Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 251

Author Topic: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!  (Read 210915 times)

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

so, today after a while i thought - hey, what about a round of wot!
so i started the game, but sure enough there was an update in between, so all these mods wheren working.
i copied the skins into the new resmod folder - easy enough - and started to google for a modpackage.

after some 8 minutes however, i realized that wot can totally lick my balls.
im so sick of spending 2 hours after every hour to get the game working again. but was wg.net is retarded enough to allow mods in a competive game, im virtually forced to annoy myself with this bullshit after every update, because if i dont, everyone else will have big advantages over me.

and it doesnt help that the company is so very unclear about witch mods are allowed and with arent. apparently they now banned one guy that made a quite successful modpackage that even had a very active post on the public forums.

i think i realy had it this time. strange. i always thought premium ammo finally would annoy me enough to stop this game.

Chosrau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Forced to? Everyone having big advantages if you don't? Most people don't use mods, and even if they were, they wouldn't be able to use the information they provide to a good effect. If they aren't even looking at their minimap, mods would do nothing for them.

And considering that modpackage ban. I think I know about which person this is and he used a mod that showed a ping on the minimap whenever environment was destroyed (fence, tree knocked over. ect.) which is clearly illegal.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile

True enough, Only mod I use is Gnomefather's sound mod and I do fine (At least I think I do)
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

Yeah, the only mods that give you an outright and clear advantage are illegal, shit like hitskins, map pings, laser pointers and all that. I use Aslains XVM modpack with a bunch of useful stuff. Aside from knowing who to watch out for I get a nice damage panel that lists all my damage dealt, a clearer ping when I get spotted. There's also the damage taken panel, which is slightly illegal because it shows who shot you even if they aren't spotted, but I find it mostly useful to tell wether or not somebody is shooting gold at me. Then there's the better tank list in the garage, session tracker, ingame clock and pretty much anything you could find useful.

Also 9.0 is due soon, that should bring some much needed variety with Historical battles and the sexy new HD models.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Last time i checked hitskins were A OK altho tree/bush removers laser pointers ETC were still a nono.
Oh this reminds me i have to install clown skins again.

Also had one of my worst games ever... but only partially due to my own fault.
Started a match and at that very moment a truck arrived to unload.
I managed to get back with sore arms 9 minutes later (my tank being obviously standing still the entire match) for a 1 on 1 duel as a stock tiger 2 against a T32 (or that other amerikkun heavy.)
Needless it went BADLY and was acompanied with raging teammates.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 02:55:49 pm by Sonlirain »
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, the only mods that give you an outright and clear advantage are illegal
higher zoom qualifies as outright and clear advantage. so does white wrecks, 2D hitbox skins, less fog and smoke, being able to tell witch of my targets most likely is a thread and witch is a noob, etc etc.
in short: about every mod gives a clear and outright advantage.
so yeah. noone forces me to use mods the same noone forces me to play the game. however, if i play wot, its stupid to do so without mods.

and tbh: that banning storry, just learned about it after i decided to stop with wot for good.
but i guess if i had read about it before, i never had bothered to even start the update to 8.11
banning first on the base of unclear rules, and then make the rules slightly less unclear is just so totally stupid. i bet for every player they banned there, 10 others left.

Chosrau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No modifications shall be created which, according to Wargaming.net, bring undesirable changes to the gameplay of Wargaming.net Games. The list includes, but is not limited to:
5.1. Transparent textures on game objects penetrated by game armament.
5.2. Replacement of game models with collision models.
5.3. Explicit highlighting of game objects that may seem dangerous as non-hazardous (e.g., white
textures on destroyed tanks).
5.4. Any changes to auto-aim (e.g., leading targets, automatic targeting of vulnerable areas).
5.5. Fixing for the player the position of the other players that are not visible by the rules of the game
visibility (locking the position of the player that disappeared from sight on map by tracer flares, display of the name of an enemy player that inflicted a non-critical hit remaining out of sight, etc.).
5.6. Fixing the destruction of destructible objects on the minimap.
5.7. Camera which is not attached to the position of a player, a “free” camera, able to move in three
dimensions, and the use of artillery mode for other types of vehicles.
5.8. Using keyboard macros in game situations (e.g., automation of work of “manual fire
extinguisher”, except for an automatic shot from a reloaded weapon).
5.9. Indication of an aiming point of other players which is different from its visual representation
based on the position of a standard, unmodified 3D vehicle model operated by the player.
5.10. Full or partial automation sending a vehicle to battle, its operating and firing (use of bots)

and as you can see most of the stuff you listed is forbidden.

