Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 251

Author Topic: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!  (Read 211513 times)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!
« Reply #1635 on: February 02, 2013, 10:01:02 am »

Looking back on it, that KV was probably the most overpowered tank in the entire game. Insane firepower, great armor... sheesh. I mean really, we stripped away almost everything except the 85mm from the KV and its still considered the best tier 5 heavy.

Also, random ramblings:

The BL-10 is a horrible weapon. Sure, 750 damage, scary. But it never, ever hits. I thought going from the ISU to the 704 would alleviate the problem (better acc, aimtime) but it did nothing. It's just so bad. There's this whole "omg bl-10 best wepin in game" thing going on too, so its not like I can trash the weapon and expect anyone to agree with me. It's just bad. I'd take the 12.8cm on the Jagdpanther II/Ferdinand any day. Not only do those weapons do more damage over the course of a match, but they are reliable as heck.

I hate when I'm trying to impress a really good player by playing halfway competently and I end up having streams of bad games. Guh. I'm sorry! I swear I'm not bad :(

The Type 59 is a bunch of bullshit, the KV-1S is overpowered, and the DB needs a serious buff.

Getting into the right clan is so important if clans are your thing. Don't hang around in a clan you're not sure about, find the right group of guys before you feel like you can't leave. This goes for any game or group or whatever.

Warthunder is fun. Wrong topic for this, I know, but it's fun. It mutilates my internet though, so I can only play a few days a month before I go over my bandwidth limit X.X I think WoT streams about 20kbps to keep the game running, Warthunder runs at between 60 and 80kbps. It's a shame, really, because it seems like a really fun thing to get addicted to.

The upgraded turret on the Jumbo >> the stock turret, yet people say the stock turret is better. Do people really value side/rear turret armor values so much that they'd give up HP, RoF, accuracy, turret traverse, and a metric shitton of view range for it? Apparently so. Don't be bad, use the upgraded turret!

Annnd thats enough.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 10:03:28 am by Rex_Nex »

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!
« Reply #1636 on: February 02, 2013, 10:24:53 am »

The upgraded turret on the Jumbo >> the stock turret, yet people say the stock turret is better. Do people really value side/rear turret armor values so much that they'd give up HP, RoF, accuracy, turret traverse, and a metric shitton of view range for it? Apparently so. Don't be bad, use the upgraded turret!

Annnd thats enough.

I was going to agree with you, but then looked again... It's not just the side and rear armor on the turret. The upgraded turret has 76/50/50. The Stock turret has 152 all around. That's a SIGNIFICANT upgrade. And the only real gain (other than the turret traverse, which is significant) is 2 more rounds per minute out of the gun.

Now, I don't remember these numbers being the case last time I played the jumbo, I feel like they've changed them, so if you haven't looked and are still giving people advice based on old experience, check the stats again.

I will agree on the type 59, but that's why they said they stopped selling it. (ignoring the fact that they brought it back once and made an ass load of money off of it.)

The KV-1S might be overpowered, but it honestly is a bit fragile for a heavy tank. It's got a great gun, but it loads slow and plays more like a sluggish medium that's the size of a barn rather than a quick heavy. I NEVER feel like I have to worry about not penning the 1S when I fight against it. That said, with some care you can be successful with it, but it plays NOTHING like the rest of the KV line (Excepting the kv-13 possibly, but that one's actually advertised as a medium tank.)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: February 02, 2013, 10:48:35 am »

You're forgetting that the mantlet is still quite thick, which for some reason isn't listed there :S
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: February 02, 2013, 10:51:13 am »

Yeah, they changed the way they listed the armor, which seems somewhat silly, as now people aren't sure which turret is better. Seems like an oversight.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: February 02, 2013, 11:16:38 am »

Yea, the frontal armor is/has been 76mm on the upgraded turret, but there's another 150mm of armor on the mantlet which covers nearly the entire front. Of course, that's nearly, and yes the stock turret does offer some more protection on the front as well as the sides because the cheeks can be exploited.

