Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 251

Author Topic: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!  (Read 210939 times)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh god.

4v1 in my Jumbo Sherman. And these aren't a bunch of shitty tanks against me; we have a Panther (Tier 7), T28 (T8), Wolverine (T5), Hummel (T5). Im a Tier 6. I take them all on and kill them one by one. Its only me and the T28 left. This is a huge, slow TD. I get on its side, and its pretty much GG at that point. He cant move as long as I follow him around, and my derp cannon is taking him down pretty quick.

Then 999 ping. I lag, fly forward, he turns around and shoots me. BIGGEST COCKBLOCK EVER.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So just started playing today and I'm curious about something. I'm using the Valentine right now since its my best tank and I notice that I can't upgrade it. What about its crew? Can I transfer them to different tanks and they'd be just as good as any other crew?

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yep, any tanks purchased with Gold are unupgradable. Which is good; their stock modules are usually as good as a fully upgraded normal tank of the same tier.

Crew can be transfered, but you lose some training in them. More or less, depending on what you put them in. First, you cant put them in a different nation tank. A russian crew only works on russian vehicles. Second, if you put them on a vehicle of a different type (The Valentine is a... light? Medium?) you lose some more training. Lastly, when transfering them, you lose 20% of their training if you do it for free. If you pay for academy lessons (20,000 per crew member), you only lose 10% of their training.

So, as you can see, the higher their skill level before you transfer them, the better deal you get. Try to get them to 95+% skill before taking them out.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 03:46:03 am by Rex_Nex »

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just to add on Rex_Next advice: Valentine is shit. You better off trying to progress through the trees than using it. KV, Pz.IV, and/or Sherman are what starters usually aim for, as short-term goal.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile

Just to add on Rex_Next advice: Valentine is shit. You better off trying to progress through the trees than using it. KV, Pz.IV, and/or Sherman are what starters usually aim for, as short-term goal.
The stock KV's a horrific tank. Slow, with a shitty gun. I prefer the T1 Heavy. For early stuff though, the Marder II's a fun TD, and the SU-26 a good SPG. T-50's pretty fun, with a bit of luck. I managed 3 arty kills (Hummel, GW Panther and SU-14) after dodging past 3 heavies and a medium on Mountain Pass. We still lost, since I spent ~5 minutes killing the SU-14 and they capped. T-34's also a pretty fun tank.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The stock KV's a horrific tank. Slow, with a shitty gun. I prefer the T1 Heavy. For early stuff though, the Marder II's a fun TD, and the SU-26 a good SPG. T-50's pretty fun, with a bit of luck. I managed 3 arty kills (Hummel, GW Panther and SU-14) after dodging past 3 heavies and a medium on Mountain Pass. We still lost, since I spent ~5 minutes killing the SU-14 and they capped. T-34's also a pretty fun tank.
The stock KV is slow and has a shitty gun. The stock T1 Heavy is slow and has a shitty gun. Both lose their stock modules within a few battles. The stock performance of tier 1/2/3/4/5 tanks don't really bother me; why does it matter how shitty my tank is for the first 5-6 times I play it? Its not like I have even learned how to play my tank effectively yet anyways!

Marder II is extremely fun.

SU-26 is a good SPG, but not that fun. SPGs in general are pretty boring.

T-50 is overpowered. Extremely fun.

T-34 is fun, but you have to play like an annoyance. You can only take things out so long as they are distracted.

To add to that list, the T82 (tier 3 american TD) and the M4 Sherman are sooooo fun.

The T82 gets the 105mm cannon at tier 3; the only tank which gets something similarly overpowered is the KV with the 152mm cannon at tier 5. The difference is that the 105mm reloads twice as fast and the T82 is one of the most maneuverable TDs in the game. The problem comes in where you have single-digit armor values.

The M4 Sherman makes the most credits out of any non-premium vehicle in the game, according to the server stats. Use the 105mm on it and you will have a blast!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 06:45:38 am by Rex_Nex »

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

T82+105mm is giggly fun. Especially since you get dropped into quite low-tier games a lot with that TD. So many one shot kills, and it's extra satisfying somehow since it takes a second or two for the shell to arrive.

Reluctant to progress onto the T40, expecting it to be about as much unfun as the hetzer.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

T40 is... meh. It doesn't do as well as the Hetzer does with the 105mm. The Hetzer was fun for that reason; it could hurt anything. The T40 is stick with the M1A1.

The Wolverine is OK. So is the Slugger. The T25 is... OK. The T28 is... OK. And the T95 is OK. The American TD line doesn't have any bad tanks, but no good ones either.

Want to see an overpowered light tank? Look at the XP I got for this game.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile

I'm something like 10 or 20 battles into the KV and I've upgraded my gun to the 76mm, my turret and my engine to the one that doesn't touch your actual acceleration. I kinda like the T40, but prefer the German TDs.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I would say to use the 122mm until the big guns are unlocked. Also, dont use the 2nd turret until you have either the 152 or 107mm cannons; its worse then the stock turret.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Upgraded turret gives you more HP. In case of KV it goes from 560 to 660.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

100hp is not worth halving your turret turn speed and making yourself twice as large of a target.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Turret being bigger is not a problem, since it is well armored, most damage KV gets is to the hull. Sometimes it is even an advantage since you can shoot above higher obstacles etc.
Turning speed can be a problem yeah, but with proper playing it is not that much. Unless you have T-50 next to you in open terrain... :)
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I suppose you could argue that. I guess it depends on how you play the KV. The less shots you take, the less HP matters... I find that since you will be in high tier battles mostly, that 100hp will rarely save you :P.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us

The only 2 guns useful in a higher tier battle don't fit on the small kv turret.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 251