Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 251

Author Topic: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!  (Read 211500 times)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!
« Reply #1665 on: February 06, 2013, 04:56:35 am »

Well, there's a lot of reasons. The only real fast heavy in the game is the AMX50b, which quite frankly will be eaten alive by a T-62A pack before it has even reloaded. It's also twice the size of a real medium; this means it is a large, arty prone target, something that's very dangerous when you're up against teams with consistently good arty players. It has horrible camo, also, which is of course not a good thing.

Many tier 10 heavies are quite frankly bad. The IS7, for example, has little to nothing to offer that another tier 10 couldn't do better. It has quite possibly the worst tier 10 cannon in the game. It has abysmal agility and the speed is complete hogwash on anything but a runway or long slope. It lacks HP or gun depression, so survivability is almost completely depending on frontal armor... and as soon as you start bringing that into tier 10 matches or CW, you'll start to take hits from gold ammo, which negates a lot of its armor advantage.

What you're left with is a vehicle that's good for two things... going down hills fast and bouncing shells off of its turret... its quite sad, really. Similar can be said of the Maus these days.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!
« Reply #1666 on: February 06, 2013, 05:32:21 am »

Well the IS-7 had a role in the CW, and I belive my clan stil uses a lot of them (mostly because we have a lot more of them than any other tank) because it can rush a position and hold it for a while because it's front armor is still bouncy as heck unless you're at hugging range. The T110E5 is a better tank but it's also much harder to use, especially against gold ammo which negates it's armor even more than that of the IS-7

And the mediums are used because of their crazy combination of  DPM and mobility. The Batchat especially has seen great use in CW because it can also rush a position and hold it, not trough armor but with superior firepower that's enough to level pretty much any tank in a single salvo.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: February 08, 2013, 11:30:49 pm »

Just had probably my best round ever. 7 kills, 1900 damage, net nearly 22k credits, Top Gun, and Master Gunner. This elite KV-1 with the equipment bought on last weekend's sale is amazing.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: February 08, 2013, 11:34:22 pm »

Yeah, the KV-1 is awesome. The most iron walls of ANY tank I've gotten is 11 in my KV-1, and this is compared to my ARL(5) and my KV -3(3), both higher tier tanks!
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: February 09, 2013, 12:32:19 am »

That's in no small part because the KV-1 is reliably put into matches full of things that will ping it, whereas higher tier heavies tend to hurt pretty badly with every shot unless there's a massive imbalance (like, say, a KV-1S with the stock gun trying to pen the frontal armor of an ARL or an IS).

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: February 09, 2013, 12:53:04 am »

My most reliable steel wall tank has been the Valentine II. I think I've got something like 30 steel walls with that thing. Pity the gun has a hard time penning half the things it goes up against. Still, fun to just roll around having lower tiers unable to do anything to you... also slightly hilarious when I roll up against another Valentine II and we just pound on each other until we run out of ammo... or one of us gets lucky or desperate enough to use gold ammo.

I've had a few steel walls in the KV-1, but oddly enough, I rarely get put near the top. I'm usually somewhere near the middle.

Comp112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: February 09, 2013, 01:08:46 am »

I do not think words are quite needed for this.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: February 09, 2013, 01:14:42 am »

GOOMBA STOMP!!!!

Is that a PZ IV or a III/IV? I can never tell
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: February 09, 2013, 01:16:39 am »

I'm going to guess III/IV. One of the IV turrets has those outer bits of armor plate, and the other narrows a bit more at the back.

3. Run Resize Enable

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: February 09, 2013, 01:34:44 am »

III/IV
You can tell from having a PzIII suspension (PzIIIs have 6 roadwheel suspensions, pzIVs have 8 ) and being more sloped on the upper armour, the PzIV has no sloped armour.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Comp112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: February 09, 2013, 01:49:02 am »

PzIV is also bigger, and the upgraded turret adds spaced armor.

I guess I can explain why I did that. I was sitting there watching over the area, take a pot shot at this guy trying to break his tracks. Didn't work. His team spotted me, felt like I was getting hit by an M10 or something similar. So I figure, go out with style.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: February 09, 2013, 02:04:35 am »

Had a match a bit ago in my T-50. Three of my four kills were from ramming, and I only fired my cannon twice. Giggles do NOT stop. Granted, I died ramming a M7, but it killed him as well and was totally worth it.

3. Run Resize Enable

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: February 09, 2013, 11:21:01 am »

Victory!
Battle: Himmelsdorf Saturday, February 09, 2013 11:04:19 AM
Vehicle: AMX 12t
Experience received: 3,816 (x3 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 26,414
Battle Achievements: Confederate, Master Gunner, Sharpshooter, Mastery Badge: "Ace Tanker"

Given that most of my games with the 12t can be best described as nasty, short and brutish this was a really, really fun game. I was the bottom tank on the list, but because everyone ignored me all game, I just zipped around to fire into side and rear armor. I actually ran out of ammo, which was a first. 30 shots fired, 26 hit, 25 pens.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: February 09, 2013, 12:02:42 pm »

These recently released 8.4 details have me a bit excited. The new UK TD line looks interesting, and while that may be because I've grown accustomed to stale releases like the Chinese tree, I think it's more to due with how unique they look. They take the odd looks that are frequently seen in lower tiers (Like the Somua, Lee, Priest, Valentine) and add high tier viability to them.

It also pretty much confirms the German LT line will be stretched. I'm expecting we will see the VK1602 Leopard and/or VK2801 Cougar tier bumped to T5 and T6.

Edit: Oh, and the T10 UK TD has 1,150 damage with a turret that can turn 45 degrees to each side. Hehehe.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 12:14:02 pm by Rex_Nex »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: February 11, 2013, 02:32:00 pm »

Those British TDs look yummy. :3

On another note, I just had a match with a PzIII/IV that ended up being possibly the most useful teammate I've ever had. This wonderful person's actions lead directly to me doing substantial damage to a T-150 aand a M4A3E2, as well as killing a T-34-85 in my StuG, all while taking no damage until I rushed the T-150 to force him into the open for friendly arty. Picture of this hero enclosed below.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 251