However, it's super rare for someone to actually exploit that weakness. Most people can't even tell the turrets apart. I don't see the need to gimp myself in 100% of my matches to improve my survivability in a situation that might occur in 10% of my matches.

I don't really think the KV-1S is that fragile; the actual armor is only 76mm, but it has the KV autobounce hood. That thing will bounce any tank you get put up against. It's not reliable (No one actually aims for the autobounce zone, shots just land there on occasion), but that combined with the good turret armor is enough to put it on even terms with something like the M6.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: February 02, 2013, 11:42:01 am »

Ah, didn't realize that. Okay then, yeah. I'd still claim the stock turret is a valid option to play with, but if you've still essentially got 150mm on the front of the upgraded, I'd go with it myself.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: February 02, 2013, 12:24:45 pm »

I'm sorry but the stock turret is better enough for me to stick with it and the 105. Being a hull down tank the turret armor is KINDA important. The M1A2 just doesn't have enough for me to justify the change. Especially with how well the 105 treats me on the Jumbo. *Cough* Last stand situation where I ended up 1-hitting like 3-4 enemy tanks in a row *Cough* 100 less armour just isn't worth it.

I've used the M1A2 on other tanks, (My T20 is stuck with it for now and my Hellcat just got past the TD version) and I honestly don't like it enough to really stick with it on a tank. Maybe if I piled on like 1.5 million credits worth of equipment onto my jumbo to boost up stuff in regards to Rate of fire but I outright don't buy mountable equipment except in very rare cases. (I'm cheap plus don't make enough credits to justify that shit)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 12:27:56 pm by Rilder »
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: February 02, 2013, 12:34:18 pm »

Do you run HEAT on the 105, or just regular ammo?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: February 02, 2013, 12:46:06 pm »

I'd just like to point out that the KV-1S only becomes a real contender once you've got the long 122mm; even with the 85mm it feels like a large, slow medium. Actually, I think that the best way I've heard it described is as a flanking tank, which isn't too far off the mark. It's not really hefty enough to live long in a brawl with same-tier heavies, even with the top gun, but it's fast enough that you can put yourself into a position to take potshots at the bulk of the enemy force while they concentrate on your own heavyball. Of course with anything less than the long 122mm, playing with the mediums is your only option unless you like constantly pinging shots.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: February 02, 2013, 01:02:11 pm »

Do you run HEAT on the 105, or just regular ammo?

Gold rounds? Wat... Why in the world would I bring a single gold round a tank lower then tier 7?

I Run the Jumbo as a money maker, therefore every match I kinda have to make credits. Gold Rounds kinda disrupt that. Hell even on my IS I only carry a couple gold rounds. (But I've only actually used a gold round on my IS... once..)
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: February 02, 2013, 01:11:33 pm »

I usually carry 1-2 gold rounds on certain of my T5-6 tanks, for absolutely desperate situations. I almost never use them, but if the outcome of a match quite possibly rests on whether or not I pen something, I will.

Q: When you're in a T8 match with a KV-1S using the 85mm, what do you do?

A: Draw an IS-6 into a trap and watch the bugger drown himself! I know it doesn't go on my record, but...

Totally. Fucking. Worth it.
Spoiler: Check the right. (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 01:51:37 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: February 02, 2013, 05:28:59 pm »

...how the heck did you manage that?????
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: February 02, 2013, 05:38:25 pm »

Yeah... taking advantage of stupidity... while not always the best thing for your score, is always hilarious and worth it.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: February 02, 2013, 05:40:46 pm »

I did that once, not provoked by anyone, but just thought that was how you got around that flank. Quite embarrassing.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: February 02, 2013, 05:50:54 pm »

Did that on Malinovka trying to sneak up to the enemy while turret-down.

I actually made it halfway there before I couldn't compensate for the slippage anymore.

At least I never stopped being turret-down.
Nothing important here, move along.
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 251