Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 251

Author Topic: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!  (Read 211570 times)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!
« Reply #1800 on: February 21, 2013, 08:16:01 pm »

.......that looks like someone took a t-54 and threw it into a trash compator and squashed it flat. I mean, where do you even AIM to hit that thing where it won't bounce ???
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!
« Reply #1801 on: February 21, 2013, 08:18:14 pm »

.......that looks like someone took a t-54 and threw it into a trash compator and squashed it flat. I mean, where do you even AIM to hit that thing where it won't bounce ???
Looks a bit short to aim at up close, too.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: February 21, 2013, 08:23:51 pm »

The flattest thing alive.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: February 21, 2013, 08:40:11 pm »

Looks like a brilliant target for high-angle artillery, though.

Incidentally, I was just about ready to buy my ELC AMX, and along came this weekend~

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: February 21, 2013, 08:59:51 pm »

I was hoping to see the T21 up for sale myself... oh well.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: February 21, 2013, 10:47:40 pm »

Good chance to buy back my ELC and make some cash with it too, I suppose.

I tried to play a bit today, but apparently I've completely lost my touch with this game. Out of about a dozen games I only won 1, and that was after being top tank, accidentally shooting the #2 tank in the rear, taking about 1/3 off its health, then he turns and shoots me with a HE round, taking out my engine and 2/3 of my health. I get one shot off at the enemy, a good one, but quickly get killed after that. Somehow I lose a ton to compensation even though I took a lot more damage than the person I shot did. So yeah, victory, but at a heavy cost.

Did decently a couple of times with the KV-1, but each time I did well my team sucked and I ended up being left alone, surrounded and soon died.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: February 22, 2013, 12:30:26 am »

Playing the Easy 8 prior to upgrading anything beyond what the M4 had is incredibly depressing. It's like the same tank except with more hitpoints for enemy tanks to nom on, in a tier where its gun stops being awesome and starts being meh. The only good match I've had with it was more because of an idiot enemy Churchill I that failed to notice me as I was literally touching hulls with it, using it as cover while I dueled and killed a Panther.

Granted, using a living enemy heavy as cover against another enemy tank makes up for a lot of crummy matches.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: February 22, 2013, 05:10:26 am »

It'll get better, albeit it's always pretty comparable to a faster M4. They're much alike.

I didn't do the greatest in it, honestly. The whole unarmored/lowpen/lowdamage/large tank combination just didnt do it for me, regardless of what crazy DPS that thing can spit out.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: February 22, 2013, 07:00:18 am »

Urgh, why is it a 5x weekend always seems to turn the playerbase into morons????
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: February 22, 2013, 07:08:42 am »

maybe its because everyone is playing every tank they own, rather than just their  favourites?

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: February 22, 2013, 10:19:11 am »

OK WTF I hit a t-50-2 with the 105 HE on my Pz4(penetration message and everything)......and 0 damage. BULLSHIT ALERT

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: February 22, 2013, 12:42:43 pm »

T-50-2 is evil. I was battling one in my 38nA and I could not hurt it at all.
Nothing important here, move along.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: February 22, 2013, 01:14:24 pm »

I've also been getting bounces and non-pens from HEAT. WHAT THE HELL

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: February 22, 2013, 03:46:10 pm »

Even with 400 pen you could bounce from a T-50-2 or do a 0 dmg pen... Provided your calibre isn't around 150+mm.

According to WG (and I'm 90% sure they messed up their facts), bouncing is based on angle of impact (obviously) and calibre. If calibre is larger than 3x armour, it will always count as a 90 degree impact (0 degrees being parallel to the armour), at 2x it normalizes closer to 90 degrees. Otherwise it normalizes less.

Penetration is based entirely on armour (that's actual armour that the shell passes through) vs penetration value (which is a random number within the range given for the shell(?)).

Spaced armour does these calculations twice, though I believe the shell loses speed and thus penetration.

Then it checks where you hit, modules can soak up damage. Especially tracks. If I hit tracks AND pen, what would normally be a 400 dmg hit with HE will prob become around 130-150 dmg, though the tracks will likely break. AP has a tendency to be unable to do damage to more than one module, but it can damage both a module and the tank or hit both tracks.

Also, HE is a special case, but I'm not sure how it works, I can dig up info if needed, but you can prob find it on WoT wiki.

Anyway, here's what I can say from experience: Gold ammo is only useful against tanks you would normally have zero chance to pen, mostly ones without highly sloped armour. Prem shells give nothing more than penetration, so if you bounced, gold won't help.
The largest difference can be felt with derp guns that can fire AP shells too. A premium shell can do high damage and pen easily with them.

Gold or not, sticking to weakspots on meds and heavies at or above your tier and never shoot under 30 degrees (60 preferred.) Cupola's are no. 1 soft spots on most targets.
And yes, a tier 4 scout won't match a tier 5 scout, there's actually a two-tier difference between 'em (t5 scouts actually count as tier 6 in MM)
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: February 22, 2013, 05:16:41 pm »

I think that there's two pages that I cannot recommend reading enough.

First, http://wiki.worldoftanks.com/Battle_Mechanics - this will explain most advanced mechanics that you need to know to compete in high level play. Knowing how spotting, penetration, HE damage, crew percentage, etc. works is extremely important. Wimopy explained overmatch well, too, so read that.

Secondly, http://wotguru.com/weak-spot-guides/ - it doesn't have every tank, but a lot of the problem tanks are explained. Committing every tank's weakspots to memory can be annoyingly difficult, so the trick isn't to memorize each tank individually, but to memorize which spots are common weakspots on all tanks and then memorize the exceptions.

For a quick list, here are common weakspots on almost all tanks:

Cupola
MG Hub
Lower Glacis
Turret Ring

After that, you want to fire at the flattest armor available. As a rough guide, that works for darn near everything.
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 251