Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 251

Author Topic: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!  (Read 211381 times)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!
« Reply #1425 on: November 13, 2012, 06:58:53 am »

Gosh, if WoT had more tank customization options id be in love. Id have a stripped down tank with pretty much no armor, a reasonable turret, and a big gun.

That sounds like the old American Heavy line, before the M103 and T110E5 were added :P

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!
« Reply #1426 on: November 13, 2012, 10:14:09 am »

I'm slightly confused by the StugIII. I seem to just plain get next to no xp with it. Last night, I got 5 kills with it and survived. Nearly 6 if that last shot had taken the enemy down just a few more precent. I only ended up with about 1000 xp. Compared to my M4A6E8, which only managed 3 penning hits and no kills before getting taken out, which got 1200 xp.

(Both of those xp totals were with the daily double xp.)

I love playing the stug though, so i guess it's not a huge problem.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: November 13, 2012, 10:20:19 am »

T5 SU-85 and KV-1 both have a 122mm derp cannon. It's a little more powerful.
the russian 122mm howizer has 10% more alpha. but the m4 he gun has 30% faster reload.
and as i sayed, i only once have seen this gun do no damage. i guess churchill 7 would make for the most armoured foe to be encountered by the m4, but even this tank does not have enough armor to have a chance to block the damage.
realy, even for the tier7 kv-13 / t-43, the slightly weaker russian he gun makes a good choice.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: November 23, 2012, 02:52:10 am »

Test server is out. Chinese bare-bones techtree, new US Heavy line, some British premiums. The T10 Chinese Medium is very good.

Also, as for the new British premiums, they are hilarious. T6 heavy with 1,400 HP... with no armor, and a T7 TD with 228/152/101mm armor... and 150 alpha :) Screenshots of them:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm slightly confused by the StugIII. I seem to just plain get next to no xp with it. Last night, I got 5 kills with it and survived. Nearly 6 if that last shot had taken the enemy down just a few more precent. I only ended up with about 1000 xp. Compared to my M4A6E8, which only managed 3 penning hits and no kills before getting taken out, which got 1200 xp.

(Both of those xp totals were with the daily double xp.)

I love playing the stug though, so i guess it's not a huge problem.

Lots of things go into XP, and I'm not going to pretend to know them all, but the fact you're a TD is a big hindrance to XP. TDs tend to shoot targets other people see, meaning you give half the XP/cred income to them, which is annoying. Also, shooting higher tiers gives you more XP, apparently. Also also, some tanks just plain have a low XP mod, and the StuG might be one of them.

I'm willing to bet your Easy8 got a lot of scouting damage, though. 1200xp (I'm guessing that's 800xp before prem) is a lot.

realy, even for the tier7 kv-13 / t-43, the slightly weaker russian he gun makes a good choice.

If you throw gold rounds, sure. With HE, the 105/122 derp really loses almost all of their value after T6, especially considering you have a pretty badass 85mm option instead. Gold rounds make every derp gun overpowered, though, so there's that option.

Eh the 105 on the Shermans isn't actually that bad, its a good solid gun and in the right circumstances works really well. I still use it on my Jumbo, actually. (Because fuck you if you think I'm gonna nerf my turret armour by a 100 for a m1a2)

Eh, I run the M1A2 and have gotten very good results. The upgraded turret is much better in many circumstances, especially considering the sides/rear of your turret should not be taking hits in the first place. There's a couple thin strips of armor in the front with the upgraded turret, but the near-impervious mantlet covers a good 80% of it. A good way to put it is that I spend a lot more time dishing out damage then taking it, so I'm going to pick whatever is best suited to that.

Once every dozen games or so I might take a hit I might have otherwise bounced with the stock turret, but every single game I'm getting the advantages of the M1A2.

...that's all null and void if you run the 105/HEAT, of course.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 02:54:14 am by Rex_Nex »

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: November 23, 2012, 04:16:22 am »

If you throw gold rounds, sure. With HE, the 105/122 derp really loses almost all of their value after T6, especially considering you have a pretty badass 85mm option instead. Gold rounds make every derp gun overpowered, though, so there's that option.
yeah, heat is overpowered. however, using it against tier7 is not advisable untill its a clear shot into the rear.
even with 150 pen, it will bounce, and heat wont do any damage if the round does not pen.

also, calling the 85mm badass in tier 7? well... whatever.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: November 23, 2012, 02:13:08 pm »

Well compared to the other T7 medium tank guns the 85 is pretty good actually, it doesn't excel in penetration or damage but it has a pretty nice combination of stats that make it quite versatile unlike other guns like the L100 or the 90mm.

Also 150mm of pen is more than adequate for sides of pretty much every t7 tank, the only case I can see it not working is if you're working at extreme ranges where track absorption is a problem, at close ranges it's much easier to aim at the turret sides or other parts of the hull, getting a shot off at the rear with HEAT is a rather big waste of cash and penetration potential since pretty much all T7 and downward tanks have zero rear armor so even regular HE or heck AP if you can pack it can deal some horrific damage.

