Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 251

Author Topic: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!  (Read 210738 times)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Solution: Don't play artillery.

Its not like the Brits have anything other than the 304 and CQC to offer, anyway.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile

Yeah artillery is just not very fun honestly, at least for me.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah I sold my S-51, artillery just isn't fun for me.

And now that I own a centurion 1 I'm starting to dislike artillery's existence, cause this tank is really bad about getting one shotted by artillery, especially american arty (giant helipad for artillery shells to land on the rear of tank), and I like to play aggressive so artillery is always targeting me.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd be cool with arty if they actually did what they were supposed to do (discourage camping), but honestly? The majority of the time arty smites me it's for the exact opposite reason - I was too forward, playing too aggressively, etc. These are things arty should not be able to counter. Even outside of the bad gameplay arty itself brings to the table (boring, intense RNG dependence and damage variance, frustrating to fight), it also forces bad gameplay into other tanks. No one wants to be the guy that's going to get nuked because he tried to spot something.

I'd very much enjoy it if arty was turned into a consumable for light tanks. This way you'd get arty in those rare situations where you really do need it whilst also getting rid of a host of problems. But that's throwing out a ton of content people pay for and asking for a horde of angry customers. I guess it could never happen.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I can't tell you how many time's I've been nuked by arty in scout tanks. SCOUT tanks, you know, those tiny zippy things that are no real threat to anything, while my teams T29 platoon is going hull down and killing every enemy heavy tank and being generally invincible to everything except arty, that scout tank pinned behind a rock by 2 tank destroyers is obviously the highest priority.

And yeah arty IMO enforces camping instead of counters it, since arty will only shoot things that are spotted, players who try to be aggressive (and get spotted) become targets. Also arty players when given the choice are going to shoot whatever is nearest them since, duh, they don't want to die to the advancing enemy.

There is much rant to be had and I'm sure its all been said before so whatever, WG doesn't know what to do with arty by the looks of it.

Hell, camping counters itself half the time since it ruins your teams concentration of firepower when half of the tanks are forward and half are sitting in bush 100m out of spawn.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 09:42:29 pm by darkrider2 »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

And with a particularly bad match I've sold the Crusader SP. When you have six fully aimed shot at tanks that are not moving, and all six go wide, and then you get killed by the first shot from enemy arty you know something is wrong.

Fuck that shit, I'm back to regular tanks which shoot where I tell them, not wherever the hell they feel like shooting.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Looks like El Halluf is getting another rework next patch. More hills and rocks in the north to brawl in.

Has anyone noticed every single map edit has been for brawls? There's only a couple vision control maps left in the game, the rest are just face to face.

Chosrau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah I noticed that too. They always say the wanna do stuff to make light tanks more viable, but every map change in the last half year was actually detrimental for light tank/scouting gameplay.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

I think it's part due to them trying to tone down the overbearing presence of TD's. They might deny it 'till they die but they know full well that the current meta of bushwanking is killing the game.

Another problem I see is that there isn't really any inbetween right now. You're either brawling face to face with someone or you're taking potshots at them from halfway across the map. Medium range engagements are very rare and last a very short amount of time, because the enemy either forces you to brawl or you simply get sniped by their second line of tanks.
AS - IG

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I dunno, I feel like camping has been out of the meta for a while now. The only reason you still see it is the waffen line basically forcing it onto people that don't want to implode horribly.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

It's not just them though. While the T10 TD's have been nerfed they are still very scary. Losing a third of your hp in a single shot is something most players can't really deal with.

Now, there are usually ways around it, but your average pubbie is so focused on the terror that's staring at him from across the field that they really don't consider their options properly.

Seriously, if those countless lemming trains just changed course (heck, even half the lemming train could do that) every time they ran into a wall of death so many games could've been turned around.
AS - IG

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

T10 TDs are also the ones that've been getting screwed for a long time, though. I agree that they punch really hard and pubbies are afraid to get hit, but camping isn't usually the result. You only see it on a select couple maps. Its all just "drive forward, click bad guys, go back to garage" now.

I would of totally agreed with you if we were back in 8.10 or something, but the days of constant erlenburg/highway/malinovka/redshire camps are long behind us. Ever since redshire and erlenburg have dropped off the camping radar, my drawrate has hit an all-time low. Its just brawling, brawling, brawling alldayallnight. Camping isnt even possible on 2/3 of the maps, its just constant cities.

Chosrau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

To be honest, getting threeshotted isn't something limited to T10. In T6 and T7 KV-1S/IS provide that. Later on the the russian high-Alpha TDs do it. And thats against tanks of the same tier. If you met higher tier tanks it's pretty normal to not be able to take more then 3 shots from heavies or TDs.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

True, but that's usually one to two tanks per tier. At T10 pretty much every nation has atleast one, if not more.

Also the extreme camping maps only stopped being camping maps because WG introduced big and obvious funnels to which all the idiots flock, or in case of Erlenberg made them more accessible to both teams. Now, the idiots know where there will be fighting and safe cover so they all go there, whereas before they were paralysed by the open ground and exposed approaches that required either numbers or actual thinking to traverse. So instead of taking a chance they opted to sit on their asses and wait for the other team to do that for them.

Also also, T-54 at its finest. Shame the rest of the team was shit and that AMX wasn't empty as I thought.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 05:14:07 pm by Jopax »
AS - IG

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also the extreme camping maps only stopped being camping maps because WG introduced big and obvious funnels to which all the idiots flock, or in case of Erlenberg made them more accessible to both teams. Now, the idiots know where there will be fighting and safe cover so they all go there, whereas before they were paralysed by the open ground and exposed approaches that required either numbers or actual thinking to traverse. So instead of taking a chance they opted to sit on their asses and wait for the other team to do that for them.

And then the other team did that for them got spotted by the camping idiots through the bushes and decimated after the first few salvos.
Because really if i'm presented with an option to pick hard cover, soft cover (bushes) or no cover (the field on malinovka) i'll always take hard cover over the other two and soft cover over an open death field.
The boblsleight tracks are just perfect for heavy tanks to duke it out without artillery or TDs 390 meters away behind a bush oneshotting them... most of the time anyway.
Why? Because brawling is more fun than being shot at by a undetected romulan TD or sitting in a bush for 10 minutes because noone is stupid enough to try traversing the deathfield unless he's in a T95 ot AT-2 as top tier.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 251