Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 251

Author Topic: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!  (Read 211457 times)

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
Re: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!
« Reply #1560 on: January 22, 2013, 06:02:55 pm »

Great, this wont be like Planetside 2 for me then.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!
« Reply #1561 on: January 22, 2013, 06:27:17 pm »

Very easy to get into buy challenging to master. More strategic than twitchy.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: January 22, 2013, 07:37:57 pm »

Yeah, if you think some of the player stupidity in PS2 is bad...

"I just saw half my team charge across a killing ground with no cover. That same field is now dotted with their burned-out hulks, and I only spotted one enemy during their suicidal charge."

"I know! I'll charge them, they'll never expect that!"

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: January 22, 2013, 08:01:09 pm »

The tiering system in WoT makes it more newbie friendly than Planetside 2, where everyone, regardless of their skill levels or equipment, can engage against each others.

Tier 5 is considered as the turning point, at which your individual performance has enough impact on the final outcome of the match. By the time you get there, you will have accumulated enough knowledge and skills to understand basic tactics (how a team can effectively split to different chokepoints, when and how to flank) and map knowledge and positioning (where to take cover or being able to snipe without getting detected). The next challenge is learning how to effectively engage enemy tanks by knowing your own and enemy tanks' characteristics.

And it's very true that this game is less twitch, more tactics. A tank has a slower fire rate than an assault rifle wielding soldier in Planetside 2. Each shot counts, so knowing when to shoot without being shot yourself and where to aim are critical, albeit all these happen in slower pace.

For newbies, I'd greatly recommend Soviet heavy tank line, the one leading to KV-1 at Tier 5 and IS-3 at Tier 8. KV-series are great for its tier due to their armours and firepower, if a bit slow. However that slow speed encourages you to check on the minimap and evaluate your route, instead of rushing blindly towards enemy positions. Combined with its survivability, I think it is a great learning platform. When you reach IS at Tier 7, you will be introduced to a different gameplay that relies more on mobility. As a newbie, I had a lot of success with IS-3, my first ever Tier 8 tank, and multiple patches and updates later, I still think it's one of the best Tier 8 heavy tanks out there.

I would not recommend French tanks because they require a lot of skills and concentration to play.

Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: January 22, 2013, 08:05:27 pm »

I'll be fair to the stupid players, I sometimes pull dumbass moves too. Even so, I've only driven my tank off a cliff once, and that was with a T1 that I didn't have to pay to repair anyway. I feel bad for the people who put their T5s in the drink because they're not paying attention to their driving. Or however they manage to drive a 75,000 credit piece of hardware into a lake.
Nothing important here, move along.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: January 22, 2013, 09:51:28 pm »

I'll admit, I've jumped my tanks off of cliffs before, just for the rush. But only at round end or when I had a shot at goomba-stomping someone.

But yes, one of the key things to remember is that if you're not stationary in a bush, anyone you can see will almost certainly be able to see you, which means that all of their buddies will as well. If you kill someone and it's even remotely plausible that they spotted you, relocate, even if only temporarily. Sitting in one spot for multiple shots is asking to be bombarded by everyone on the field.

In terms of upgrading your tanks, the general common recommendation is to go for your engine and track upgrades first. The only point where you should break is for a class-specific issue, like a short-ranged radio on a scout or a terrible gun. Always be sure to check the weight of upgrades compared to the part you're upgrading from, as well. On the note of shitty stock guns, check your next tank up the line before selling your old one and buying the new. If there are common parts, try to unlock them before moving to the next tier, as it makes it easier to elite the new tank. It can also prevent situations like (drawing from personal memory) buying your shiny new KV-1S, going into a match, and promptly realizing that the stock gun is a pile of garbage that pings absolutely everything, and that you should have unlocked the derpgun for the KV-1 even if you weren't going to use it.

3. Run Resize Enable

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: January 22, 2013, 10:33:34 pm »

Also, sit behind bushes, not in them. I see so many people park their tanks inside one so the frontal armor is peeking out of the front of the bush, completely oblivious to the fact they are getting no camo whatsoever :P

But yea, take it slow, don't sweat it. Everyone is going to be bad at first. Just remember that the game doesn't have it out for you!

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: January 22, 2013, 10:47:55 pm »

I park in bushes, but I'm smart enough to make sure the bush obscures my entire tank before relying on it.
Nothing important here, move along.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: January 22, 2013, 10:48:42 pm »

Also, sit behind bushes, not in them. I see so many people park their tanks inside one so the frontal armor is peeking out of the front of the bush, completely oblivious to the fact they are getting no camo whatsoever :P
This, so much. It's almost painful to watch. Always remember that you can use the third-person camera to check your cover.

3. Run Resize Enable

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #1569 on: January 23, 2013, 12:35:02 am »

BTW, i just won a free t-shirt from playing world of tanks
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: January 23, 2013, 06:16:39 am »

Thanks for all the tips, but, quick question:
Do light tanks have any advantage over the heavy ones?
Their damage, health, and armor are null compared to the heavy tanks.

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: January 23, 2013, 06:31:49 am »

speed and sight range, generally. also some of them (ELC ELC ELC) are so tiny that some heavies cant actually shoot them if they facehug you. Which means the heavy is a free kill if they get caught in a bad position and dont have friends around.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: January 23, 2013, 06:32:19 am »

Interesting...

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: January 23, 2013, 06:50:01 am »

Not to mention that elc got great gun for t5, that can penetrate even t9 weakspots.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: January 23, 2013, 06:50:53 am »

Thanks for all the tips, but, quick question:
Do light tanks have any advantage over the heavy ones?
Their damage, health, and armor are null compared to the heavy tanks.

Light tanks retain their original camo value when they move. Other tanks have reduced camo value when moving.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 251