Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 251

Author Topic: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!  (Read 211471 times)

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!
« Reply #1590 on: January 23, 2013, 09:54:41 pm »

Tier 4 tanks in general are relatively painful. The Lee, while difficult to play, is at least better than the Soviet A20 and the British Covenanter, in my experience. And then you get to the Sherman, which is one of my favorites.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!
« Reply #1591 on: January 23, 2013, 09:57:36 pm »

Actually, one thing to note about the Lee is that it is fairly overgunned for T4, so if you get in a position to hit people, you're going to hurt them pretty badly. It's just even more situational than TDs are, so it gets a (n admittedly somewhat deserved) bad repuation. On the other hand, it injects a certain degree of skill/patience requirement into the main U.S. medium line, which is a nice thing seeing how awesome the M4 is. It felt really good to finally get it, anyhow.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 10:41:36 am by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: January 24, 2013, 07:42:16 am »

. . .

So I hear they are working on multi-turret support yet they're not? Who's telling the truth?

Also, did anyone else here join as early as the closed beta? I feel kinda in the dust, considering this just sat around on my computer for about a year. I don't remember buying myself an NC-31 or a T1 medium. . .

Multiturrets... I don't even know about them any more, They should of been in a year ago with the french tanks.

Yeah I've played since closed beta with a significant break between the time I got in and a couple months before release. Since release Its actually been one of the few games I don't outright abandon for months. (Not that I've gotten anywhere regardless.)

The tier 1s you got are because when the devs add a new nation to the game they give you the tier 1 of that nation automatically. (Along with a tank slot for that free tank)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 07:50:45 am by Rilder »
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

ranter

• Bay Watcher
  • Shall we dance?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: January 24, 2013, 11:50:12 am »

Well, I've been getting into this game since about a month and I'm enjoying it. The fact that it forces you to work with your teammates, like dota or lol, is the thing that gets me in, apart of how tactical it is. Less twitch skills, more thinking.

I'm going with the american artillery, just bought the second weapon for the M37 (The first one had a ridiculous range of 350 meter. Serioudly? I heard that stock guns were bad, but nor that bad) Though the tendency to be matched against T6 tanks is quite unfortunate. Also I've been dipping a bit into russian antitanks and light/medium tanks, though I'm not even at T3 with them.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: January 24, 2013, 03:10:54 pm »

Ranter, that's how arty works. You're always going to be placed in matches 2-3 tiers above you, because otherwise it would be massively overpowered. OTOH, I get the feeling that between the arty nerfs and the upcoming T9-10 arty, that's going to change. Also, at least your range can be upgraded. The SU-26 is a wonderful little monster in all other respects, but it can't even get full map coverage on something like Ensk unless you've moved up.

3. Run Resize Enable

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: January 24, 2013, 03:37:39 pm »

Why, did you come into it from the Matilda and not the Valentine? Cause the Valentine has 3/4ths of the guns of the Churchill, so you only need the tracks and the turret and you can actually contribute a little! (note you can't really contribute a lot until you get the last gun, since that has the best pen at 140 or so).

Yeah, from my post, it still is a bit of a pain to grind, though the number of times I've been hit for no damage is absolutely ridiculous(even from guns that SHOULD be penning me!)

Yes, I came from the Matilda... I mostly went that way because I had a premium Valentine from the closed beta days that I love but have played way too much, so I wanted to try something a little different. Of course the Matilda really is just a bigger, slower, better armored valentine, so it wasn't all that different, but hey, it's the reason I'm going with. Should I just go back and buy a valentine, work on its guns and just grind the churchill's tracks and turret while I'm waiting on the guns? If the British Valentine is even 3/4 as good as the Soviet Valentine, I'll have no problem doing that.

