Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 251

Author Topic: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!  (Read 210668 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

Why do people thing they are invincible if they are going really fast, if the arty is good or you are moving towards him he can easily lead you and shoot the crap out of you.And the shell speed didn't really weaken arty a lot, people got used to it real fast, only thing that is changed is that after firing an SPG has more time to relocate before CB fire reaches him.And arty is going to get a big nerf with the next patch, HE will only be able to damage modules if it hits the tank, if it misses it does direct damage and knocks out crew.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

invincible? not really, especially in a straight line.

zig zagging and still getting hit right perfect that sucks.

im doing a quick run up to the S-51 arty so i can have the same fun i used to have with the bison back long ago, but while killing super heavies though.

Arty is bs, I remember having my little bison and having it bring in more money than my PZ4 would because i could just ping stuff all day long and get kills. Hummel or S-51 are what im going for currently. probably get both.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 12:38:11 am by Journier »
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am wondering what tanks you are getting after the softwipe?

StuG III and JadgPanther have earned permanent spots in my garage. Leopard is out, I hate scouting. Also not getting any SPGs, I don't enjoy playing them (nor getting killed by one). Having a dilemma on what other tanks I should get. I only have 275k XP points so I gotta choose wisely.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

You could always try the Soviet TD's with their paper thin armour and their giant sticks of pain and doom :)
That said, the softwipe was postponed for an unspecified amount of time, all we know is that it won't happen this year
AS - IG

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ISU-152 can be 2-3 shotted by a T-28 with 85mm and up or maybe KV and up frontally, but it can nearly 1 shot the whole KV - IS line up with its big 152mm upgraded gun.

that thing is insane.

Id reccomend the following

Offensive player- if you are like me and rush at every chance across the map in a hail of bullets incoming at you while trying to kill a single tank before they take you down, these are for you ^_^.

t-34 (fast, dies easy but the 57mm is amazing sometimes! you can penetrate the front armor of tiger tanks, and take potshots from 300 meters at the sides and still penetrate them, That is so fun, not much dmg but hey it fires fast :) )

sherman (105mm death machine with HE, generally get off 1-2 shots before your toast but with the HE you deal a considerable amount of dmg even against the highest tier tanks.)

IS (you get decent angles to bounce alot of same tier shots, dont get a very penetrating gun though sadly, King tigers were my nemesis in this tank forcing me to try to rush to their side and get shot by everyone while flanking unless using HE)

IS-3(great angles to make anything less than king tiger generally bounce, and anything below king tiger do minimal dmg before you kill them if they dont, Gun has 225 mm penetration so it can penetrate just about everything in the game without strong angles)

IS-4 (epic frontal , side , and rear armor, has 2 weak spots on front that you can aim for but incredibly hard to hit, unless right next to the tank)

VK3601(H) - (conical 7.5cm aka Konisch with the gold ammo is a gatling gun of doom that can penetrate up to 225mm of armor)

T-29- Jesus christ the turret is so annoying to fight. its annoying at long range and very close up even for IS-3, mid range while he closes on you , you can hit the hull for full dmg but anytime before or after its a throw up between hitting hull and that gigantic armored turret)

Defensive- if you like hiding in bushes or going behind the big heavies and following them so they are your tank and you are just fire support.

stug (the first fast and maneuverable tank destroyer, the grind from the hetzer up to this is horrid though. Hetzer gets placed in so many high tier games it sucks.)

jagdpz4

jagdpanther (more of the same but faster and higher dmg)

ISU-152 (awww yeaaaaa death cannon, that makes almost all heavies think twice about rushing in on you)

any of the T-29 and up american tanks can really go in here as well, since if they get a hull down position, they are nigh impenetrable by anything but tier 10 tanks.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 10:54:55 am by Journier »

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

You don't have to play the ISU defensively you know, it's a great terror tool as any tank will freak out when he sees you and immediatly try to either find cover, run, or kill you, the gun ensures all of the attempts fail ;)

Also, IS-3 has squat side armour, my KV hits the sides for up to 20% damage, but then again the KV is one of the more OP tanks in the game :)
AS - IG

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Fun fact: The real world SU/ISU-152 got popular in the red army for its ability to reliably pop the turret clean off of tiger tanks, even though it wasn't even intended as an anti-tank vehicle at all.

As an alternative to the Stug III, I'd recommend the SU-85. The 107 mm gun is wonderful, and the grind up is far less harrowing than spending time with the hetzer.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

Well it was an SPG intended for assaulting fortifications, but i guess 50 kilos of high explosives are equally effective against tanks :D
And the long 152 on it wasn't really effective, too big and unwieldy for a rather poor performance against armor
AS - IG

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I got my IS-3 the other day, maybe saturday?

anyways i spent like 3 days grinding the exp for it to get fully upgraded with the epic 225 penetration gun. it was pretty meh before that, but after it was good.

Today i grinded up like 800,000 credits for upgrades for it to install. First thing on the list is the Vertical Stab.

I install Vert. Stab. and go play a game, boy does it help!

20% faster aim time pretty much when you come to a full stop since the aim ring was smaller to begin with.

Anyways, reason im posting this is because i just had the most epic and amazing game ever in my history of WOT.

I had just installed the vert. stab. and was pumped to find out how good it was, so i was ready for a great game where i could run around and see how she performed at full speed. Got that one city map with the big park in middle (i sorta like and dislike this map).

