Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 251

Author Topic: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!  (Read 211321 times)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile

T-50s tend to be all kinds of bullshit against lower tier tanks, since they're sort-of balanced to be able to survive high-tier matches.

As for getting bounced, I'd normally say 'sometimes shit happens' but I'm wondering just what you were aiming for. The Marder's good gun can penetrate the front of a T18, so you either had terrible luck or you were shooting things you should not have been trying to shoot.
Nothing important here, move along.

Chosrau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Marder II got nerfed hard in the last patches, it is nothing of the beast it once was anymore. Those videos you watched we're probably of the pre-nerf Marder II.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Ah, did it? I hadn't heard. That sucks, then, it was a fun little thing.

Speaking of grind, finally (FINALLY!) got the top gun for my T29. Now it's just point and click for everything. :3

I also have to wonder why so many people use the 8.8cm with the VK 36.01H when the Konisch is objectively (ha, I said it!) a better gun, and allows you to use the much better stock turret to boot. Seriously, you're going to drop 16 deg/sec of turret traverse speed so you can use a gun with worse pen, a slower reload, and worse accuracy?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile

But the derp!
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

The 8.8cm isn't even a derp, except in the classical sense. It's a underpowered version of the Tiger's top cannon; the damage with HE is only 50 (avg) higher than with AP.

3. Run Resize Enable

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Shhhh... those 36.01's are hard enough to deal with without giving them more tips.

Seriously though, I agree. I like the konisch enough that it's my choice gun for the grind. If the hull traverse was a bit better, I might consider switching the turret over so i could use the 8.8, but with the slow turning it's already got, taking the speed out of the turret seems like a recipe for bad situations.

It helps that there's basically nothing it's MM'd against that can't be penned with the konisch, and even when you come up against some tough front armor, it's usually accurate enough to give you a decent shot at the weak points.

Ant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Wise, no. Fun, yes. Can only imagine the frustration of that C3 driver :)

He did get me in the end, but I'd already derped his partner (the Stug in pic) and delayed him from getting into main fray at our flag.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Never thought to switch back to the first turret on the 36.01 H with the Konnisch. Do you find the traverse speed makes up for the lower hit points?

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you're not bouncing shots off the front hull of the 3601, you're as good as dead anyway. a few more hitpoints won't help that much.

It may play like a heavy, but it is a medium and is fragile as a medium should be if you get past that front armor.

EDIT: Besides, with the konisch, you should generally have more range on the enemy than with the 8.8. It's significantly more accurate. If you play it right, you'll be less on the front lines, brawling it out and taking damage and more zooming around between cover and sniping.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 09:22:04 am by sluissa »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Infinitely so. The 36.01 is pretty fragile as it is; losing the traverse speed isn't worth the extra HP IMO, especially because you don't gain any view range or armor. It's much more important to be able to track a wider range of targets, especially when the HP/traverse speed are the only differences apart from weight. Actually, there's another point in favor of the stock turret: it's 800kg lighter. I'm not sure if that's enough to amount to a noteworthy difference in specific power, but it can't hurt.

Basically, the 36.01 has pretty bad speed, acceleration, and hull traverse speed. It's already better in a sniping role, and the turret traverse speed helps with that. The tank is poorly armored for its tier and riddled with weak points and vertical planes, and as such really isn't going to be a good brawler regardless of what you do. Oh, and the Konisch has better average DPM, better accuracy, and higher penetration than the 8.8cm. I honestly can't think of a single situation where I'd rather have the 8.8cm. The only reason I'm going to bother unlocking it is because the Tiger uses it. :-X

3. Run Resize Enable

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think the second turret has a massive extra lip of armor around the gun not listed in its stats, that'll bounce some crazy shiz most of the time. Its gun depression and height of the main frame don't lend it to much use, though, and the two turrets seem to be sloped the same. I would say it depends on how you play it... I've been using the second turret, because I've just been sitting back most of the time in weird spots with binocs and camo, but I have noticed its horrible dθ several times.

Is it better played aggressively? I've kept it a sniper before the engine upgrades, but now that I have the final one it does at least outpace the heavies.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

I'm on the second engine and I still use it as a sniper. Granted, it can make for a good flanker, but only if you're certain that there's nobody around to intercept you.

3. Run Resize Enable

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Even if there is extra armor on the front of the larger turret, the depression on the thing is so bad it makes it hard to get into any good hull down positions.

Also, just because I made the same mistake before I checked, don't mistake the Großturm on the 3601 and the Schmalturm on the Panther. The Schmalturm does have impressive frontal turret armor.

As with many tanks, but incredibly so with this one, it's all about positioning. The front armor of the 3601, if angled correctly can bounce an impressive amount of shots off of it. But you've got to keep the lower glacis covered and make sure you keep your side exposure minimal. You'll have a hard time finding areas that let you do all of this at once, so excepting those rare situations, it is best to play it back from a distance where people can't aim at your weak points and you can use your decent acceleration to dodge in and out of cover.

Ant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My my.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Fjords. Drifted a little watching True Grit and missed first 3 minutes of battle. Decided to hang back as saw our north pass being breached by a T14, killed him and then took position behind some cover, as all others got decimated piecemeal by enemy. Ambushed first comer, others were soon behind. Frenchie T5 heavy manages to outmanouver and rear shot me, but is too weak and unsupported by the KV and T40 in my front. BDR dies, KV dies, T40 waits for 100% hetz to take position and misjudges teammates gun arc, rushing to his death. Hetz comes about facing me, I wait for kill shot and let loose at the lower glacis- pene and hetz's shot goes wide, and then he dies after 5-6 shots missing second shot, also. Last kill's an AFK nA, which his teammate graciously divulges so that no-one has to wait. Sportsmanship, that is, if I ever see such.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Some people threaten to report when another teammate reveals an AFKer. It's hard to know when you should or shouldn't but it is the polite thing to do, even if a spiteful enemy might disagree. Still, most of the time you could just cap. Only time it would really change the outcome of a battle is the last minute or two and you haven't started capping yet in some gametypes.

I personally never reveal. I've probably got more than a few naughty points racked up, so I'll not take my chances with anymore.
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 251