@ the new Brit TD, that's pretty funny actually, unless it gets some favourable matchmaking that thing will need premium to be really useful, and with that kind of damage that really isn't an option if you want to use it for making money.

Also, how are the new US tanks faring? The official forums paint a pretty bleak picture of wannabe Frenchies that don't have their guns or mobility but also don't have much to speak of in terms of armor or gun depression.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: December 13, 2012, 04:40:43 pm »

Out comes the update!

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: December 23, 2012, 04:55:23 am »

So if you guys haven't seen there's a bunch of stuff going on for the holidays, among others a free T2 light tank will be given out on the 24th, giving you a garage slot and something potentially fun to dick around with. Then there's the half off on tanks up to T5 and a third cheaper T6-7 tanks. Bonus XP events (win one of the medals and you get a bunch of bonus XP) and other stuff.

This of course has drawn in a lot of idiots but I have grown more tolerant of that stuff recently, maybe it's because I usually roll over them with the T-34 X)
AS - IG

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: December 23, 2012, 05:08:32 am »

Just ran my 13645'th battle tonight. I think I'm addicted.

On the plus side, I've been winning around 62% of my battles for the last month or two! Yaaay.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: December 23, 2012, 08:52:06 am »

I have been playing Mechwarriors Online and I am amazed by how transferable the tanking skill learned from World of Tanks are into that game.

Mechwarriors Online control is more sophisticated, imagine driving a multi-turreted tank. However, the same tactics apply. Use cover, engage as wolf pack, recon, etc. Even though I have only been playing for two days, I am already comfortable playing a close range brawler mech that plays like M46 Patton.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: December 23, 2012, 11:31:49 am »

I got myself a TOGII*. I've been playing every game with it, pretending i'm a British naval officer and that the enemy are the damned french trying to cross the channel again. 
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: December 24, 2012, 09:55:56 am »

Played pretty extensively up to tier 6 on a few lines. Based on what I've read online, it starts to get a bit rough for non-premium players at around this point. Anyone able to offer some insight on this? Having trouble gearing up for the grind to get further.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: December 24, 2012, 11:09:06 am »

It's not that the grind gets harder it just gets a bit longer, T7 is still a fairly short amount of time to unlock and scrounge up credits for, T8 is usually less than a month of playing casually. But yeah, T6 is the golden middle where both the money and the XP are pretty good, plus all the tanks are fairly fun in their own right and arty and instagibbing isn't that common like in higher tiers.

That said, is there any particular branch, nation or vehicle you're interested in? I've played most of the tanks at one point so if you have any questions fire away.

Anyways, the Chieftain as T10 seems to be more and more of a fact than a rumor. Someone found in a video they did recently a 3D model of the 183mm FV215b which is most certainly a TD, now the question is will they do the switch like with the T30 or will they simply move the tank without any compensation. Still, the prospect of the Cheiftain is pretty alluring and has made me go down the British Heavy line, short of unlocking the T6 Churchill now, and need a bit of cash to actually get it, but it shouldn't be much of a problem with all the bonuses and stuff these few days.

Also, the free gift tank is very fun, love the RoF on the gun and the general mobility of the thing, might keep it longer than the Tetrarch :D
AS - IG

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: December 24, 2012, 07:36:15 pm »

This is tank-dependent but an average player (48-50% win rate) can make decent amount of credits at Tier 7.

Technically, how a player performs in battle is crucially determined by (based order of importance):
1. Spatial awareness -- Seriously even some high tier tankers with more than 5000 battles lack this. Make sure you keep an eye on the minimap so you know where enemy positions are and the overall picture of the battle (Any flank being unguarded? Is enemy scout going for our SPG?)
2. Map knowledge -- Using cover and terrain to your advantage is necessary to survive longer and therefore deal more damage. Knowing where the typical engagements and bottlenecks are is necessary to perform tactical manouvers.
3. Tank knowledge -- Knowing where to aim at every tank is definitely a good thing but this takes experience and a lot of time to absorb so common sense says hit rear and side whenever possible.

Bear in mind when playing solo, you run the risk of being in a bad team, so never fight alone, take someone with you. :)

For learning purpose, I'd greatly recommend using a tank that has mobility and decent firepower. This way you get to go to different locations on each map and relocate as necessary. Heavy tanks are harder to play because once you commit to a flank, you may be too slow to relocate if you are needed in another flank or you need to fall back from the engagement.I like T20 (skirmisher) and Panther myself (support sniper).
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: December 24, 2012, 07:41:56 pm »

I played this during the closed beta (I think?), when there was daily free gold and no consumables. After the hard wipe that came with its release, I found it too grindy without a premium account and quickly stopped.

Did they ever balance (or better yet remove) the premium ammo and consumables? I can deal with a massive grind, given that I really enjoyed the game when I played it, but it just got way too 'pay to win' for my tastes.
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 251