Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 ... 251

Author Topic: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!  (Read 210638 times)

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!
« Reply #3615 on: January 15, 2015, 07:28:56 pm »

Yeah, too many lights and there aren't any heavier tanks to spot.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!
« Reply #3616 on: January 15, 2015, 07:37:45 pm »

Apparently one mission for heavy tanks requires you to ram someone. Great use of a heavy.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Ant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3617 on: January 16, 2015, 01:34:32 am »

These personal missions are just plain big middle finger to casual players like me.

1. There are some, what, 60 little pieces that can't be done simultaneously (except 1/type). Great.
2. Fucking up the mm. Yesterday had a game where there was 1 HT (T7 Frenchie), 3 SPGs, 5 LTs and rest TDs on green. Reds got 6 HTs, all of them top tier, as well as three 152s. Yay. And that was only time I saw more than 2 heavy per side (usually none), it was kinda 5 LTs all day.
3. Teamwork required as in mandatory. Ookay. Now to get my former platoon pals to fire up WoT again, arrange enough time for 3 ppl, wait for them to get to the same point as I am. Hell no, and I'm not taking random fools like myself into plat.
4. Random Trollers and TKillers have been multiplying. At least 1 out of 3 games someone kills teambuddy within 1 min of start, or at least shoots for module damage in the initial rush for positions. Arg.

Good sides.

1. Prizes are good, although it might be argued that they're just minor tier tweaks for their originators.
2. Overall teamwork seems slightly improved even amongst us pubbers. 1 of 10 games seem to have lemming train problem, opposed to 1 of 7-8 as average. Might be lack of HT pushers too.
3. Missions themselves revolve around tactics and valid game mechanics, and aren't frustrating "kill 1000 tanks, resets each day, get 10 rations", "do 100k spotting damage and 100k damage with T4-6 light tanks without getting spotted and on the move, get 3 big medkits" (exaggeration, yes, but those are really annoying).

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3618 on: February 16, 2015, 07:37:51 pm »

Huh. I'm getting an odd thing with premium - the free event premium expired and then said more time was purchased when I logged in. I've never purchased premium.

Thorus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3619 on: February 20, 2015, 09:30:17 am »

These personal missions are just plain big middle finger to casual players like me.

1. There are some, what, 60 little pieces that can't be done simultaneously (except 1/type). Great.
2. Fucking up the mm. Yesterday had a game where there was 1 HT (T7 Frenchie), 3 SPGs, 5 LTs and rest TDs on green. Reds got 6 HTs, all of them top tier, as well as three 152s. Yay. And that was only time I saw more than 2 heavy per side (usually none), it was kinda 5 LTs all day.
3. Teamwork required as in mandatory. Ookay. Now to get my former platoon pals to fire up WoT again, arrange enough time for 3 ppl, wait for them to get to the same point as I am. Hell no, and I'm not taking random fools like myself into plat.
4. Random Trollers and TKillers have been multiplying. At least 1 out of 3 games someone kills teambuddy within 1 min of start, or at least shoots for module damage in the initial rush for positions. Arg.

*snip

Hey Ant,

to the things you pointed out:

1. If all 15 mission were active, you would probably need 1-3 matches to do more than half of them. So I think having only 1 active at the time is a good thing. You can't rush the missions and have to focus on only one - your current mission.

2. The only thing I observed in terms of MM: "uncommon" tank classes like lights and spg are getting played a lot more than before. Especially light tanks, because I think a lot of players are stuck at LT-15 (4k, 5k, ... assisted dmg).

There are some rare games when the MM decides to give me a full medium team and the enemy gets a heavy team on for example hidden village. Otherwise I haven't noticed anything strange.

3. On which server are you playing? Maybe we can platoon together to get some missions done, I could also invite a clan member or one of my friends.

4. Which tiers are you playing? In the upper tiers (8+) I haven't noticed such a thing. Maybe some players are just frustrated by the personal missions, because there are not enough tanks of class X for them to kill, to complete their mission.
Thorus likes badgers for their conga lines.

