Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 251

Author Topic: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!  (Read 210619 times)

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Problem with the valentine is it's rated so high it usually ends up in battles with lots of heavy stuff. The thick armor means it can survive longer than most light tanks, but the piddly little cannon can barely hurt anything above tier 1-3.

I had a 7 kill round with the russian AT-1 yesterday, my best so far. Managed to take out a couple of KV-2's with the marder as well. Tank destroyers are definitely agreeing with me.

There are some annoyances though. I haven't really seen any major idiocy in chat, but people's driving skills however... Almost every game there's a pile-up at the start since people just pick a direction and drive, paying absolutely no regard to what's in their path. I had a light tank drive straight into my marder, taking off a third of my HP and my right track. Never been so close to intentionally firing on a friendly. It's like they think they're playing trackmania or something.

I also dislike how "subsystem" damage works. If you track a tank i'd expect it to be immobilized for a while, but pretty much everything is magically repaired within seconds. I had my driver killed, both tracks and the gun taken out, but after 10 seconds I could drive around and shoot again with little noticeable impediment.

Finally, artillery. They're just bad for the game. Laser precision targeting, ight-speed-travelling arcing projectiles and pretty much endless range. Those things were meant for engagements at several km, but since the maps are only 1x1 km they had to take a bit of creative license. I'm OK with that. But they really should give them a severe accuracy penalty when doing indirect fire, as well as much slower projectiles. They seem to be travelling faster than my tank guns even though they should have about half the muzzle velocity.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ida know... I only tried the allied arties, and while the things you describe are true for the tier one stuff... the m37 for instance isnt all that quick in firing or all that precise anymore.

I think its actually quite challenging to get a kill with that.

Yeah I shouted back a bunch of dwarf fortress related stuff then blew you up with an artillery attack. :P
You probably shouted in team chat - and I doublechecked that round, you didnt kill me  :P
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 06:19:51 am by Puck »

Yalishandaw

• Bay Watcher
  • Thanks I could help, bro.
    • View Profile

As someone who's been playing a lot of arty lately, I'd say it's pretty much like sniping, but more difficult.  For every 1 hit ko, there's several glancing shots and dozens of complete misses.  With my Wespe, thats 13-14 seconds minimum between shots, and more like 20-30 to line up a shot that has a chance of hitting.  And if theres buildings or a hill?  Fugeddaboutit.
My avatar is Basil the Minotaur.  Go read Gunnerkrigg Court.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

With my Wespe, thats 13-14 seconds minimum between shots, and more like 20-30 to line up a shot that has a chance of hitting.  And if theres buildings or a hill?  Fugeddaboutit.
This. And if they are just a tad too close, chances are, you will need to turn the whole vehicle and not just the turret in the process, effectively resetting that timer. On the other hand... at times you get a moving target called out, and nothing else on the map. Its out of your firing arc, so you turn to be ready to aim. Aiming will take a lot of time, so you might as well fire one round because you can wait for the reload while the reticle settles. So you lead your shot a bit (at this point the reticle is as big as the whole minimap square) and fire, not hoping for anything. And all of a sudden you get a one shot kill from such a maneuver. This is PURE LUCK, but the tank players, that like to whine about arty, tend to think arty is overpowered, accurate and fast.

Altough, I must say I LOVE the occasional light tank that sneaks up from behind and eats an arty shell to the face, direct fire style. They expect you to die, but then you show em your big shells :D Just kidding, that works 30% of the time, tops, because if you miss the first shot,  or it doesnt kill them, you're done for.

Unless you drive the tier one arty, with its high ROF and amazing accuracy...
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 09:46:56 am by Puck »

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile

I play all three classes and personally find them all challenging in their own ways. People who say artillery is overpowered have obviously never played as artillery because with most weapons it takes 2-4 hits to kill tier fours with most weapons and with the uber-awesome weapons one-shotting stuff is possible but they take 15 seconds to reload. They are by now way laser accurate as it takes 5-6 seconds to get the reticule down to a distance small enough to have a 50% chance of hitting a heavy tank and much longer to get it up to 75%.
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile

I converted a load of gold into credits and went up from Tier 2 to Tier 3 fairly fast. I suddenly find myself getting destroyed within seconds. :/

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I converted a load of gold into credits and went up from Tier 2 to Tier 3 fairly fast. I suddenly find myself getting destroyed within seconds. :/

Just wait till you get to tier 4.

EDIT: Also, might just be me, but arty seems to get a lot less exp than playing other tanks. Might just be because they aren't scouting at all though.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 02:34:42 pm by sluissa »

Android

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

shots on target give best xp, so its probably low rate of fire which lead to low xp for arty.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

shots on target give best xp, so its probably low rate of fire which lead to low xp for arty.

Does this mean I'm better off as a light tank with one of the automatic guns?

I know you don't get xp for non-penetrations though.

Android

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In terms of xp, probably, but it wont be winning you games if you cant break larger tanks

And yes, you do get some xp for non-penetration hits. but it can make a 200xp game out of a 125xp one.

and when i said it was the best way of getting xp, i meant that to mean other than turning other tanks into debris

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile

-found my key-
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 05:25:14 pm by head »
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, the A-20's automatic is actually pretty good against other lights and the smaller arty and TDs, but since the A-20 often gets paired against nothing but medium and heavies, it's rarely useful there. But even the big gun on the A-20 isn't very useful against a heavy. You MIGHT do some damage if you hit rear armor on the right tank, and there's always the chance to track someone.

I've had only a few lucky kills against other lights with the A-20, really the only useful thing i can do is spot for arty, but if I end up in a game with no arty, I'm useless except as a minor distraction.

Statistics wise, I"m getting better xp with the a-20, but I tend to do better from a "killing things" perspective as the bt-7. Of course, my su-18 blows everything else out of the water in that regard. 11 battles, 11 kills, one battle with 4 kills. Whereas on my A-20, I have 88 battles and 10 kills. My bt-7 has 42 battles and 9 kills.

Thendash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World of Tanks: Multiplayer FREE-to-Play Tank Simulation
« Reply #72 on: November 18, 2010, 05:26:00 pm »

You can get a key and a free tank here: http://www.alienwarearena.com/event/wot-beta
Just register and apply, and hey presto you get a key.
There you go head, they still have like 2000 keys left. They give out keys for other games too.
Thendash's Livestream

This game could honestly give out hand jobs for free and people would still bitch.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In terms of xp, probably, but it wont be winning you games if you cant break larger tanks

And yes, you do get some xp for non-penetration hits. but it can make a 200xp game out of a 125xp one.

and when i said it was the best way of getting xp, i meant that to mean other than turning other tanks into debris
You guys sure? If my memory serves me well I spent one round just plinking away on a Tiger II with my arty, without ever killing it, hitting it maybe 4 or 5 times. And I made quite some money (over 10k) and like 500xp that game. Not doubled.

I think it depends on target tier/cost/whatever how much you get. Whether it's damage dealt or number of hits - no clue. But I sure do know I'm NOT getting rich using those guns that fire of 3 rounds in a burst, even if I hit and penetrate a lot.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I just got done with an awesome round in my A-20 with the 37mm auto gun. I got lucky and most of the other tanks were lights as well, with a few light tds and arty thrown in. I had 3 outright kills, almost a 4th before an arty shell came along and stole the kill when he was at 1% health. I made over 700 xp and 12000 credits. I feel a bit better now. But after that I was thrown into 3 consecutive games with almost nothing but heavies and higher tier mediums.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 251