Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 251

Author Topic: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!  (Read 210618 times)

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I actually hate games without artillery when I'm in mah light tank. Even the friggin ingame tips teach you that light tanks are supposed to be the runners/spotters/scouts. In a game with just lights and mediums I feel sort of useless. I want to fulfill a role, not just go pew pew :D

fake edit: I love the camouflage net.

Thendash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I got myself a luchs and got a kill in my first match with it and 4 kills in my second match with it, I am pleased.
Thendash's Livestream

This game could honestly give out hand jobs for free and people would still bitch.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile

I played tons and tons of rounds as lights and arty. I have actually only ever played American light tanks and American Arty.

A few things I learned... Arty is insanely skill based. Knowing when not to take a shot is critical, as is knowing exactly where to aim based on the slope of the land that you are targeting AND that you are on. You also have to be ready to move at the drop of a dime, and therefore have to know both an immediate fallback location AND a bolthole in case anyone was close enough to see the muzzle flash.
Your aiming time can change based on so many factors it's insane. Artillery has a lot of skill involved. I couldn't believe it as I learned it, but as I figured things out, I started racking up lots of kills with artillery.

Another thing I learned is that frontal armor is king and a good, quick scout can ruin a day. If you are in a heavy tank, if you keep your FRONT at an enemy, you can take hits from a lot of lower tier tanks without taking any damage. I've shot 7 shots at the front of a M5 Stuart with my fully upgraded M3 Stuart and it didn't take a scratch. It isn't just the M5 Stuart that can take it though (That's just the one I was most pissed at. It's a damn LIGHT tank!) But just about any tank when I shoot at them from the FRONT can take it. The heavies can take it from the side as well. But even the toughest can't take it in the rear without taking some damage.

Soooo..... Don't expose your sides unless you have to, and don't EVER let something at your rear. If you have a tank ripping at you and you can't turn to keep your rear away from them, then turn to get your rear through their threat zone as quickly as possible. If you are heavy and the enemy is not, consider backing up into a convenient building. You'll lose mobility, but your front armor can sometimes shrug off the enemy better than you'd think.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Yalishandaw

• Bay Watcher
  • Thanks I could help, bro.
    • View Profile

Just got a T57.  I retract what I said earlier.  T57's are BROKEN SO GOOD.  The traverse of a Marder, range to hit most things on a map, quick(for arty) reload, and it's tier 2.  Everyone reading this, go get a T57, we will platoon and pwn.  Seriously, it's only 16k.  Also, any thoughts on the M37?  I like the Wespe, but it looks like the M37 might have better traverse.

Faux edit:  Just looked at the top tier Soviet SPGs.  Brix were shat.
My avatar is Basil the Minotaur.  Go read Gunnerkrigg Court.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

I'm gonna be getting my S-51 soonish so we could do one for teh lulz with you t2 arty guys as my personal bodyguards and meatshields XD
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So getting tired of one hit kills that come from across the map from a NON Alltily Tank...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Blame the game makers. The maps are just 1km x 1km, so the starting positions are pretty much already at the typical engagement range for WW2. "Across the map" tends to be just 6-700 meters which is really quite close. The maps need to get a lot bigger.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I just hate that my Tanks do no damage... I have to be sitting next to them to do damage and normally that kills me...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright, I just found out, stuff across nations is far from "equal". As we already have established, the T57 arty is sorta overpowered. Its fast, accurate and generally all of the reasons people think arty is overpowered. The only downside is, (apart from low armor) you get put in lower tier matches, so low xp and low money gain.

Now I got myself a Bison. Same tier, same class, different nation.

And it plays completely different. The turret can barely move, so you're turning a lot, means VERY low ROF when you actually want to hit stuff. Upside is, you can load non premium HE armor, if you want, and you got more DAKKA in that gun.

I would be grateful if people share their experiences about other "same tier/same class/different nation" stuff.

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile

Yeah, tier 3-4s die really fast because of Hetzer syndrome; tier 1s die really fast as well because they suck. Tier 2 is the best newbie tier and IMO the most fun to play. Tier five is still vulnerable to death from higher tier tanks but they don't suffer from Hetzer syndrome. Tier six is a good tier to play because it doesn't suffer from Hetzer syndrome, is fairly cheap to maintain and has powerful equipment. Above that you don't have to worry about Hetzer syndrome, the only downside is it gets slightly boring.
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm going to teamkill the next leopard who cuts me off causes me to hit them, tracking me and making me lose half my health. Seriously... this is ridiculous.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Where can I get a key without signing up on a site? I want to join but really don't want to make accounts all over the internet. :-\
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile

The idea of a light tank is to run straight through the huge horde of enemy tanks shooting at you right?

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No, the idea of a light tank is to use terrain as your armor and sneak around to their rear to get a good shot at their (hopefully) light armor.

Of course, when one shot tends to kill, it doesn't really matter what you do sometimes, you're just screwed.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 01:24:37 pm by sluissa »

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile

I was afraid of this. It seems I end up behind the other light tanks when I try using a discrete route. Some zippy green dot ends up on the opposite corner of the map revealing several SPGs and TDs.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 251