Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 251

Author Topic: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!  (Read 211445 times)

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!
« Reply #1485 on: January 16, 2013, 01:25:52 pm »

Epic win coupled with an epic fail team. 8 kills, would've gotten 9 if my last shot vs the T29 that killed me hand't bounced. We still lost, of course. I have no idea what the rest of my team was doing, but it certainly wasn't anything useful.

I didn't even know that "Cool Headed" was a thing.

Man, I'm loving the ARL so much I'm gonna keep it even after unlocking and getting the m4 45!
I like my ARL too, although I don't know if I'm planning to keep it. It does certainly have gret pen. I'm not sure how much I like the accuracy though - maybe my gunner's just been hitting the wine too much, but I never seem to hit from any kind of range.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!
« Reply #1486 on: January 16, 2013, 05:34:19 pm »

Well, the dca 45 only has .38 acc(its .36 when you get it on the m4),but that still pretty dang decent. So I have to ask if you got your crew to 100% yet, that does make a diff

Edit: I have the 1s as well(and had the 3 before selling it) so I can say if you just want epic armor bouncing go 3, but I like faster more maneuverable tanks that can really brawl so I went 1s(which I enjoy a lot; that 122 is a monster, if a bit of a credit hog)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 05:36:16 pm by tryrar »
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: January 16, 2013, 06:11:22 pm »

There are far better tanks for solo winning (I mean doing like half of your team's damage).

For tier 6, I would swear by VK3601H. Great armour and firepower and decent mobility at this tier, but don't expect to perform well at sniping.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: January 16, 2013, 06:35:12 pm »

I enjoy my KV-1S for solo play, I've managed around 70% wins so far... it has decent armor, firepower, and mobility. The only real downside is that the 122 can spaz out on you... it isn't as reliable as I'd like.

Still though, amazing tank!

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: January 18, 2013, 04:38:36 am »

It does have around .46 acc, so some stupid misses can be expected with it at medium and long range shots(though I did once hit another 1s in the rear from across the map on highway once!)

Anyways, FINALLY sucked it up and ground out the Churchill from Valentine, and I'm liking it so far(was annoyed I had to get tracks as WELL as turret for better guns tho), currently just go the engine upgrade and am now working on getting best gun(I'm using the second 6-pounder due to the better pen; the first 75 can get some really stupid bounces)
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: January 18, 2013, 09:56:49 am »

I got placed in a TIV-VI match in my pz38t yesterday on Himmelsdorf. I still ended up getting the most kills on our team (3, nothing impressive), just by flanking around the edge of the trainyard instead of blindly rushing the hill or the cap. I'm not even in a gorram clan and I still occasionally feel like whining about pubbies. -_-'

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: January 18, 2013, 12:20:27 pm »

I'd unlocked the KV-1S good gun through the KV-3 before hand, so jumping into the KV-1S was almost nothing but good. It was a bit of a glass cannon not being able to take more than one or two hits on average, and the D-2-5T was a bit light on the pen when paired with upper tiers, but all in all, I had good success with it. Can't argue with the speed of it, it really plays like an extra large medium than a heavy. Another nice thing is that I had good luck ending up at or near the top of the rankings. Really helps when you're confident of doing a lot of damage to almost anything you shoot at.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: January 18, 2013, 12:33:51 pm »

Hmm. I'm about to download the European installer for this. I have a slight feeling that I won't be able to join your guys. Am I right?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: January 18, 2013, 12:42:20 pm »

You won't be able to join the Americans, no. But there's a few of us on the EU server, so it's not all bad.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: January 18, 2013, 12:47:46 pm »

I think I'll just download the American client. My connection is usually good enough anyway. Any tips for a complete newbie?

E: It won't let me register, it says I entered the wrong captcha. But I didn't.

E2: SUCCES! I WAS NOT DEFEATED BY THE CAPTCHA!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 12:58:20 pm by miauw62 »

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: January 18, 2013, 01:11:50 pm »

I think I'll just download the American client. My connection is usually good enough anyway. Any tips for a complete newbie?

E: It won't let me register, it says I entered the wrong captcha. But I didn't.

E2: SUCCES! I WAS NOT DEFEATED BY THE CAPTCHA!

I'm by no means a master of tankery, but here goes.

1. Don't bother buying 75% crew or equipment for TI-III tanks unless you love them so much that you're never going to get rid of them. Their credit and experience costs are low enough that you can usually get to TIV in 4-5 hours of gameplay.

2. Check your tech trees before selling old tanks if they aren't elited (all equipment researched) yet. Tanks in the same lines often share equipment, making it easier to upgrade higher tier tanks.

3. Check your tech trees before trying to climb the TD or SPG ladders. Quite often it is faster to go up a central line and branch into them at a later point.

4. Don't suicide rush. That is, don't just charge in the general direction of the enemy, even if you're a TIV light in a TVIII heavy match; you're more valuable alive and spotting targets.

5. Aim your shots. There's a fairly high degree of penetration modelling, accounting for range, angle of impact, armor density, and so forth. If you can't penetrate the frontal armor of something, try flanking it to put a shot in the side or rear. If you can't hurt it at all with AP, switch to HE shells.

6. The SU-26 (Soviet TIII SPG) is the only arty in the game with a turret. This means that (especially with camo netting) it is much harder to detect when not firing.

7. Moving (either forward/backward or traversing your chassis) and firing make you more visible. Traversing your turret does not.

8. If you've been spotted and don't have solid cover between you and likely positions of enemy arty, relocate. Even if they don't get a shot before losing their spot, they can still easily blindfire at your last known position. I've gotten more than a few kills myself doing that as arty.

Sort of a short, random list, I suppose.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: January 18, 2013, 01:39:00 pm »

Also, if you can't reliably penetrate the armor, aim for things that look like weak points... Vision slots/periscopes are generally pretty good things to try for. Hitting tracks rarely does damage but if you make a tank vulnerable in a good spot, your team mates can get a lot of good shots on them. Top armor, if you can get a position above the enemy, is usually pretty weak as well.

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: January 18, 2013, 01:42:00 pm »

yay for more EU people!

also, since i said about ammo exploding ive noticed it happening to me way more often :<

one other thing i've noticed is that I have a lot more fun and credits if I aim for Confederate medals rather than top gun medals. It can be so annoying to have someone else get a kill you were aiming for, but if you actively try and get confederate, you'll always deal the full damage of a shot and your shots are less likely to be wasted on dead tanks.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: January 18, 2013, 01:44:05 pm »

Play around with all of the nations, but I would say stay away from the French, Chinese, and possibly British at first as you get used to the game. Soviets are always a safe, all around bet with powerful guns. Germans are good snipers usually. Americans have strong turrets and are versatile.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: January 18, 2013, 01:45:16 pm »

Err, I downloaded the American downloader. And it's about 75% trough the updating game files process right now :x

Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 251