Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 251

Author Topic: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!  (Read 211573 times)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!
« Reply #1875 on: February 26, 2013, 03:07:06 am »

Seriously?

I've played it a bunch on the test servers and enjoyed it immensly but even with premium it was har pressed to earn cash, mostly because the sheels are pricey while being low in damage.

How do you do it?

I guess great accuracy and 3k damage per game helps =D

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
Re: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!
« Reply #1876 on: February 26, 2013, 06:22:11 pm »

Playing my KV-1, first match of the day.

Start off strong, get a critical on an enemy scout, someone else finishes it off.

Move up, line up second shot on another enemy. Computer crashes before I click. Feels bad man.

Eventually restart computer, boot up game, battle's over. We won. No more 2x XP. Feels really bad man.
Nothing important here, move along.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: February 27, 2013, 10:04:30 am »

So I played a couple of matches after two months. The FPS was amazing but the lag and packet loss was horrible. Teams are still mostly the same but I think I've come to terms with that, so playing Hendrix and having a zen approach to the game and the rage it might cause has greatly helped.

So no shits were given and fun times were had.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: February 27, 2013, 12:19:47 pm »

Have I mentioned how comically oversized the DCA 45 looks on the ARL? It's a gun that, by itself, is approximately the same length of the entire tank!

I think the Panthers final gun is longer than the tank itself.

Have you guys seen the Obj 261?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The pic isn't really perfect, but it's at least as long as the tank itself, which is roughly as big as an Obj 212. I believe REAL high tier SPGs are mostly like this (Real = Not French)
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: February 28, 2013, 09:31:35 am »

Gotta love getting JUST short of top gun for your daily double :D
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: February 28, 2013, 09:47:26 am »

Yea, I believe the Object 261 and GW Tiger have two of the most hilariously long cannons of any artillery piece :P

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 09:49:28 am by Rex_Nex »

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: February 28, 2013, 09:52:57 am »

GODDAMN Super Pershings are annoying as hell to shoot at in an IS, since the 122 doesn't really have the accuracy to weakspot it at anything but point blank range(and even then you'd get some stupid misses into the spaced armor), and a smart SP driver probably wouldn't get into point blank range until the final push anyways. 6 direct hits, but only 2 pens and one of those wasn't even on the SP(I had caught a tiger P sideways as he was climbing a hill). That ridiculous spaced front armor eats shells like no tomorrow
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: February 28, 2013, 10:02:14 am »

GODDAMN Super Pershings are annoying as hell to shoot at in an IS, since the 122 doesn't really have the accuracy to weakspot it at anything but point blank range(and even then you'd get some stupid misses into the spaced armor), and a smart SP driver probably wouldn't get into point blank range until the final push anyways. 6 direct hits, but only 2 pens and one of those wasn't even on the SP(I had caught a tiger P sideways as he was climbing a hill). That ridiculous spaced front armor eats shells like no tomorrow

Yeah, they are really hard to kill without decent accuracy. Usually trying for the hatch is still the best bet, but if its at a bit of a range where you're lucky to even hit the turret, load APCR and aim right at the middle of his mantlet, where the gun protrudes. Honestly.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: February 28, 2013, 10:05:06 am »

The turret ring is also a viable target since there's almost no armor there, but honestly, just flank the fucker if you can, it's not a classic medium in the sense that it has almost zero mobility, it might turn quickish but that's not a problem all that much if you can spare a tracking shot. So really, shoot the sides, the front is almost always too much of a gamble, especially if you have long reload times.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: February 28, 2013, 10:36:00 am »

....yeah, at that time flanking wasn't an option since he was backed by 3 or so heavies, so I'd get chewed up in no time trying to get a flank shot on him

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: February 28, 2013, 10:46:13 am »

The IS is a great tank. Just got a Top Gun, Sniper, 1st Class Mastery, 1200 XP. Took out a T29 who didn't know how to properly hull down. Games like that are what it's all about.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: February 28, 2013, 11:29:06 am »

