Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 251

Author Topic: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!  (Read 210928 times)

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile

I just recently had an insane thought. There were amphibious tanks right? I remember reading that the Americans had a bunch of them for storming Normandy on D-day. They also all foundered because the seas were too rough, but still. They were a thing that worked well enough to pass trials right? How did they work? Could they ever be implemented in-game? Would they? It might be neat. Of course if the Americans were the only ones every crazy enough to try it it might be unfair if they were the only ones who got them, but I'm sure the devs could whip up some crazy sketches from the back of a German engineering interns's sketchbook and turn it into an in-game tank.

Ant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sure, there were plenty even passable amphibious tanks. Americans and Brits had Sherman DD, but I think it couldn't effectively swim and fire it's main gun due to massive flotation screen. Germans fixed some Pz IIIs with eye for landing on GB soil, was then used to cross Sov rivers when the landings were cancelled. Soviets had lots of tankette-grade amphibious tanks and some light tanks that were used a-plenty, although their effectiveness was questionable. Japanese also fielded many different types, just as junk as one would think but gave more efficient support than Soviet counterparts since beaches + tanks = !FUN! usually. These come top of my mind, as far as I know after WW2 the amphibious landings have been specialized/IFV/APC duties.

That said, in WoT the amphibious tanks would be unfeasible or unbearably inaccurate versus their real counterparts, as any normal tank could wreck a swimmer in no time. They weren't known for their speed in water, and manouverability was crappy too. Try wading couple of seconds in deep water and double the loss of manouverability.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Truth be told swimmers weren't too fast or well armored... well they just weren't that hot you see.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OT-62_TOPAS

The only good looking Amphibious tank i can think off would be this... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PT-76 and it was made in the late 50's meaning that historically it should be fighting tier 8-10 tanks but has performance of a tier 4.
Of course you could pump its mobility to over the roof levels and have it as a unique tier 7 soviet scout tank
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile

Well, some things could be handwaved for the sake of gameplay. So long as their addition was fun and not broken people aren't going to complain too loudly. They'd pretty much all function as scouts with the added benefit of being able to cross terrain other tanks can't for flanks and sneaking behind lines and I don't see that being too broken. Only problem I see is could the game engine even handle it? From what I know world of tanks is basically twisting past what it was intended for as it is.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

There isn't that much water in any of the maps tho. You'd be able to what, drive down the river in Erlenberg, cross the lake on Malinovka, river in Windstorm and that's it I think, unless you count Cliff but that's a one way trip so not really.

And yeah, these tanks were more boats than tanks so they would be low tier tanks with no mobility, shitty armour and weak guns. Not really fun.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile

Pretty sure there's tons more maps with water than those three. In fact, theres probably fewer maps without some water, aside from the urban maps and that one desert map. Hell, I think even the desert maps have water, although very little on one of them.

But yeah, they would definitely have to be buffed from their historical stats through upgrades or something.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 04:41:10 pm by Kaitol »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

Yes, many maps have water, but it's either in a corner or shallow enough that all tanks can ford it. So there would be no advantage in taking an amphibious tank to those parts since they'd be using the tracks anyways.
AS - IG

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile

I could -kinda- see a LVT(A)-4 being added as a low tier tank but I don't really see how it could fit in anywhere on the tree.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Habbadax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cackling Cavalier
    • View Profile

The only map I can think of where an amphibious tank would really shine is Fjords, and only as far as arty hunting

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ahahaha, the April Fool's Day game mode is awesome.

Habbadax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cackling Cavalier
    • View Profile

It really is, it's kinda hugely disappointing that it'll be gone in a few days

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I kinda hope they leave it as it does not really have any impact on the actual game and serves as a nice minigame... altho i wouldn't advice using it as a way to vent frustartion.

Oh and BTW does anyone knows where i can find hitskins for the Karl? I want to set one on fire but for the life of me can't find the fuel tank.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile

Karl is glorious, Karl is life, Karl is the future.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile

Karl mode is...Beautiful!
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

So I was EXTREMELY bored and slightly annoyed by the game the other day and I decided that a change of pace would be in order, so I bought the Valentine to get the Bishop.

I sold it after three days and free xp-d the 17k that was needed because I couldn't take another t6 match where I couldn't do anything and would get oneshot by the first thing that saw me.

Then I suffered with the Bishop, the first gun is really really really really shitty, 6 damage on a KV-1 hit is all I'm going to say.

But then I got the second gun.

Holy shit, this is suddenly one of the most fun tanks I've driven, and it's arty for fucks sake!!!

Can't wait for the FV tbh, it has everything the Bishop does, but also the mobility of a scout :D
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 251