The problem is that they can't check wether someone is using banned mods. That guy only got banned because he streamed with those mods on.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile

To be fair the banning wasn't permanent it was like a 7 day ban, they accidentally made it a permanent ban but corrected their mistake. Either way, if you aren't taking enjoyment from the game then yes you should quit.  The sole point of games are enjoyment/entertainment after all, don't need to make a big deal of it.

Last time i checked hitskins were A OK
It wasn't the hitskins so much as a mod that made the entire tank somewhat transparent and showed the inner positioning of modules/crew.

In other news I'm 70k XP away from my first tier 10, holy shit I might actually get there this century.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 04:53:27 pm by Rilder »
Steam Profile
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Habbadax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cackling Cavalier
    • View Profile

Am I just looking at it from really unflattering angles or is the Tiger 2 really as fat as it looks

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Tiger 2 is fat. Also, badly armored. But hey, dat long 105.

9.0 looks really good. The updated render/textures/models are really nice looking and the game still runs smoothly. Historical battles are a nice change of pace and it's looking like they'll be quite popular.

There are a few mods that give pretty sizeable advantages. XVM's minimap and 24x zoom are powerful tools, but installing both of these takes just a couple minutes. Everything else you mentioned either doesn't actually help/is a placebo or helps so little that its hard to complain about someone using them.

Also none of them are banned, chosrau. At least on my server. It's a bit odd that they use "white textures on destroyed tanks" as an example of a banned mod... but then openly endorse it and say its not banned.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 11:38:53 am by Rex_Nex »

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I always have a chuckle when someone sayd the tiger 2 ah good frontal armor. the front of the turret us unangled and any tier 8 tank can penetrate it without a sweat (assuming it won't hit the mantlet) and you can't really angle it because the sides are made out of aluminium foil and pretty much depend on you starting directly at the shooter to bounce anything.

I even had a funny situation where i hid my lower glacis behind a wrecked ELC only to get shot and penned in the upper clacis... better yet that shot also damaged the engine and caused a fire.

Thank god E75 is a drastic improvement in... well everything aside of the accuracy of the top gun.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 12:59:38 pm by Sonlirain »
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

Gotta learn to dance the wiggle in that case. It's not as reliable as angling, but moving about makes it very hard for anyone to hit the turret front properly and not get the mantlet or the very edge that are autobounce.

But yeah, as far as tanks go, E-75 is the tankest tank in the game honestly. It's decently mobile, rather heavy (RAMMING HO!), exceptionally well armoured (especially if you know how to angle and bait and wiggle (bouncing T10 TD shells without any problems)) and has enough firepower to terrify, cripple and then murder anything it comes up against.

Easily one of my favourite tanks in the game.

The first 100k of xp to get it elited is a bitch tho since you're a glorified Tiger 2 that's a tier higher.
AS - IG

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile

I don't mind the Tiger II, the armour is kinda lacking, but its mainly about keeping the lower front plate protected, it at least feels like a tier 8 heavy and can force project reasonably well,and that long 105 is rather nice.

Speaking of tier 8 I managed to get the AMX 50 100 unlocked and bought, so far though my opinion of it has been largely negative, the autoloader seems good on paper but it feels like it just has a hell of a time actually getting it into a position where it can actually be utilized effectively.  Then again it -is- the first tank I've played with a big boy autoloader, I think the closest before hand I've used before is the shitty Chinese 76mm autoloader.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 04:48:34 pm by Rilder »
Steam Profile

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

Your role with that tank is that of a vulture. You're extremely mobile for a heavy tank, use that to get to positions where you can do good. You also use it to exploit any opening that might get you into an unexpected spot. Engage only targets that you can either clip, someone else can help you finish or targets which are otherwise occupied. You are mobile, don't be afraid to run away or reluctant to relocate if you feel the flank isn't going to shift anytime soon and your firepower could be better used elsewhere.

And that's pretty much it as far as the autoloader philosophy goes (atleast the French one, the 'murricans have it a bit differently). Be a bastard, always try to fight on your own terms and try not to take unneccessary shots because your HP is all you have really.

Also reload whenever you think you have a spare minute, always having a full clip is incredibly useful, especially if someone has been counting your shots and thinks you're going to end up two short.
AS - IG

Chosrau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

An AMX 50 100 is best played passively at the beginning of the game. Pick another heavy tank and play suppport for him. Nobody will try rushing a heavy to flank him if they know you are there to punish them for it. Always try to track your target with the first shot as that makes it way easier to connect with your other shells.

Try to conserve your HP as much as you can. Autoloaders get much stronger in the endgame. And before you go in to unload, always think about how you will get out again. Too many people don't manage more then one clip per game because they play too aggressively at the start.
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 251