Well long story short, about 4 minutes in im holding the entire right street against a king tiger, IS-4, and a jagdpanther, and my entire team has been destroyed on the left and its 5- 10 kills, we are losing horribly.

The IS-4 has been sitting out in middle of street thinking hes a baller since i first spotted him and i do the same, except i know where to hit him. I nail his driver view port 4x in a row almost perfectly and hes down to 25% health or so. He tries for a last minute rush to point blank range so i cant hit his viewport anymore and it works, until he tracks himself on my hull. I back up 5 meters and bang zoom IS-4 blew to the moon. King tiger is nearly full health, i begin turning with 50% health and hit him down to 75% as a parting gift.

At this point my team is 6-13.  I get the hell out of dodge, and cut all the way over to other side of map where i was watching minimap of 4 enemy heavies running toward our flag and passed.

I became what can only be considered the heaviest shark in the world at that point. I zoom in at 35km/h behind these half damage KV-3's and IS's and rear shot them, while they are trying to turn their turrets. I damage most of them for 25-40% without any of them ever firing a shot since i ran past them before they could turn their turrets all the way around, and since i was doing like 35km/h i just flew past their sides and giggled all the way back around the corner.

King tiger is up ahead and doesnt see me, I side shot him and head down another side street at full speed, this was too great.
All said and done i got 4 heavy kills including that IS-4 i killed all alone before i took a wrong turn and got raped by someone waiting for me.

i got right around 1600 xp for it too, payout is meh, thanks to me being high tier :(

not the most amount of kills ive ever had (8 is my max with a regular IS somehow), but it was the most heavy tank kills ive ever had that I could say were mainly my own :)

fun fun fun.

So now im looking at getting the IS-4, which ive somehow grinded 86,000 experience towards already in my IS-3.

the only thing i hate about the IS-4 is the retarded driver view window which is penetratable by like a pz 4 and up straight on.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 04:28:09 am by Journier »

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

my chat ban is ending on friday, at 6 pm central time, finally.  saw i think... lumonen ask that in bay 12 chat. ^_^

Also regarding arty...

I really really hate arty.

Today i got one shotted by an S-51 in my IS-3 while i was doing my bob and weave from across the map.
1400 hitpoints to 0 in a split second :(

screw that stuff. thats bs. still made money though (thanks premium) that is until i had to pay for my 8,000 credits of ammo ffffffffuuuuuuuu

edit-

and 5 minutes ago i just got 1 shotted again by a SU-14 AKA Bus, that somehow hid its gigantic ass behind bushes which i know are not as huge as its massive ass and direct shot me 100 meters away... seriously. sigh.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 04:49:15 am by Journier »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

Arty is not as bad as many people say it is, the whining about it is worse, sure you get one shotted every now and again, and sometimes you had it coming, but sometimes it's just bullshit to get hit like that, but just say nice shot and get into another game :)
Got my KV-3 yesterday, damn this thing is slow, i can barely break 30 kph going downhill, and this is with the upgraded engine and tracks, it makes me feel very sad to get last into a battle that's almost over :(
AS - IG

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

KV-3 is amazing, If you grinded through the original KV to get there i applaud you because, i just bought the original KV i skipped over and boy is that a giant pile of garbage.

KV-3 when i first got it, i thought it was the most amazing stuff ever, then I got the IS and thought that was the most amazing tank ever, then i got my IS-3 and thought that was the most amazing tank ever.

When i had the KV-3 and only the KV-3, i thought it was damn good, but now i dont even use mine :( Its my backup backup backup tank when i have 4 really really fast rounds and none of my tanks are back out yet. Still i played 200 some rounds in it before i moved into the IS, which i think i did around another 250 rounds to get into the IS-3 which ive done like 300 rounds in now ^_^

The IS is a dream by comparison, it honestly handles like a medium tank i think. and the IS-3 is similar but i think I like the IS more just for the handling (and the repair costs).

Also, Jopax i see you online you wanna platoon up? i cant type in game ^_^

edit0----

ok so i just wasted 37 battles in that garbage pz 3 scouting to grind into the pz 4 and oh my god the tracks traverse is so terrible, oh my god im gonna kill myself if someone doesnt. my god, im starting to think i was crazy for hating the M3 lee so much.

I do not remember my pz 4 being this way 4 months ago. Then again i had it fully upgraded, and the matchmaking system was much worse then and i hated it then as well.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 06:23:30 am by Journier »

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

For every time my 203mm instagibs a heavy, there's 10 shells that snagged a telephone pole, overshot a low profile tank or exploded a leo's track and nothing else with a direct fire shot between the drive wheels. And just shells that bounce a do about 10% damage with their HE effect.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile

For every time my 203mm instagibs a heavy, there's 10 shells that snagged a telephone pole, overshot a low profile tank or exploded a leo's track and nothing else with a direct fire shot between the drive wheels. And just shells that bounce a do about 10% damage with their HE effect.

Ahh, telephone poles. And buildings. And high terrain...bloody low arcing arty shells.

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The best defense against artillery is to be behind something that's taller than you. Indestructible houses work great. If that's not possible then keep moving and try to avoid moving in a predictable pattern. I normally play T57 and it takes some luck and skill to nail a light tank going at their max speed. A good/drunk driver in a Leopard is basically untouchable for my SPG. Also remember that if you can see their tanks there's a good chance their artillery(and antitanks) can see you.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 251