Ant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3620 on: February 20, 2015, 10:29:36 am »

@Thorus

Thanks for the offer mate. After I posted that little rant, things actually got little better... TK:ing and random shooters lessened out on old levels, the mm seemed to get little better, or at least such trolly matchups didn't happen anymore- sure still there was Panther + 3 T6 HTs + random T5s vs. IS2 + platoon of hellcats with T5 cohorts... LTs got down to 2-3 as per usual, and no more boring sniper matches in 10+ TD country. Got made them missions to the point where the platooning became mandatory. My friend who was responsible for my induction into this madness lost his Clan (totally, just vanished) and got swamped into world of trials. I'm actually little burnt out on EU servers now- partially because I'm feeling stuck on T6-7 (was close on IS-2s successor tho), so I've played more WT lately rather than WoT. Rather refreshing, although it has it's own flaws... But that's WT thread's thing. Good luck to all tankers :)

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile

Reviving this thread to tell everybody that, even though you cannot buy it anymore, the TOG still lives on.
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's hard for it to not live on considering they were literally giving it away at some point (at leat on EU).
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile

I celebrated my finishing the GOD-AWFUL grind of the DW2 by buying the Honorable Discharge pack. :P
TOG is really really fun, especially in platoons.
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Everyone's going to have their own SU-100Y soon.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Except those of us who already had it.

I expect most of the people who 'earned' it to stop playing it inside of a week because they don't get how it works.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The SU-100Y does work somehow? Huge, unmaneuverable, without a turret...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

It's got that big, derpy naval gun, a good health pool (700 HP? On MY T6 TDs? That's only ~110 less than the T6 Russian heavies!), and surprisingly good armor from the front, as well as a strong engine and a good hull traverse speed.

The gun, specifically: that 130mm with standard AP shells has 196mm of penetration and an average damage roll of 440, as well as a 3.75 shell/minute ROF. The 122mm that the SU-100 gets, at the same tier and as a non-premium vehicle, only has 175mm of penetration, 390 average damage, and 4.69 ROF.

Actually, the SU-100Y's 130mm gun is hands-down the strongest gun any T6 TD gets in terms of combined penetration and alpha damage. The top guns on the ARL V39, Churchil GC, and Nashorn have 7-18mm more average penetration with AP, but half the alpha damage. It doesn't get premium matchmaking, but it doesn't need to -- you can punch the ticket of just about anything you'll encounter; with a half-decent angle it can punch through any spot on any T8 heavy that isn't the turret front of a fully upgraded T32, IS-3, or Chinese heavy. If you're anywhere near top tier, you're going to be one-shotting people left and right.

The armor's not fantastic, but it's not terrible -- 60mm all around, no real weakspots, little good sloping. You've got that KV autobounce plate and your engine deck might as well be too, but that giant flat-walled barn is easy penetration for anything that can beat your armor if they get around you. That said, the gun mantlet is thick, and those 45-degree front cheeks are surprisingly bouncy. If you're caught in a situation where you can't pull back or sidescrape during reloads, just flail your front around.

It's one of the few premiums I've bought, and I don't regret it. It's second only to the KV-2 for mid-tier derpiness.

3. Run Resize Enable

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah the gun it has is awesome... But, notice that I dont have the vehicle myself, besides that it seems to be just helpless. Its so huge it gets spotted easily, seems to have trouble finding and using cover and then theres the whole thing of not having a turret.

I guess the gun alone helps it a lot in hands of a good player. Wouldn't suit my play style; I want to be active through the match and not just defend or snipe.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Play it sort of like a turretless E-100 with weak hull armor. Poke around corners (don't sidescrape, as that'll present your front cheeks at a flat angle) and abuse your gun traverse so that all enemies can shoot at are your gun mantlet and angled front chassis. If you're not top tier, you're a sniper, period (and not a bad one, either, with 0.31 dispersion and 2.9s aim time on a gun that big).

That said, it's a very heavy tank for the tier (64t) but has decent acceleration, so with that universal 60mm armor and decent frontal angling you can play it sort of like a Ferdie in T6 with the additional potential to just charge straight at T4/5 tanks, blast off most of their health, and ram them. You'll not live terribly long like that, but it can be done.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 ... 251