Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 251

Author Topic: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!  (Read 211464 times)

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile

The T1's ok, but not as good as the KV-1. M6 is ass until you unlock the 90mm, then it's ok, and the T29's awesome.

T1 benefits from having a corner to sit on, allowing you to angle your front armour without exposing your huge and paper-thin sides.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

That's pretty much the nutshell reason for me entering the U.S. heavy line via the Sherman Jumbo. The T29 (and the one after it) have obscene turret armor alongside a pretty nasty glacis plate with a single weak point. I'd concur that the T29 is probably the best T7 heavy. The only times I manage to kill them in my IS is when the player is a moron and gives me shots at the side of his hull.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, I'll agree, I HATE having to take on pretty much any US heavy above the M6. (Even the M6 gives me pause if I can't get a decent angle on its side or back, but most players don't use the terrain well.)

Ant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So. I've started this last week or so, been grinding german TD and, for some reason, french arty on EU servers. 4nt is the nick, take a shot if you see me :)

Must say, even though I was sceptic about WoT beforehand, I still enjoy this more than any other MFPS around. Probably as it combines playability with at least semi-realistic mechanics... It's little like younger brother of Iron Warriors (Love it!).

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Great to see you're liking it Ant! =)

The T1 Heavy is okay, I like it more than the KV-1 because the KV-1 isn't nearly as flexible, but to each their own. Also, it weighs a hellish amount, has great acceleration, and good frontal armor. You know what that means? RAMMING SPEEEEED :D

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

Anyone else here play the soviet TD line? I'm on the SU85 right now and am curious how much of a grind I have ahead of me, in respect to the tanks ahead.

Also, is the T1 heavy worth anything, followed by the rest of the line? I kind of forget what american tanks have in their favor.

The rest of the line is pretty nice, they have mostly good mobility and are easily hidden with some awesome guns. The SU-100 has the very sweet 100mm (it's better than the 122mm in everything but per-shot damage), the SU-152 has access to the highest DPM gun in the game with it's last 122mm gun which can decimate any tank of its tier in a short amount of time, provided you know where to aim and aren't too far away from the target since the gun isn't incredibly accurate. ISU is the same deal, except it gets the godlike BL-10 turning it into one of the scariest things for its tier, 704 is more of the same except better armoured and with a slightly better RoF. 286 is pretty fun since it has decent armour and mobility while packing a quick firing and accurate gun.

The alternate line play a bit like the Jpz4 in that they have some nice slopes, excellent mobility but are somewhat lacking in the penetration department. Nonetheless they're pretty sweet tanks if you can come to terms that you're not your regular point and shoot for damage TD but that you need to have a more active role in the game. The SU-122-54 is especially fun once you get the top 122 gun which turns it into an amazingly mobile sniper platform that can stay hidden and make short work of most targets. 263 is also nice, except a tier higher and slightly less mobile, also it's a convertible so be wary of arty, the gun tho is a pretty awesome beast, packing one of the best RoF's out of T10 which makes it somewhat similar to the SU-152, if you can keep someone in your sights for a certain amount of time they'll most likely die. Also it has one of the best armour layouts out there since it's just thick enough and just sloped enough to make most guns autobounce.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

That was a bizarre game. I (somehow) completely shut down one flank by hiding in a corner that forced them to show their sides to me if they wanted to be able to shoot me, and which put them in the sights of all my teammates on that side of the map. Something like 800 damage from me spread between their IS-8 and Conqueror. o.0

I also annoyed a T49 driver by killing him in a duel with my Pz I C.  :P

3. Run Resize Enable

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I started playing a few days ago and started bee-lining towards the Russian T-34 on principle of it being a T-34. Only later did I realize that the Chinese apparently have the same tank but better in every way imaginable in the same tier. What's up with that? Why would you use the Russian one over the Chinese one? Is there something I'm missing?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Obviously there's the aspect of it that the Chinese line is relatively recent. Also note, though, that the T-34 is about 80k credits cheaper, feeds directly into the TD line as well as the medium line, and eventually feeds into the IS line. The T-34 also has very slightly better top speed and s.p. It also has the 76mm gun as an alternative to the 57mm (though admittedly the T-34's top 57mm is relatively rubbish). I honestly wouldn't call either one better than the other; they're more or less the same tank with minor differences. It's not even as pronounced as the M5A1/M5 differences, IMO.

3. Run Resize Enable

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

Yeah, the only way the Type 34 is better is that it's stock setup is somewhat competitive and useful, unlike the T-34 which starts out shit and gets better later on.

Same deal for the IS/IS-2 where the Chinese one is pretty much the same, even a bit inferior in some regards when fully upgraded, but out of the box the Chinese one blows it out of the water.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They're nearly the same, T-34 is a bit faster (a bit more 'passability too), Type has a better turret. Hull, gun (same RoF), are the same.
The top gun 57mm (Zis-4 on T-34) is very good. It has really good RoF (1 shot every 2 second with a 100% crew), good penetration for his tier, and decent damage. You need that gun to play T-34 or Type T-34. The 76 has nothing on it (twice as slow RoF, lower pen, only 20 damage more, less accurate and longer aim).

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks for clearing that up, it did seem that the T-34 had a few more upgrade options... I did read that you needed the ZIS-4 to actually play it properly... I also just saw that after the Russian tank's turret is upgraded it actually has similar armor values so there's that I missed. What was throwing me off about the rate of fire was the stock Type T-34 has a faster firing gun to the T-34's stock one.

Somebody suggested I get both tanks, and when one blows up I hop out into the other one, and just swap back and forth between the two. Hehehe.

With that out of the way, I'm wondering what line I should go down next after getting the T-34. The T-34 is the only tank I know that I absolutely must have (again, on principle of it being a T-34) and I'm trying to decide what other nation's tech tree I should start down next... (My friend wants to start getting American tank destroyers cause they have turrets, hehehe)

EDIT: Somebody sent me these links which helped, comparing stuff in-game is a bit of a hassle. T-34 - Type T-34
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 04:21:09 pm by OzyTheSage »

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Depends, what kind of tanks do you like playing? We need a little more for us to recommend a line....
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's the thing, I'm not entirely sure what I like playing yet. I'm just going to have to play around for a bit once I get that tank...

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Fair enough. If you want something noob-friendly, keep on the Russian tree and go down the heavy line. The KV-1 is ALWAYS a good idea. No exceptions!
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 251