Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 251

Author Topic: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!  (Read 211493 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Not exactly, unless he had access to all of WG's intellectual property. I doubt that every bit of the WoT code is open source. Granted, the pattern is already well established that Chinese culture places value on as-perfect-as-possible replication even to the detriment of originality, so this is hardly a unique incident. Still doesn't mean that it doesn't take some measure of ability to copy something this well without having every scrap of the original material open to your eyes; it really doesn't stand up to a comparison with, say, tracing something through thin paper. This is more akin to doing an excellent freehand copy of an existing drawing.

Incidentally, if anyone was for some bizarre reason considering letting WG sell their personal information for a shot at 10k gold... just don't.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

The only thing that would be complicated I think is getting down the netcode and perhaps the shell physics, the rest of it seems pretty straightforward.

Anyways, some neat possible changes for next patch like three man platoons for non-premium users, gold consumables for credits and other neat stuff that isn't pure tank filler.

Also, just got my second T10, the M48A1, it's rather shit now since it needs the top gun to be useful and it doesn't help that I've been mauled by T10 TD's and arty in every match, have yet to survive one :C
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As someone who seen MMO emulation software (MaNGOS in my case) i must say this guy did a titanic job if he really was alone.
Seriously a bunch of open source coders worked on mangos for YEARS before they got anywhere near providing a ilusion of actually playing WoW (i remember the early years where almost nothing worked).

And now this guy comes in and makes a carbon copy of WoT... i wonder if (and how) he managed to remake the shell penetration system in his game.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm not even sure if there is a complex shell penetration system. From the videos it just looks like armor is more damage reduction than anything and every shell does SOME damage unless the damage is reduced completely, with some randomness thrown in there to keep it from being too boring and obvious. But I saw no ricochets, I saw no bounces, I saw armor angle have no identifiable effect on damage or hit chance.

For all it's faults, I tend to like Wargaming as a company and I feel like they produce enjoyable, although not perfect, products. I'll continue patronizing them for the foreseeable future. That... along with my absolute hatred for anything facebook.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

My very first match with the Sherman Jumbo resulted in a Steel Wall. xD

3. Run Resize Enable

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

I came very close to rageselling my Patton just now.

So, we're on Mines, mostly T10 tanks, a couple of T9's the token scout and five T7/8 arties. Before the match starts our IS-7 says we have a 30% win chance. Ok, that could mean nothing after all. Oh how wrong I was.

Basically our scout rushes trough the middle and spots a few tanks before blowing up like a firecracker. One arty is killed in the process. Cool, not a bad start, untill I notice every single one of our tanks heading for the town execpt the T62A who went for the hill. This leavs the river open to attack so I go there to cover that area while also pointing out to the team just what the hell they are doing.

Naturally my cries and insults fall on deaf ears, shortly afterwards our T62A is owerwhelmed by a few E100's and I notice that their AMX13/90 will probably try and go for our arty now. So I fall back to the base and notice him rushing from the hill, seeing as I'm not the fastest of the tanks he manages to light up all our arties before I kill him.

Then they call me the noob for not going hill. They say it's my fault the hill fell and it's my fault the arties got spotted.

MOTHERFUCKING DICKBAG PANTS ON HEAD RETARDED LITTLE LEMMINGS SAY IT IS MY FUCKING FAULT THEY IGNORED MY ADVICE AT THE START!!!!!
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 07:40:46 pm by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

Chosrau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I just found some nice synergy between the british AT-7 TD and the german Jagdpanther II TD. It seems the gun on the Jagdpanther II is mounted high enough that you are able to shoot above an AT-7 right in front of you, while he is bigh enough to cover your entire front hull, leaving to them no choice but to fire at the better sloped, upper part of your tank. We held back a Super Pershing, a T32 and two T29 for about 2~3 minutes, until we were flanked by some other tanks of the enemy team, who had broken trough the frontline somewhere else. In the end we had had a combined potential damage recieved of ~8000.

I really wish that Moon Map would be real. Lowered Gravity? I can already see my ELC AMX jumping from some cliff and propelling himself into space by firing his gun.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

My T-50 could probably do barrel rolls.

3. Run Resize Enable

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile

I could see some of the bigger guns launching some of the smaller tanks into orbit. Imagine one of the Tier 1s getting hit by the KV-2's derpgun.
Nothing important here, move along.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile

I've actually been curious what would happen if a tank ended up flipped but didn't hit anything hard enough to explode from it. Would it explode anyway, or would it just be stuck there, unable to move? And would it still be able to shoot?

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've actually been curious what would happen if a tank ended up flipped but didn't hit anything hard enough to explode from it. Would it explode anyway, or would it just be stuck there, unable to move? And would it still be able to shoot?

It isn't possible, actually. If it were, they'd probably make it lose hp like when a tank lands on another and stays there.

And yeah, the Moon map would be fun, if not for else, then a training map to learn how physics can effect stuff in the game (in a very sized-up manner, but it would still help learning) and how to lead a tank because of the slower shell flying. It would be a really nice experience...
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile

It shouldn't affect the velocity of the shell at all. Same propellant, presumably at least a similar mass of reaction resistance. The only difference is how quickly the shell would drop.

Of course, having 'simulated' rounds with less propellant, designed to simulate the ballistic trajectory of the shell on the lower gravity, would certainly move slower...

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, I got my M5 Stuart the Howitzer.
My lord. This thing went from "meh" to " Incredible" with a single upgrade. It tears through light tanks like a chainsaw where the blades are chainsaws.
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 251