Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 251

Author Topic: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!  (Read 211385 times)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!
« Reply #1410 on: November 11, 2012, 10:58:48 pm »

There is an odd balance. To me, the most fun tanks are the lower tiers. However, you don't really get to the point where people have an idea of how to play until at least tier 5 and above. Part of this is due to the fact that you just don't spend much time in the low tier tanks.

Ever since I've gotten to tier 5, I've hated every tank I've started playing with a passion... but then slowly learned its quirks, and how to play it effectively. It was BECAUSE of the grind that I started enjoying each tank to it's fullest extent. (or close) I hated the KV-1 at first, but the final battle I played with it was the most fun I'd ever had with a heavy. I hated the M4 to start with, thought it was weak and fragile, but upgrades, and a change in tactics made it my favored tank for a long time. The KV-3 went from super-armored power house in my eyes to glass cannon once I actually got into it. Required some adaptation, but ended up doing decently with it by the end.

Currently grinding a KV-1S and building up credits for my KV-4. I stymie myself though, since I keep buying lower tier tanks to play with, wasting my credits.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!
« Reply #1411 on: November 12, 2012, 04:30:41 am »

I actually hate lower tier tanks. Tier 4 and below are the worst, imho. The view range mechanics are absolutely garbage when everyone has the view range of an ant, then you've got terrible balance, bad teams, and a strict map rotation. Sure, you get to club some baby seals, but it's not like it has near the same feeling as doing it in a tier 8 match.

Tier 6-8 are my favorites. 9/10 I dislike, though. Especially tier 10.

ive done reading how he works. thats why such a 0dam hit is so unlikely.
he shots just dont it a single small spot, but have an explosion. the spaced armor explaination doesnt cut here.

HE does damage in a line (or is it a cone?) and not a sphere. One time I fired a 152mm HE shell from the huge KV derp cannon into a Pershing, but I hit the mantlet which has a ton of armor and it negated every single ounce of damage. Im sure I broke the gun or something, but it was hellishly terrible.

The old HE rules had a more spherical damage radius, but when they nerfed HE they nerfed it hard. Its been buffed since then, but it's not like it used to be.

You really should considering turning on replays. I record all my games. They don't take up that much room, so there's not a huge reason not to, unless you're against having a lot of extra files in your WoT replays folder.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: November 12, 2012, 05:20:16 am »

Aye, HE, if it doesn't pen, gets it's damage cut by half. It then draws a line to the nearest point of entry (view ports, things like that) and subtracts the distance from the total. Whatever damage is left is what you do.

Basically, unless you're using a howitzer, don't use HE.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 05:29:23 am by dogstile »
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: November 12, 2012, 07:35:29 am »

check the stats of the m4 derp gun.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: November 12, 2012, 08:10:23 am »

Its a howitzer alright, but not a very strong one. You were firing HE, correct? Not HEAT?

I don't honestly think we are going to get anywhere, though, without a replay. Do you know if you hit the turret or not? There's a bug if you hit the gun.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: November 12, 2012, 08:29:05 am »

but not a very strong one. 
yep yep. they should mount the 152mm ml-20 on that tier5 vehicle.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: November 12, 2012, 08:30:28 am »

but whatever we differ in our oppinion on the m4 derp gun, the target was a m18.
untill of cause we also differ in our valuation in the m18īs armor and openvehicleness.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: November 12, 2012, 09:21:25 am »

Its not that strong, really.

Like I said, chances are you're wrong and hit something like the cannon or the side of the mantlet, but neither you or I will know it without a replay. Disengaging argument!

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: November 12, 2012, 01:12:40 pm »

but whatever we differ in our oppinion on the m4 derp gun, the target was a m18.
untill of cause we also differ in our valuation in the m18īs armor and openvehicleness.

If you're not going to discuss it without the sarcasm, kindly stop posting about it.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: November 12, 2012, 05:51:49 pm »

Its a howitzer alright, but not a very strong one.

Eh the 105 on the Shermans isn't actually that bad, its a good solid gun and in the right circumstances works really well. I still use it on my Jumbo, actually. (Because fuck you if you think I'm gonna nerf my turret armour by a 100 for a m1a2)
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: November 12, 2012, 08:22:47 pm »

I didn't realise that the jumbo had to nerf itself that much for that change. I like that, I want to see that on more tanks. A variety of options to use that actually have drawbacks and advantages. Right now its "pick tank, grind tracks, grind best gun". Occasionally you'll have to do the turret too and its not part of the same line, but hey, same stuff, different process.

Edit: I did hear rumours of being able to change your chassis though. What i'd like to see is being able to shove an extra tiny 20mm armour plate (adjust width for tank tier and type, obviously) somewhere on your tank, just one. I'd like to see how that'd change up gameplay, with experienced players using it to buff their weaker armour while the lesser experienced ones trying hilarious tactics.

"No dude, you don't get it, if I put it on my rear, it totally makes it as strong as my front" and all that.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 08:24:47 pm by dogstile »

Comp112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: November 12, 2012, 09:19:22 pm »

Gosh, if WoT had more tank customization options id be in love. Id have a stripped down tank with pretty much no armor, a reasonable turret, and a big gun.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: November 12, 2012, 09:57:46 pm »

yeah... sorry being so sarcastic, it was just that i had troubles answering polite.
that gun realy is great, and 400 damage is a lot for a tier5 medim tank.
 though the germans have a gun with same stats on the pz3/4, ussr only gets a simmilar gun with tier6 - but with 33% slower reaload.
in games, that he gun will damage anything the m4 will ever see reliably for 50 - 200 damage. this 0 damage hit on the m18, it realy was the only 0 damage hit i have seen so far with this gun.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: November 13, 2012, 06:29:25 am »

Well, I do think the T5 SU-85 and KV-1 both have a 122mm derp cannon. It's a little more powerful. As far as mediums go, you're right.

The damage is high, but only when you pen. I was more talking about how 50-200 damage isn't all that powerful. Sometimes it doesn't do any damage at all against high armor, too. Although with the MM changes, most of the tanks that can block all the damage (I know a big one that used to do this to the Sherman was the KT) no longer see the Sherman, so that's good.

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: November 13, 2012, 06:44:09 am »

Gosh, if WoT had more tank customization options id be in love. Id have a stripped down tank with pretty much no armor, a reasonable turret, and a big gun.

Get the ELC AMX? Additionally, it's fast and fun as hell.
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 251