Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 251

Author Topic: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!  (Read 211528 times)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
Re: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!
« Reply #1725 on: February 16, 2013, 12:44:50 pm »

Alright, I've got the StuG and I've got all the guns on it. I like the 1-hit-kill capability of the 105mm, but I know the top 75mm is good, too. Which one should I get?
Nothing important here, move along.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!
« Reply #1726 on: February 16, 2013, 01:14:20 pm »

Top 75mm, no question. Higher RoF, very good accuracy (I know you enjoy sniping, right?), and most importantly 150mm pen with AP. By way of comparison, the long 122 for the KV-1S has 175mm pen with AP, and that with the long 122mm being a tier higher (the gun itself) than the top 75mm for the StuG. Put simply, the final 75mm allows you to fight effectively a good distance above your tier.

Put another way, the only other T5 TD that has a gun with higher penetration than the StuG's final 75mm is the S-35CA, and that gun has less than half the RoF, nearly double the aiming time, and markedly worse accuracy, with its only advantage being damage.

Put yet another way, that 75mm doesn't really stop being a viable option for German TDs until you get the T8 88mm (the second one) for the JgPanther.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: February 16, 2013, 07:25:51 pm »

It's a machinegun! With the 75mm you really have no disadvantages. You're fast, accurate, decently armored, small, agile, have high pen, moderate damage, good DPM, decent view range, good gun depression, etc. Granted, 350 HP is pretty low, but that's something most of the T5 TDs have to deal with.

They make my SU-85 cry. Other than 45 extra alpha, they are better in almost every way imaginable D:

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: February 16, 2013, 07:45:48 pm »

I think I might be getting better at this game...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Nothing important here, move along.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: February 16, 2013, 07:55:04 pm »

So as it turns out the JagdPzIV is a massive troll. Almost elited if you've elited the StuG, but you are stuck with stock until you get ~4k exp to unlock the second chassis. -_-'

3. Run Resize Enable

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: February 16, 2013, 09:16:13 pm »

On the other hand, it's soooo sexy!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: February 16, 2013, 10:01:42 pm »

True enough.

3. Run Resize Enable

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: February 17, 2013, 01:26:30 am »

Holy shit, finally mounting the 6-pounder on the crusader seems to make all the difference in the world! Before, I was lucky to really get much of the way of damage, and people tended to ignore me. But now, I can legitimately play as a flanker and harasser, and be able to really make enemies pay attention to me and not my teammates!

Heh, I spawned on Malinovka on encounter, and went hillside. However, didn't climb the hill, just found a rock near the hill to use as hard cover while the battlelines formed. The rate of fire from my gun is high enough that anyone trying to go lower road  really has to think twice and find cover or be shredded. I destroyed a PZ 4, a scout, and out-dueled a churchie (he kinda missed a couple times...I didn't) and landed solid blows to several other tanks, and gnerally caused a whole lot of mayhem and havoc that prevented any sort of organized flank of the guys on the hill. We won of course.

An assault on Sigfried line didn't go so well, but I did get the distinct pleasure of having a Ram-II driver cuss me out because I tor him up and killed him long before he was able to do the same to me(called me a POS scout, when the Crusader isn't a scout in any way shape or form. Just goes to show ignorance isn't always bliss!)
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: February 17, 2013, 03:08:23 am »

Had a very successful night with my platoonmates. According to wotlabs we ran 68% wins over 74 battles, which isn't too shabby! I also had a 8300 damage loss in my Jagdtiger, which was annoying. Regardless, lots of fun. High tier tanks are so nice, I love the slower pace of the battles :)

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: February 17, 2013, 03:22:49 am »

How one could stand to go through 74 battles in one night is a mystery to me, you know with my like 3-5 battles before I need a break. :P

ALso:

Still not sure why I enjoy the Crusader so much, all I know is certain people in DFC chat like to go "HURR DURRR T-34 better in every respect! WHY NO DRIVE THAT" and yet I never did as well in the T-34 as I do in the Crusader.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: February 17, 2013, 04:05:07 am »

Did 1334 damage to a TOG with one shot in the KV-2. On the topic of whales, I'm curious if I could submerge the KV-2 so only part of its turret is above water, and then take command the seas... not sure if drowning is done through the chassis or turret, though.

Anyway, is there any point to using AP on the KV-2 derp? It looks like it still does good damage, but the pen seems too low to make it that much more effective (or worth sitting through a reload for it). I do keep a HEAT round with me, but have yet to use it. It just seems inhumane.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: February 17, 2013, 04:20:13 am »

Not sure why you don't go mostly HEAT :>

Having a few AP rounds worked for my SU-152 since it has some 130 pen, easily takes out T7 tanks from the sides, funny thing that one.

Anyways, the Crusader is pretty awesome, but I still found the T-34 better since it's gun is better, and their mobilities are similar. You'll love the Cromwell in that case anyways, since it's distilled awesome that takes everything that makes the Comet good and ups it a tier :D

Edited, because derp similar names :C
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 05:05:56 am by Jopax »
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: February 17, 2013, 05:04:54 am »

Urm, the comet is the t7 medium, the crusader is the t5 light I'm sure you're talking about
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: February 17, 2013, 10:44:37 am »

How one could stand to go through 74 battles in one night is a mystery to me, you know with my like 3-5 battles before I need a break. :P

ALso:

Still not sure why I enjoy the Crusader so much, all I know is certain people in DFC chat like to go "HURR DURRR T-34 better in every respect! WHY NO DRIVE THAT" and yet I never did as well in the T-34 as I do in the Crusader.

Part of that might be because the two best guns the T-34 has are the top gun for the T-28 and the second shitty 76mm for the KV-1S. The 6pdr for the Crusader has comparable stats but nearly double the RoF, and the Crusader itself has higher specific power, traverse speed, and view range.

UrbanGiraffe, I don't know why you would use AP with the 152mm. I really don't. That aside, the KV-2 is one of the few tanks where having a 1:1 ratio of normal HE to HEAT would almost be reasonable, given the obscene reload speed you aren't going to be firing more than 5-6 shots in most battles anyway, and you can use plain HE for anything that isn't of equal or higher tier. Though even T6es probably don't deserve HEAT; I one-shotted a full health M6 straight through the frontal armor with plain HE last night, and did the same to the side of a KV-1S.

3. Run Resize Enable

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: February 17, 2013, 11:11:45 am »

Actually the 57 on the T-34 has nearly identical RoF, 10 more damage per shot and slightly higher pen values. But you can't beat that hulldown capability of the Crusader, simply awesome on certain maps :D

Edit: The 57 is also a lot more accurate with comparable aim time making it better at pulling off medium range shots.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 251