Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 251

Author Topic: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!  (Read 211459 times)

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!
« Reply #1575 on: January 23, 2013, 08:14:34 am »

Based on the matches I've played, most people generally end up playing mediums, heavies, and tank destroyers. Lights definitely have their place, though, but most of your experience comes from spotting other people for your team, so it seems that many people find that less rewarding than actually damaging the opponents themselves.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
Re: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!
« Reply #1576 on: January 23, 2013, 08:32:25 am »

Of course, the lights spotting enemies is ridiculously important, since SPGs, TDs and often heavy tanks are useless without targets.
Nothing important here, move along.

Chosrau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: January 23, 2013, 09:41:30 am »

Also, sit behind bushes, not in them. I see so many people park their tanks inside one so the frontal armor is peeking out of the front of the bush, completely oblivious to the fact they are getting no camo whatsoever :P
This, so much. It's almost painful to watch. Always remember that you can use the third-person camera to check your cover.

If you have a forward scout it's even better to be far enough behind a bush so that he isn't transparent in Sniper View anymore. That way you don't lose the camouflage bonus of the bush when firing, altough it makes it a tad harder to aim, as you cannot see the terrain behind the bush anymore.

Even if lacking a forward scout, you can still use this tactic. Drive right behind the bush and wait until you spot an enemy, then drive backwards until the bush isn't transparent anymore, aim and shoot. Wait a bit until your camo-modfier gets back up, drive forward again and repeat.

The second tactic is only useful if you have a long reload time (otherwise you hamper your shell output seriously) and the mobility(or you will spend more time driving then spotting and aiming) to pull it of. This is one of the reasons I prefer the Jagdpanther II over the Ferdinand.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: January 23, 2013, 09:52:10 am »

In higher-tier games, lights have the most difficult and one of the most important roles: Staying alive in a match full of heavies and mediums 3+ tiers above them, at least long enough to relay enough information to make a useful impact on the match. Lights are also important for doing flanking runs to kill enemy arty; it's more than worth it as a light to die killing enemy arty if there's only one or two SPGs per team.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: January 23, 2013, 10:04:53 am »

Lights also have one of the biggest disadvantages (the higher tier ones mostly) in that they must rely on their team to do their job both correctly and on time.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: January 23, 2013, 10:26:46 am »

Yep. Playing T4-5+ light well is one of the most difficult that there is, for a myriad of reasons. On the other hand, you can hit 70km/h without pushing your tank off a cliff.

3. Run Resize Enable

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: January 23, 2013, 10:32:10 am »

The biggest mistake people make when playing lights is to charge into an enemy line expecting to be able to outrun/traverse everyone there. It's better to play passively, providing line of sight alongside some shortsighted heavies, until an opening is available to run through and kill their arty or flank their TDs. Staying alive should be the main priority, as light tanks get more useful as the match progresses. Dying in an early charge does nothing for your team, even if it is tempting when in a tier IX fight as a tier IV light. You're quite useful for your sight, so avoid a fight in your light, unless someone has a better suggestion to write. (rhymes, yay!)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: January 23, 2013, 11:07:46 am »

On the same note, if you're ever climbing a hill or traversing your hull more than ~25 degrees while moving within enemy LoS, you're doing it wrong. The keyword is long, straight-line sweeps along the front, not a penetrating charge or sharp turn. Or you can buy camo netting and binoculars then play as a bush scout.

3. Run Resize Enable

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: January 23, 2013, 01:08:15 pm »

Just got the churchill I... I can tell I'm going to be in this tank a long time...

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: January 23, 2013, 04:20:13 pm »

Just got the churchill I... I can tell I'm going to be in this tank a long time...

Im sorry D:

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: January 23, 2013, 05:36:40 pm »

Why, did you come into it from the Matilda and not the Valentine? Cause the Valentine has 3/4ths of the guns of the Churchill, so you only need the tracks and the turret and you can actually contribute a little! (note you can't really contribute a lot until you get the last gun, since that has the best pen at 140 or so).

Yeah, from my post, it still is a bit of a pain to grind, though the number of times I've been hit for no damage is absolutely ridiculous(even from guns that SHOULD be penning me!)
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Markus

• Bay Watcher
  • [Alignment:Lawful Bacon]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: January 23, 2013, 07:58:35 pm »

. . .

So I hear they are working on multi-turret support yet they're not? Who's telling the truth?

Also, did anyone else here join as early as the closed beta? I feel kinda in the dust, considering this just sat around on my computer for about a year. I don't remember buying myself an NC-31 or a T1 medium. . .

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: January 23, 2013, 08:01:46 pm »

I'm brand new, feel good that you've even played before.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: January 23, 2013, 08:43:01 pm »

. . .

So I hear they are working on multi-turret support yet they're not? Who's telling the truth?

Also, did anyone else here join as early as the closed beta? I feel kinda in the dust, considering this just sat around on my computer for about a year. I don't remember buying myself an NC-31 or a T1 medium. . .

They're the T1s for the British and Chinese lines. Insert mandatory Poe's Law disclaimer here.

But yes, I've heard rumors that they are, but it is apparently difficult. If it ever happened, the Lee would be approximately 742% less annoying to play. Maybe even to the point of being fun outside of specific situations.

3. Run Resize Enable

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: January 23, 2013, 09:20:03 pm »

The Lee does mark me as a 'you poor bastard' kind of tank. You'd think, at the very least, they'd have the sense to have made the one gun that would actually make the tank remotely useful the one you could use. Now, it's a tank destroyer that has none of the advantages of being a tank destroyer.
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 251