Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 251

Author Topic: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!  (Read 211508 times)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Except they don't all play the same  ???

The American Tier 1 is easily the quickest of the lot, but it's gun is back at the rear of the vehicle so that you tend to expose the front of your tank to enemy fire before you can shoot back. The British Tier 1 is a slow piece of crap, but is tall enough to shoot over some obstacles that other tanks can't. I don't remember the French tank very well but my impression was that it wasn't very good. The German tank seems jack-of-all-trades. The Soviet tank is actually pretty good at sniping with the proper cannon, as is the Chinese tank.

Yes they do, just camping the same two spots on the map will average you 5 kills a game. Always use the "normal" gun (machine guns aren't terrible, but the best way to conserve hp is to be able to snipe out of people's view distance - MGs have very short max shell distance), always hide in a bush (Any along the ridge in Province, the little islands to the west in Mines, the tracks/buildings near them on Himmelsdorf, and the rock/buildings next to spawn on Malinovka), and just mow them down!

Just because one moves 10% faster, one has 10 more damage, etc. doesn't mean they play different. Beyond figuring out whether or not you have a machine gun, you should play them nearly identically.

And the Loltraktor is a better sniper than the MS-1! Better aimtime and spots its targets further out, same accuracy :3

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Gotta agree with Rex_Nex on that. The best way to play T1-2 is to sit back in a bush and pick off all the brainless rushers. It helps that most of the maps in low-tier MM are ones with a large no-man's-land between two sets of camping spots. If you're fast enough to make the runs from cover to cover, tanks with autocannons or MGs can be deadly, provided you're lucky/good enough to get in close. And of course if you burn through a full clip of shells against a non-AC tank at close range without killing it, you're probably dead during the reload.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sitting half way up the hill on Himmelsdorf in my M7 Priest. Scout goes the rest of the way up the hill, finds a M5A1 and a T49, promptly gets killed. I fire a wild shot and decide to run. M5A1 hits me hard from behind and follows me down the hill. He follows me just a bit too close and I slam on the brakes and he zooms right by me and I fire a point blank shot into his ass. T49 is still behind me, takes me down to 15hp and I make it around a corner, turn and wait for him to follow. He sees what I'm doing and tries to tease me for a second but I still get him in the side point blank and take him down to... 1hp... my heart sinks... I know I"m dead... I"m just waiting for the ground to rise up and hit me... when suddenly an M8A1 comes out of nowhere behind him and finishes it off. I can't believe what just happened.

Round ends somewhat anticlimactically. I completely fail as arty that round with no long range hits and only one that was semi-close, but we win anyway and I get to feel awesome. Nobody ever expects arty to out maneuver a light.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

Maan, curbstomps suck when you're the one getting stomped :(

I mean, that's true of any multiplayer game, but damn I was just on the receiving end of a brutal one. My light tank on the map with a couple of hills facing each other. I move along one of the hills to a spot overlooking the enemy base, and start taking potshots at enemy tanks coming up to chase me away. Before I know it, I'm getting sniped by enemies that I can't see, but must be on the other hill. I'm ducking behind buildings when I see someone on my team say "worst team ever!" in the chat, but I don't know what his problem is. Then I look at my team's roster: I'm the last one alive and the match is only about five minutes in. The enemy team has only lost maybe three tanks.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It is almost cliche that when your team loses by more than 5 or so, some genius (generally someone who hasn't done anything, maybe taken out one tank) gets it in his head to say "Worst team ever" or "noob team" or some other wickedly brilliant remark.

Best to ignore it, or, as I like to do sometimes, ask them for specific feedback and tips. Usually gets them riled up nicely.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

The best part is that they're usually one of the first to die, often in a stupid manner.

In other news, I've got 51k exp towards my S-51. The KV-2's long-haul grind is surprisingly relaxing, probably because the KV-2 is such a chill tank to play. You spend most of your time loitering behind cover while you reload, after all.  :P

3. Run Resize Enable

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

Did you guys miss the part where my entire team was dead in only a few minutes? :P

Might not have been the worst team ever, but it was easily one of my shortest games.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile

In other news, I've got 51k exp towards my S-51. The KV-2's long-haul grind is surprisingly relaxing, probably because the KV-2 is such a chill tank to play. You spend most of your time loitering behind cover while you reload, after all.  :P

I've learned that KV-2s are nasty fuckers if you support them right. I was playing my PzIV and we had a KV-2 on the team, so I provided backup to it and kept enemies from getting too close until the big lug's derp was loaded and he could finish 'em off. We rolled through the enemy like they were wet paper.
Nothing important here, move along.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm pretty sure Archimedes said something about being able to lift the world if given a big enough derp. In a supporting role, the KV-2 is able to provide major assistance even in tier VIII fights, which is probably what I love the most about it... after its shapely and elegant form.

*COUGH*new avatar*COUGH*

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile

Someone apparently blatantly ripped off world of tanks for one of those shitty facebook games.

Found this vid of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjrjZc5tfRI

Wargaming's lawyers are gonna be having fun.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us

I can't exactly see that video, but I would note that WOT uses publicly available models for some/most? of its tanks.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

They know about that one and since it's apparently Chinese they can't really do much about it (or don't care enough to)

And while some of the models are public the module upgrades, gamemodes and pretty much the whole interface are not. Also certain tanks are made purely by WG (even though they are kinda historical, but we don't have any idea of how they actually looked besides some rough sketches).

Also also, T10 tanks as end game content rewards (read, CW rewards) that can only be obtained in that way are due sometimes this summer it seems. fun times ahead.
AS - IG

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Yeah. A substantial proportion of the tanks are based on models that were never produced or never made it past prototype. That aside, I have to wonder why someone talented enough to make such a good copy wouldn't just, y'know, make his own game.

3. Run Resize Enable

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

Well it is a copy, which means the entire idea part is completely irrelevant and it's just down to mimicking what you need. Kinda like tracing on paper tbh, it might look good but it didn't take much beyond "follow the lines"
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 251