Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 251

Author Topic: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!  (Read 210775 times)

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile

Some people probably enjoy the one out of ten games where their solo charge works a hell of a lot more than sitting in yet another camp fest where everybody sits in a bush until almost everything is dead.

Also. Charges tend to work amazingly well when your team is smart enough to see what you're doing and support it. Good luck getting that to happen frequently though. Too many people ignore chat or even have it turned off to even bother trying though.

Next time you see someone charging, you might want to poke your head out and provide them some cover. You might get surprised by the results.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 11:47:53 pm by Kaitol »

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Most people have no idea when to push and when to camp.

I was playing crappy F9 td-sniping map as a KV-2.  A T29 or something and I moved toward the south chokepoint (we didn't have a TD platoon to camp f9).  He pushes forward a bit, sees 3 heavies (none with derps), and decided to push into them, rather than let them come to us.  KV-2 derp is pretty inadequate when it comes to slugfests; it depends heavily on surprise or peekaboo. There was basically no way we could push into that line of heavies.  Bad time to push.  Camp, let them expose their fronts.  I'm running derp, I don't care that I'm shooting their armor at a 70 degree angle.  I'll do ~300 damage a hit no matter what, provided I hit, which is not sure if I have to move backward and forward constantly at mid-range.

Conversely, even when a team isn't "lol let's camp spawn", you'll find that they often come to screeching halt the instant there might be an opportunity to shoot something.  I'm starting to think that half the disruption of a suicide scout is that heavies and fixed-gun td's stop to shoot at it.  I've played games where seeing a single heavy tank causes an entire blob of 8 or 9 tanks to completely stop in the middle of their movement; hello, you've just given the enemy your flank at no cost.   If you're engaged in a movement, you need to complete it or abort it in a sensible way; stopping in the middle of the road with no cover after being spotted will get you murdered by arty when they are present.  Often, if you're caught in the open as a heavy, you're going to have to push through fire to get to safety.  Of course, you need to consider the flanks of your alternate cover.  What tends to happen is that you'll charge past your lines into new cover and end up giving someone on the other side of the map LoS.

So many people playing WoT are incredibly passive that aggressive play is very, very disruptive and can be successful at times.  If the opponent has well equipped and trained TD's, you're pretty fucked by aggressive play, though.  If you're in a medium and run into a competent heavy blob, you're screwed.  If your team is campy, you're screwed.  If your team can't aim, you're TK'd.

I think a big reason things are so campy is that it's so goddamn hard to see TD's and, duh, they have high-pen guns.  It seems like the only option much of the time is to flank them using terrain obstacles.  I'm looking forward to the td camo nerf, if it isn't obvious.  I'm tired of being shot by un-spotted TD's, despite being behind brush myself and not moving.  It's sort of amusing that, once spotted, staying stationary means people can continue to shoot you after they lose vision; however, if you move to stop that, they might gain vision of you again.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There have been many times where I've been staring directly at a TD, landing successful shots on it, he stops, and while shooting me in return, becomes completely invisible.

The camo abuse in WoT is out of control right now.

One time on lives oaks I saw 9 tanks on my team go south, so I figured, we gotta rush if we're gonna take the game with this flank. The minute I spotted the first tank on that flank, they all stopped dead, went to cover positions and started playing peek-a-boo tanks, we lost obviously.

And while we're speaking about the genius decisions of players: if you're in artillery I better not see you waste a 1800+ damage shell on a scout, playing my 59-16, this was so common its absurd. Given the choice between a scout and a heavy tank the decision of what to shoot should just be obvious. But I've had many artillery shoot me simply because I was first spotted (as a scout usually is) and obsess over getting me behind that rock or even getting me on the move instead of shooting heavy tanks.

EDIT: I've stated before that I consider myself a successful scout if the enemy team focuses me instead of the useful tanks on my team.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 06:30:41 am by darkrider2 »

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Isn't the main way that you're supposed to kill TDs flanking? On their own, they have bad spotting range, and they don't have a turret.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

That usually isn't possible, mainly because of the tiny maps, lack of cover or the simple fact that they'll rarely be alone.

Also most arty tends to focus scouts because they're the biggest threat to them, or the only threat for the most part, since people don't really bother with CB fire most of the time.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Isn't the main way that you're supposed to kill TDs flanking? On their own, they have bad spotting range, and they don't have a turret.

Except for when they DO have turrets and have fantastic view range. Like the hellcat, T49, wolverine, jackson, Rhm B WT, etc.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Except for when they DO have turrets and have fantastic view range. Like the hellcat, T49, wolverine, jackson, Rhm B WT, etc.
All of those have absurdly bad armor.

But i agree TDs are just absurd.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

so? you pen, they pen.
they pen harder.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

so? you pen, they pen.
they pen harder.
Along with not being spotted back and dealing more alpha damage than the average heavy tank.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

so? you pen, they pen.
they pen harder.
Along with not being spotted back and dealing more alpha damage than the average heavy tank.
Armor doesn't matter when you can't be seen to be shot.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile

To be fair the last few patches have pretty much all included nerfs to TD camo one way or another.

Also, get in the habit of popping an HE round or two into the really popular TD spots. One good HE shell will ruin most of the stealthier TD's.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Blind-firing HE into hiding spots isn't a counter and, even if you choose the right hiding spot, some of the deadliest TDs are both low and small.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

jackson stronk

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile

Playing a TD and camping in a bush in the vain hope that they push that flank in a way you can invisi-gank them?  Screw that.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(Seriously I am way more aggressive in my TDs than I really should be)
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

Some are made for that tbh, others not so much.

Heck, when I drive my brit TD's I usually double tap R and don't stop until the game is over or I'm dead. It usually works quite well, especially if you're top tier. Similarly the SU-101 doesn't work as a long range sniper, despite the awesome camo, the gun just doesn't cut it, so you need to be very proactive and create opportunities instead of waiting for them to come to you.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 251