can hit the lower front plate, do that, it usually is way more effective than firing at the front - even though hitting the front from an elevated position allows for more damage to be done, too. Sometimes, even shooting the ground beneath the hostile Hetzer does more damage than hitting the tank destroyer itself - but that's in no way a tactic to rely upon.

A suggestion from me: Go out there with a Hetzer and if you have a B1 on the enemy team, prove that Frenchie that your Hetzer is something he cannot kill. A B1's gun will bounce in 95% of all cases, the rest being dumb luck, APCR or a shiot aimed at your tracks. Or the occasional freak artillery shell; if the shell comes in at a low angle, there is still a chance of you living with most of your health intact because it's so fucking difficult to get a decent shot at a Jagdpanzer 38(t) when facing the front.

Personally, I like to have one or two HEAT shells with me simply for the psychological effect of a high tier tank losing half its health to my first shot. It's hilarious to see them scurry away in search of a hiding spot when my 10,5cm gun's thunder echoes across the battlefield.

But enough fangirling over the Hetzer! Have fun!
Holy schist, this thread is mica me sick.
DF Players never truly leave.  They just abandon the fortress for a few years and then reclaim.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I just watched a LP where there were three hetzers. Two on one side, one on the other...and they were the only tier 4 tanks. Even the Arty was higher.

And what's more? One of them got two kills.

I like the Hotchkiss H35 for tier two; the armor's heavy enough that if you angle yourself right, even the 37 mm from the Russian tanks, with 58 penetration, will bounce regularly. Those autocannons that tear most tanks to shreds? They're very good for giving me the cool-headed award.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile

The Hetzer with 105 is ridiculously fun. I've literally just taken potshots at light tanks and destroyed them in one hit, or swiveled around and shot three in a row. It's an extremely powerful gun for its tier, and even using just HE it can put fear into higher-tier tanks' hearts.
Nothing important here, move along.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile

The Hetzer with 105 is ridiculously fun. I've literally just taken potshots at light tanks and destroyed them in one hit, or swiveled around and shot three in a row. It's an extremely powerful gun for its tier, and even using just HE it can put fear into higher-tier tanks' hearts.
The hetzer is the bane among other TDs of similar tier. And everyone else. The hetzer is just plain awesome.

I drive a SU-85.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Have I mentioned lately just how much I'm in love with my amx 13f3? It's a fast, reasonably accurate, and hard hitting arty that brings a smile to my face every time I play it, even in crap matches where my team dies like lemmings, because it can also handily double as a tier 8 TD(in damage at least :LP). One match on Ensk(yeah, Ensk isn't the best arty map, but what can ya do?) I was rushed by a wolvie and two m4s, and managed to TD all 3 because after vaporizing an M4, the other two decided to approach me very cautiously, allowing me to reload(and allowing help to arrive to distract the wolvie)

Also, but whenever I rape a tier 8 of 2/3rds of its health, I'm grinning like a maniac :D
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Bikari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Currently drive a T34, Hummel and StugIII on the US server ( Signed up to play with friends, haven't had a whole lot of time to get the tanks I'm used to >: )
And on the EU, a Lowe, GWTiger, JagdPz E-100, E-50 and the Maus ( Played the german line for many, many months now. )

What I would like however, is someone's opinion on the Russian heavies, I've put down more than I can count as the aggressor but I'd like to know more about them from a driver perspective, especially the obj 261 and the IS line because really I've played the German's to death as evidenced from my tank selection on EU and before I get too heavily involved again I want to know what people think of the other nations.
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 251