Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 251

Author Topic: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!  (Read 210818 times)

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile

There are clans and clan wars are coming next patch I think? I dunno.

Also Got up to KV, enjoying it, slow and armoured, works good for my style. :P
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile

Yeah, there are clans. Apparently you don't have to be Gold to make one. Is there one up yet or should I make it?
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile

I have a clan based of another forum (Total War Center) So I'm kinda out for that. Heh.
Steam Profile
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us

Guess I'll use this thread instead of mine. Just started playing somehow managed to get a kill in my first battle using a crappy peashooter.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Right started up this afternoon, already up to a Marder II... So who wants to roll around together today???
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So far I am rolling in both a SU-85 (With the SU-100 unlocked) and a T-34-85 (Russian T6 Med)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

I'm still slowly grinding away mostly on t4 tanks, my highest being the PZ4, halfway to the Stug, so that will be fun once i get there :D
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Grinding through the German tanks, 3t TD, 2T Light...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile

Have you guys seen the tech tree revisions? Holy hell it looks different.
Steam Profile

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have. Lots of changes, but a TL;DR description is that the lines are pretty much being doubled. There will be two russian heavy lines, two this, two that.

Up to KV-3, SU-100, T-43, no gold at all.

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm currently (sloooooooowly) grinding my way to a Tiger. I just wanna have that tank in my garage because of its reputation. And the fact that it appears to be a heavily armoured sniper helps too. ;) I do want a KV too at some point and a Hetzer / Stug too.

That said, I do seem to have some troubles with knowing when to actually use High-Explosive rounds instead of Armour-Piercing rounds. The rule of thumb is to use HE when you can't pierce the armour (such as with higher-tier tanks), but I'm having some mixed results. For instance, I have (besides a PKW III Aus. A) a T-46 with the 76mm gun. It has very high damage values, yet slightly lower (proportionally) penetration values. So, I get that using HE is a no-brainer in this case. But in other cases, HE seems to do minimal damage when using it against same-tier tanks.

And while I'm at it: what's a good "money-maker" tank? I hear KV a lot, but the World of Tanks wiki says that the VK 3601 (German Medium Tier VI) is also a good candidate.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 01:25:38 pm by Dohon »
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us

Good money makers are artillery, because they get put into higher tier matches and any hit you get against a higher teir tank is worth proportionally more, plus you are less likely to die and have to repair if your team mounts a reasonable defense.

As a general rule, I always use HE in my 105mm cannons, the bonus damage far outweighs the slight penetration penalty.

For the other guns, I usually go with AP unless facing a heavy tank.

I've recently unlocked my tiger and have found its armor/hp to be overrated, its armor doesn't have a good slope and its guns don't do as much damage as a lot of the other heavies.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Got a link to those? Haven't played since they invited a bunch of retards with the super xp days and can't seem to find them in the newsletters.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm currently (sloooooooowly) grinding my way to a Tiger. I just wanna have that tank in my garage because of its reputation. And the fact that it appears to be a heavily armoured sniper helps too. ;) I do want a KV too at some point and a Hetzer / Stug too.

That said, I do seem to have some troubles with knowing when to actually use High-Explosive rounds instead of Armour-Piercing rounds. The rule of thumb is to use HE when you can't pierce the armour (such as with higher-tier tanks), but I'm having some mixed results. For instance, I have (besides a PKW III Aus. A) a T-46 with the 76mm gun. It has very high damage values, yet slightly lower (proportionally) penetration values. So, I get that using HE is a no-brainer in this case. But in other cases, HE seems to do minimal damage when using it against same-tier tanks.

And while I'm at it: what's a good "money-maker" tank? I hear KV a lot, but the World of Tanks wiki says that the VK 3601 (German Medium Tier VI) is also a good candidate.
HE Rounds are a bit complicated. They do the shown damage if it penetrates, but otherwise it will deal 50% damage. You might already know this, but the penetration parameters for HE rounds are a huge range of numbers. Sometimes it will penetrate against armor it should be penetrating, but usually not.

Some special cases are when the round size is a lot larger then the mm of armor on the enemy tank. If your gun is giant and using HE rounds, and they have relatively pathetic (But still enough to deflect a HE round) armor, your round has a 50% chance of burrowing into the armor and dealing full damage either way. On the other hand, if your using HE rounds against armor that is much, much larger then the round size, even HE rounds will bounce off.

In general, HE rounds should be kept to a minimum unless either your gun is made for HE rounds (Such as the 105mm on the hetz or 152mm on the KV. These are easily spotted by being huge cannons in relation to the tank's tier and having low AP penetration parameters) or there is absolutely no way your going to penetrate.

As for good non-arty cash-making tanks, here are some candidates:

Panzer IV
KV w/107
SU-85 w/107
StuG III
T-34
Easy'8 Sherman
IS-4

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile

Got a link to those? Haven't played since they invited a bunch of retards with the super xp days and can't seem to find them in the newsletters.

Here
Steam Profile
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 251