In any case, I'm getting hit pretty good while in the Churchill, it's definitely not as resilient as the VII or the Soviet Premium Churchill, but I believe a good chunk of the damage I'm taking is from Arty, so it might just be bad luck in the few battles I've run in it. I did seem to have a streak of bad luck yesterday when I was playing, I didn't do well in any of my tanks, even the Stug which I usually play pretty well in.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: January 24, 2013, 05:09:33 pm »

well if you've run the Valentine as a premium, you know how to run it effectively(though I do forget what gun is no the soviet premium), do be advised that the first 75 has only 90 pen(but 110 dam), which is the reverse of the seconds 6-pounder (110 pen and about 75 dam), so up to you as to what to use
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: January 24, 2013, 09:33:04 pm »

I just got another reminder of why it's never good to give up in this game. I've been running my T-50, and predictably enough ended up in yet another T8 game. Normal mode of operations would be to act as eyes while staying alive as long as possible, particularly in a match without arty, but something happened. I was working with another light to keep the cap revealed when an enemy T-44 showed up. That is, a T8 medium against a T4 and a T5(?) light. The other guy circle-strafed the T-44 putting shots into him, and managed to get him to turn ~90° away from me. Now, I was using the 57mm cannon, so I had about the best penetration and damage I could hope for with a T4 light, and I put three shots into his side at 90° from less than 150 meters. The first bounced, the second did minor damage, but the third started an engine fire that ate ~3/5ths of his health. I coup de grāce'd the T-44 with a fourth shot, and the two of us capped while the heavies were slugging it out on the far side of the map.

See, even scouts can get kills if they're clever about it.  :P

Also, hi UrbanGiraffe!

3. Run Resize Enable

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: January 24, 2013, 11:00:55 pm »

Heh, I kind of felt bad for killing their matilda in that round, especially on a map like redshire.

I had a similar experience in a luchs, where I killed a KV-1, wolverine, and hetzer on airfield. It was pretty silly.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: January 24, 2013, 11:42:10 pm »

Ooh, yeah, I love playing lights on Airfield. All those little side passages are beautiful things.

e:

Hahahahaha! Mwahahahaha! If you ever want an example of why the KV-1 is a keeper, let this be it:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Last man standing, and when I because that there were five enemies left, the Churchill, the two M4s, the StuG, and the Type T-34. Radley-Walters, Spartan, Defender, Top Gun, and Mastery Badge 1st class. Bloody beautiful game, and a close one as well. It seems like every time I start to get bored with WoT it gives me a reminder of why I play. :3
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 10:04:34 pm by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

Markus

• Bay Watcher
  • [Alignment:Lawful Bacon]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: January 26, 2013, 01:02:20 pm »

Hm. . . was the Bay 12 Channel taken down?

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: January 26, 2013, 01:24:23 pm »

It's not a permament channel - it goes down as soon as number of ppl on it reach 0.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: January 26, 2013, 02:37:29 pm »

BLAAARGH. I'm starting to get really pissed by the absolute poor gun depression the Churchill has with the 75 HV. Seriously, if I'm on any sort of bump at all I can't aim at tanks right in front of me(or at least aim at spots I might have a chance of penning). it was especially noticeable on El Haluf, specifically while climbing the hill on the left side. I'd have to get basically to the top before I can even fire at guys just around the corner there!

I'm just about done with british tanks. I might pick them back up when the tds and arty debut though
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: January 26, 2013, 02:50:24 pm »

I dabbled with the Brits for a bit, but couldn't get past the Covenanter. That thing was miserable.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: January 26, 2013, 03:18:34 pm »

So, I have almost saved up for the M4 Jumbo. Wanted to get some thoughts on it. Looking at my stats, my highest efficiency tanks are the American mediums. I love the Sherman (saving it for money making, have it elite), and am enjoying the E8. Any insight on the Jumbo? It'd be nice to have an American heavy, as well, down the line.

For context, I run Soviet Heavies (currently up to T-150 and KV-1S, almost to IS in that line) and American Mediums (as described above) as my primaries. My money makers are the Stug III, T-34, M4, and KV-1. No premium account or tanks (yet). Appreciate any input.'

EDIT: I should note, the alternative would be to buy a KV-2 for the lolz.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 03:20:59 pm by Maldevious »
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 251