Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 251

Author Topic: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!  (Read 211372 times)

Ant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Damn the BT-7 is fun. Yeah, it gets blown away by good sneeze, but the speed and manouverability for T3-5! Last match I went through Himmelsdorf castle hill unnopposed, met enemy at the south ramp, took out a TD on the way and sped past return fire from the remaining column. Then to the center, where meds pounded away. Rammed a MedIII to the rear for a kill, and took some potshots at yankee medium at the fray while frantically backing away at 34hp. Rest of the match I just ran around like a lunatic, almost getting killed in the trainyard by nA and some other but luckily bouncing couple shots. Team got rest of the kills, but I'm content. But sure as hell BT has no guns against matilda, couldn't get a pen even through rear. Tips at that?

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And in MY experience running an AT-2, not a whole hell of a lot of people do that(or are close enough to really accurately and CONSISTENTLY hit the cupola!). I've mostly died when they finally got support to flank me, or decided to flank me themselves. Any other time, chances are good they only track me or keep bouncing off my front. It's like they're thinking "Oh come on, THIS shot will pen! It's not like the last 10 didn't bounce for a reason, just bad luck!"
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Damn the BT-7 is fun. Yeah, it gets blown away by good sneeze, but the speed and manouverability for T3-5! Last match I went through Himmelsdorf castle hill unnopposed, met enemy at the south ramp, took out a TD on the way and sped past return fire from the remaining column. Then to the center, where meds pounded away. Rammed a MedIII to the rear for a kill, and took some potshots at yankee medium at the fray while frantically backing away at 34hp. Rest of the match I just ran around like a lunatic, almost getting killed in the trainyard by nA and some other but luckily bouncing couple shots. Team got rest of the kills, but I'm content. But sure as hell BT has no guns against matilda, couldn't get a pen even through rear. Tips at that?

For tips on fighting a matilda in a bt-7...find another target :P.

Seriously though, you have the speed to get away if you can't pen a target no matter what, so don't stick around if you won't do squat
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile

And in MY experience running an AT-2, not a whole hell of a lot of people do that(or are close enough to really accurately and CONSISTENTLY hit the cupola!). I've mostly died when they finally got support to flank me, or decided to flank me themselves. Any other time, chances are good they only track me or keep bouncing off my front. It's like they're thinking "Oh come on, THIS shot will pen! It's not like the last 10 didn't bounce for a reason, just bad luck!"
I hate fighting AT-2s in my SU-85. From the front, it's almost impossible for me to pen them, and I try to aim... Dang, that armor.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

I honestly don't have much trouble consistently hitting the cupola out to about 150-200 meters away. I mean, if I had a derp or a really crappy gun, then maybe, but as long as I'm taking my time it's not too difficult.

Re: fighting a Matilda in a light that'll get matched against it: Don't.

Seriously, the thing is basically a slightly mobile block of armor. With a great sniping gun. I loved it up until the speed finally drove me crazy. I suppose there's a reason why half of my favorite tanks are lights.  :P

I hate fighting AT-2s in my SU-85. From the front, it's almost impossible for me to pen them, and I try to aim... Dang, that armor.
Did you not read either of our posts? Commander's cupola. It's right up on top, visible from any direction, and lets the shots right in. That aside, if you can't pen something, can't hit weak points, and don't have a teammate to go for a distract-flank with, just move on. There's zero reason to trade shots with something you can't hurt unless you're pulling a stalling action while teammates cap or arty escapes.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Did you not read either of our posts? Commander's cupola. It's right up on top, visible from any direction, and lets the shots right in. That aside, if you can't pen something, can't hit weak points, and don't have a teammate to go for a distract-flank with, just move on. There's zero reason to trade shots with something you can't hurt unless you're pulling a stalling action while teammates cap or arty escapes.
Well, you see, I didn't know this. And I do try to avoid engaging them. It just doesn't always work too well.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The AT-2 definitely is a tough nut to crack. The frontal armor is various shades of 200mm, while the back, sides, cupola, and mantlet are all 100mm.

As a SU-85, your typical engagement with the AT-2 should be to first check his gun - with the 57mm, you don't want to get in a DPM contest. Yours is good, but not that good, and just trading blows with someone that has more HP and the same DPM isn't going to end well. With the derp gun, his DPM becomes almost pathetic. Just trade shots, but don't let him hit your sides or back unless you like being popped.

After that, yes, cupola. If for some reason the cupola isn't working out, shoot armor around the cannon. If that isn't working out, shoot the flattest armor you can with APCR. If that doesn't work out... well, it wasn't meant to be.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 03:56:27 am by Rex_Nex »

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, from what I've learned the cupola is STILL 100mm thick, so if you don't have a good pen gun, it just won't work. Still the best, easiest weakspot to hit tho

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Holy shit. Those are the only words I have.
2 Autocannon armed light tanks and a single TD were on a hill.
All firing at me. My track was thrown out, so everything they threw at me prevented my repair. I bounced everything they threw at me. Even two SPG's were firing.
I love this Matilda.
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

All firing at me. My track was thrown out, so everything they threw at me prevented my repair. I bounced everything they threw at me. Even two SPG's were firing.
I love this Matilda.

Well, you should have (eventually) wiped them out with your great penning gun. How many kills did u get that game?

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I love this Matilda.

Well, you should have (eventually) wiped them out with your great penning gun. How many kills did u get that game?
2. I got wiped out by a KV-1.
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Ah, the only natural predator of the British Land-Whale.

3. Run Resize Enable

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

Yes, the Soviet land whaler as it is known to the English, or to everyone else as "DEATH OF ALL THINGS TANK!"

Makes me smile when I remember how much they nerfed it when they split it into two tanks, and it still remains one of the most powerful tanks in the game.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Thing is, if you can penetrate the flat part of the glacis plate, it isn't even that sturdy, especially if you aim for one of the ten million weak points clustered there. In a KV-1 vs. KV-1 fight I can usually win inside of five shots without going below half health because regardless of what you're aimed at on it, there's plenty to penetrate if you have a good (for the tier) gun. The two things that really make the post-nerf KV-1 worth playing are the top gun (ye gods, that gun) and the autobounce part of your glacis.

Well, that and the fact that you'll run 10k profit if you get killed without firing a single shell.  :P

3. Run Resize Enable

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, that and the fact that you'll run 10k profit if you get killed without firing a single shell.  :P
I love Tier 5 for that.
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 251