I hear yah. I love my IS, I just wish the gun had a bit better  pen -_-

Hehehe, using premium AP on the AMX 105AM is very fun. Just did about 800 or so total damage to a t29(normally I'd be hard pressed to do over 200 total damage to a tier 7 heavy, and I've had HE shots actually bounce off the turret of the t29)

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: February 28, 2013, 03:41:17 pm »

I've had HE shots actually bounce off the turret of the t29

Yeah, forgot to mention that. As I wrote in a previous post, if your calibre is (if I recall correctly) 3x larger than the armour, it will always calculate as a 90 degree hit.
However, it seems there's also an inverted version of that true, from my experience. HE can and will do no dmg to armour at all or bounce off against heavy armour. I'm not sure about the conditions, but from what I've tried, an M4 Sherman has a small chance to do no damage at all to IS frontally, though I believe that is really small and depends on angling.
It's especially noticeable when you try using, say, a semi-auto low calibre gun with HE (those things that have like 10 HE pen and such), even against 20mm armour you'll prob just bounce.
To be honest, I can't say for sure, and a quick look into Battle Mechanics page on WoT wiki didn't help, but it's probably based on calibre, BUT! I -think- it also considers gun type/penetration or something too (maybe just armour vs calibre though), since arty seems to be far more reliable than heavies with the same gun (same gun like 105 on Priest and Sherman which has same pen, dmg and calibre, for example).

Prolly also tied with how HE does lower damage to highly armoured enemies. (I can confirm this happens, Obj 212 and S-51 do consistently lower dmg against Maus than against, say, a Tiger II. [about 100-200 less damage, but it isn't the 25% damage randomisation, I'm quite sure.])

Dunno, I'll try and get some practice setions with my Sherman against my friend (he has Obj 704 and KV-3, one has more angling, the other more raw armour..) though if someone has a tier 10 heavy (or some other heavy armour) on EU Server, just post your in-game name and we'll try and test that.
Of course, I'd happily like to hear someone else's views/experiences or real knowledge about this.
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: February 28, 2013, 04:12:47 pm »

You're right. Non-penetrating hits take the base damage, cut it in half, then draws a line from the point of impact outwards. It picks the weakest armor that the line touches, then reduces the damage proportional to the amount of armor in that spot.

For example, say you hit a tank with 200mm of armor with a 2000 damage cannon. Just to make it simple, we'll assume that every 1mm of armor will reduce damage by 2. You hit the tank and roll your average 2000 damage, which is then reduced to 1000 since you didn't penetrate. It draws a line from that impact spot and figures that the weakest armor in that area is 200mm. 200mm armor reduces the damage by 2 per 1mm of armor, so you're left with 1000 - (200*2), or 600.

Yaaaay. This really messes up low damage HE shells, such as most high-velocity cannons and the smaller derps, since a large portion of your shots will be completely absorbed.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ah. This also practically means you're better of trying to find a weakspot if you encounter something way out of your league (like scouts against t8 or t10 heavies) and aiming for it with AP. HE is useless against armour, except from derp guns (arty).

Makes me think why the (semi-)automatic and other fast firing guns have HE at all, some of them can't even damage the French tier 2 TD (okay, that's exaggerating, but you get the picture.)

Thanks for the info, wasn't sure how the armour effected HE damage. Now I know why IS-7 takes more damage than Maus from arty.

I love the battle mechanics page on wiki, but sometimes it's overcomplicated, not everyone can understand the maths (and some physics) written on it, which is understandable, since 13 is minimal age and also because not everyone is good at Maths or can see the connection between some stuff.
For advanced players, the real mechanics are great, but for the most part, saying that "if calibre is 3 times larger than the armour you hit, it'll be almost like a perfect hit." is more than enough.
New Thread
Download
Old Thread
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 251